Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
When I was a kid we didn't have production crews lol

I did! We used to borrow our Dad’s camcorder. Me and my friends tried to do a “spooky” film when we were 8 or so. It was called something stupid like Ghost Tree.

Okay, it was exactly called that, but still...

I had this twisted tree which never seemed to blossom in our garden that looked kinda creepy when it was night time, so we did a few shots of that. Though come to think of it, it was mainly shots of us climbing the tree. The plot wasn’t quite finalised and the cameo (Corey from next door) was rubbish. Boy didn’t even read his lines beforehand and just seemed to want to climb the tree.

Goddammit Corey, that wasn’t your job.

Anyhow, we finally got our 30 minutes of footage and plugged it into the TV with those red/white/yellow cables to admire our Citizen Kane. Turns out my cack-handed hack of a brother was recording when it was meant to be turned off, and vice versa. Whilst we got some lovely grainy footage of his feet and distant cries of “quick, record this bit!”, that was the end of our endeavour for film making.

Well, there was another time I did film making, but that involved a downtrodden motel and fluffy handcuf— yeah, that’s a story for another time.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Zooming seems to work great for me. What would using all 3 lenses accomplish?
Dunno, I thought they'd achieve greater detail by combining three shots. Google does this with a single lens on the Pixel phones, taking advantage of the user's unsteady hand to get shots from slightly different angles, and having multiple lenses would make that more predictable. The Pixel 4 is already known to have two front-facing cameras, so we'll see what they do.

The digital zooming works as well as 12MP will enable... it's good, but the iPhone 11 non-Pro is the same, as are many Android phones. (I know Android phones often tout "lotsa megapixels" but take noisy photos, but some, like the Pixel, have actually good cameras now.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sidewinder3000

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Looks great. Wrong time of year for snow, though :cool:

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.35.44 am.png

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
My goodness, that is damn fine quality!

It's hard to imagine how far in just 9 years the iPhone has evolved since the iPhone 4 or 10 years old from the very blurred photos and SD video of the iPhone 3GS.

Pretty incredible. Gotta say, the iPhone 11 Pro is a beautiful piece of design. Apple should be very proud.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
It looks like mushy, high-compression garbage. Why wouldn't they upload a high-bitrate 4K version? Ridiculous.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The way the camera capture the sun-lighting through the trees was outstanding. Pretty amazing what smart a phone is capable of today. (More specifically, the iPhone.)

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
Nice.. but I guess it has less to do with the camera :)

Apple should include a macro camera :) like this one

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Not sure what Apple is thinking, but I just don't see any professional photographer/director holding an iPhone Pro shooting the next tv series for HBO.

Reactions: TVreporter

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
This is a great video, and the 11 and 11 Pro have incredible cameras. But I'm thinking this could've been shot with similar quality on the S10 or Note 10 (I'm choosing those because they're typically the top of Android when it comes to videos).

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Of course a good filmmaker was behind this and a crew with gear/ gimbal, etc. But why shouldn’t Apple want to attract filmmakers with small production budgets, crew and gear?

Instead of buying/ renting „expensive“ cameras like the RED (yes I know there are more expensive) they could just use the iPhone Pro for certain projects.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California

Apple this afternoon shared a new video in its long running "Shot on iPhone" series, this time showing off the photographic capabilities of the iPhone 11 Pro.

The new "Snowbrawl" video features a cinematic snowball fight between two warring teams.

"Make your holiday videos epic with the highest-quality video in a smartphone, ever," reads the tagline for the video, which was directed by David Leitch.

Article Link:​
Apple Shares New 'Snowbrawl' Shot on iPhone 11 Pro Video​
What editing software did they use?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
i'm never pressing the record button again on my iphone 11 pro after watching this...i'll stick with drawing comics until Apple proves I suck at that too.

• Haha
Reactions: fairuz and martinX

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Of course a good filmmaker was behind this and a crew with gear/ gimbal, etc. But why shouldn’t Apple want to attract filmmakers with small production budgets, crew and gear?

Instead of buying/ renting „expensive“ cameras like the RED (yes I know there are more expensive) they could just use the iPhone Pro for certain projects.

Or creative young people who might have a phone and want to explore filmmaking. Back when Spielberg/Scorsese/Coppola/De Palma/etc were young and in school it was an 8mm Kodak Brownie film camera. Today it's a phone

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
It's odd that iPhone 11 Pro doesn't actually use its 3 cameras together. They're just there so you can choose between different lenses. More importantly, digitally zooming into photos doesn't work that well. I thought it'd have a sensor capturing more than 12MP with lenses that big. So, overall pretty underwhelming for something so expensive and over-the-top looking.
Not trying to "Jobs" you here but it sounds like you're not using it right. You can absolutely zoom between all 3 lenses while shooting video or taking photos using the scroll wheel. There is an annoying jump from the 0.5x lens to the 1.0x lens but it's usually not noticeable if you doing handheld shooting.

Also, there are apps that allow for video shooting on all lenses simultaneously. I don't think Apple has an app supporting this functionality but they obviously have an API for it because it was demonstrated and exists. This feature alone justifies the "pro" label because no other smartphone camera can do anything close with such good results as far as I know.

Yechiel Rosenfeld

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019

As seen on multiple shots a hidden Hollywood star behind all this
[automerge]1575396421[/automerge]
Amazing camera. When it comes to video, Apple is really ahead of the rest of the industry.
With amazing Hollywood directors as seen hidden in the background multiple times!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.01.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.01.55 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.05.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.05.55 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.