Apple Shares Short Ad Highlighting Apple Watch Bands

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today added to its collection of Apple Watch Series 4 ads with a new short video highlighting its selection of Apple Watch bands, which come in many varieties including the Sport Band, Sport Loop, Milanese Loop, Modern Buckle, Hermès, and more.

Apple has been promoting the Apple Watch Series 4 frequently in recent months, with a "Flight" ad and a series of tutorial videos.

Article Link: Apple Shares Short Ad Highlighting Apple Watch Bands

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

3. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Let's just agree the world is a better place there aren't even more professional advertising people than there are now. No telling what their bosses would have them polishing up to sell us.

4. ricktat macrumors 65816

5. Pezboy macrumors member

Pezboy

I really don’t understand apples business model with the watch bands... The way apple advertises every 3-4 months when they get new colors you’d think that people are just eagerly awaiting the opportunity to buy a new band in a slightly different color. Are there actually people out there that have like 10-15 different bands to match their outfits and moods? Everyone that I know that owns an Apple Watch owns exactly 1 band. Maybe my friends aren’t affluent enough and I surround myself with cheap people? Idk.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What’s with all the Miami Vice colors?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2019 ---
    You just described half the kids on Instagram.

7. strategicthinke, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019

strategicthinke macrumors 6502

strategicthinke

I have about 8 of them. Accumulated over 4 years, though. The thing is, I’ve tried third-party bands, they are simply NOT up there with the quality of the Apple ones. Leather, sports band, every single one is extremely well-manufactured by Apple, and they way they are durable makes it feel worth the price tag.

8. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

I own four different bands, two Apple and two from a third party manufacturer. I have an Apple Sport Band and an Apple Sport Loop as well as a brown leather and a black leather band. Each serves a different function depending on what I am doing. It is one of the Watch’s best selling points and perks of the ecosystem. I wouldn’t wear my white Sport Band with a navy suit. The leather band cost less than $25 each.

Many people on these forums have WAY more bands than I own....WAY more.

9. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Nah, Apple Watch is a hit, not as huge as AirPods but Apple reportedly will sell something like 25-30 million this year. It’s overtaken Mac sales and will exceed those of iPad within the next year or two.

Even though they’re quite a bit more expensive than most often the knockoffs, many users prefer genuine Apple bands. With Angela Ahrendts leaving soon, I think some of the watch band hate will dissipate.

10. now i see it macrumors 68040

Won't

11. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

I don’t think many things Apple are really worth the price when comparing them to the same product made by different companies to get what you need them to do, but I do believe Apple prices most things around the apex of their Price/Demand curve to be as profitable they can be. They are a premium, status brand.

That being said I think they are most out to lunch on watch band pricing. Sports band and sport loop pricing is $69 here in Canada. With tax that’s almost $80’s for a silicon or woven watch band? A leather band starts $200. Definitely not worth it to me especially not knowing when Apple might make them obsolete with a new watch design.

Half those prices and I’d probably buy a couple bands. They have to be making some serious mark up on those I would think as well. I actually think this is an instance with how much more demand they could drive would make them more money to sell at a lower price. Maybe not at half at least a third or so less at least.

12. Shirasaki, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019

Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I don’t see woven nylon band here. Feeling disappointed. All Apple are selling are either expensive steel band or “cheap” sports band, which I am allergic to.

13. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

An ad for an accessory for an accessory for the iPhone. Tim would approve!

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I’m similar - sport loop, Nike sport band, black leather, brown leather, woven nylon. The first two are OEM, the others third party. And I agree with you - the ability to change a band and have the same watch work for different settings is a great feature of Apple Watch.

15. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

16. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

The watch is the best Apple product on the market.

17. gyang333 macrumors member

I would assume Apple have stats on how many bands they've sold vs how many Apple watch they've sold.

18. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I have 12 bands and change them based on outfit....

19. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Of all the features on all the products, you think the watch bands are the best Apple feature? I mean, yeah they’re fun, stylish, and I suppose high-quality and functional, too... but best Apple feature? lol ok well you’re entitled to your opinion!

I guess you probably own quite a few; which is your favorite?

20. apolloa macrumors G4

I keep thinking I need to look at a new strap, but the Apple ones are massively incredibly overpriced and the choice out there is just mind boggling! I mean you have to google what’s the best none Apple strap to buy theirs so many! A flipping watch strap!

21. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

The Apple Watch is more than just an iPhone accessory, isn’t it?

22. pratikindia macrumors 6502

pratikindia

I never wear Apple Watch with any watch bands with suit. Automatic/Chrono is the only choice for me with that.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Just want to add this:

I was a huge collector of Apple Watch Sport bands when the watch first launched, and I didn’t necessarily agree with Apples price point of $50 for a sport band, so then I started purchasing third-party bands that ‘looked’ like Apples bands for a fraction of the Price. I quickly realized that even though Apple charges a premium for their sport bands, the quality is unmatched by third-party bands and there’s a clear difference in the materials Apple uses is that much of higher quality and construction. I realize if you want something nicer in life, you pay the price for it. Apples sport bands are clear example of how well-made they are for every day activities (I.e Gym, swimming, outdoor activities) we participate in.

24. Remy149 macrumors regular

I currently own 30 bands some first party some cheap 3rd party ones. As someone who wears an Apple Watch any time I’m not sleep being able to dress it up or down or make it match different colors is wonderful. This is no different then the people who own multiple mechanical watches for different occasions. I’m sure there are plenty of people who never change their bands however I don’t see how Apple marketing to those of us who do is a problem. It’s also not a bad investment since it doesn’t look like Apple is changing the band connectors any time soon. I’ve owned some of my bands since the generation 0
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2019 ---
    I always wear my Apple Watch with a suit. Adding a stainless steel loop and changing the watch face really dresses it up.

25. MacOH21 macrumors member

I have three bands: the black sport loop original to my series 1, a nomad leather strap, which is ok, and a black nylon sport loop, which is my favorite.

Oh, and yes, the humanity’s vanity is on full display on Instagram. It’s horrible, IMHO.