Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in iOS 14 plans to allow users to set a third-party app as the default email or browser app on an iPhone or iPad, replacing the current Apple-made default apps Safari and Mail.

safari-chrome-ios.jpg

Apple hasn't provided many details on the new feature to users, but as noted by MacStories' Federico Vittici, Apple has shared documentation with developers who want their apps to have the option to be set as a default email or browser app.

According to Apple, developers will need to meet certain guidelines and when those parameters have been met, there's an option to request a managed entitlement that will allow the app to work in lieu of Apple's own apps.

Default browser apps must provide a text field for entering a URL, search tools for finding relevant links on the internet, or curated lists of bookmarks. When opening a URL, apps must navigate directly to the specified destination and render the expected web content without redirecting to an unexpected location.

Apps designed with parental controls or a locked down mode can, however, restrict navigation. Email apps set as default must be able to send a message to any valid email recipient and must be able to receive a message from any email sender. Apple says that apps that offer user-controlled incoming mail screening features are allowed.

Third-party browser apps set as default will open up automatically when a URL is tapped instead of the Safari app, while third-party email apps will open when a mailto: link is tapped.

Apple's full documentation can be found on its developer website. Apps will need to be updated with entitlements to be able to be set as the default browser or mail app in iOS 14, so no apps have that functionality at the current time.

We should begin seeing apps able to replace Mail or Safari as default apps close to when iOS 14 launches this fall.

Article Link: Apple Shares Requirements for Default Third-Party Browser and Email Apps With Developers

Reactions: KeithBN

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Like to see an option to replace other apps like the phone, calculator, music, weather, reminders, contacts etc...
Like to see an option to perform iOS backups to other or personal cloud servers.
Also like to see emoji updates not tied to iOS updates that way older devices can maintain latest emoji sets or an option to choose which emoji set I want to use when talking to different people.
Finally would like the option to revert to any iOS version supported by your device.
Guess I'm describing android devices.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hopefully Maps/Nav is the next 'baby step'.
I am sure the Google lovers are giddy with anticipation. I like Apple Maps, especially in conjunction with the Apple Watch. Even though I hate Google, I am glad that Google lovers will get their chance soon.
[automerge]1596497913[/automerge]
Like to see an option to replace other apps like the phone, calculator, music, weather, reminders, contacts etc...
Like to see an option to perform iOS backups to other or personal cloud servers.
Also like to see emoji updates not tied to iOS updates that way older devices can maintain latest emoji sets or an option to choose which emoji set I want to use when talking to different people.
Finally would like the option to revert to any iOS version supported by your device.
This is the Apple Orchard Forum. I think you are lost. :p

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
Dude emoji updates being tied to major updates is ridiculous. Hell, most of these iOS updates that could be broken out into specific updates for apps is ridiculous.

i think we can start expecting setting default apps for other apps as the years go on. Feel like iOS 15 we’ll see a lot.

I mean, it’s ridiculous that it would even take that many versions of an OS to do that lmao.

Reactions: JosephAW

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
I am sure the Google lovers are giddy with anticipation. I like Apple Maps, especially in conjunction with the Apple Watch. Even though I hate Google, I am glad that Google lovers will get their chance soon.
[automerge]1596497913[/automerge]

This is the Apple Orchard Forum. I think you are lost. :p
Google lovers? How about stop trying to **** on people that prefer something different than you?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Google lovers? How about stop trying to **** on people that prefer something different than you?
What is wrong with Google lovers? People who like Google apps and prefer them over anything else fit the bill. Same thing goes with people who love certain Apple apps or other third party apps.

When you look to be offended, you are never disappointed.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Good to see Apple being reasonable about opening up iOS just a little more. I really do think it is their “OS of the future” to use cheesy marketing terms, especially if they can just work towards better covering macOS features and getting developers to take chances with full software that isn’t necessarily touch friendly.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hopefully Maps/Nav is the next 'baby step'.

That would be nice. Although I'm hoping that they'll allow browsers to use something other than Webkit first. If we have to have one before the other.

Firefox for Android is my favorite mobile browser. Since I can use real add-ons with excellent ad blocking and tracker blocking.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Next up, hopefully, Users will be able to set "2" third-party Cameras as default, "1" for Single-Shots & "1" for Short-Duration, High-Perf Bursts (e.g., Full-Res 12 Mpx photos @ 30 fps & up-to 45 photos per set) !

Long overdue !

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014

Apple in iOS 14 plans to allow users to set a third-party app as the default email or browser app...

Does anyone know if Apple will also require these apps to return the favor and respect other default app selections? If GMail becomes my favorite mail client, I expect it to open Safari if that’s my default browser. Alas, Google doesn’t do that currently - even when you tell it via its own settings ?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Can a third party browser use something besides WebKit?

This could be the way to finally really have non-Apple approved apps on iOS... even if we're forced to use WebKit, it might be possible to augment it enough to make websites within it feel like native apps (IE, storing more data onboard than Safari would allow, disabling pinch-to-zoom and scrolling and hiding the navigation bar so it feels like a proper native app instead of clearly just being a website.)

Webapps could start promoting third party browsers that handle them better than Safari.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Excellent for those who like iOS but rely heavily upon apps like Gmail and Chrome. For me, I don't need my work suite that much to have to alter things, but its a nice option. I'll probably leave the defaults as they are, but it never hurts to have the choice.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Dude emoji updates being tied to major updates is ridiculous. Hell, most of these iOS updates that could be broken out into specific updates for apps is ridiculous.

i think we can start expecting setting default apps for other apps as the years go on. Feel like iOS 15 we’ll see a lot.

I mean, it’s ridiculous that it would even take that many versions of an OS to do that lmao.

“ridiculous”? Nah, i think its genius. New emojis get people to upgrade to newer versions that include security updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.