Apple Shares the 'Best of 2019' Highlighting Top Apps and Games, Plus First Apple Music Awards

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today hosted an event in New York City where the company announced its annual "best of" lists, highlighting the best apps and games of the year, along with sharing details on the musical artist of the year and the top song through the new Apple Music Awards.

After sharing details with members of the media, Apple released all of its top picks in a new article available on its Apple Newsroom site.

This year, Apple is recognizing its favorite apps and games for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac, and there's a new Apple Arcade category.

- Apple Arcade Game of the Year - Sayonara Wild Hearts by Simogo (Apple Arcade)
- iPhone App of the Year - Spectre Camera by Lux Optics ($2.99)
- iPhone Game of the Year - Sky: Children of the Light by thatgamecompany (Free)
- iPad App of the Year - Flow by Moleskine (Free)
- iPad Game of the Year - Hyper Light Drifter by Abylight S.L. ($4.99)
- Mac App of the Year - Affinity Publisher by Serif Labs ($49.99)
- Mac Game of the Year - GRIS by Devolver / Nomada Studio ($4.99)
- Apple TV App of the Year - The Explorers by The Explorers Network ($4.99)
- Apple TV Game of the Year - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap by DotEmu ($7.99)

Apple has also announced the first ever Apple Music Awards, likely meant to be similar to other music awards like the VMAs and and AMAs. Apple has named Billie Eilish its Global Artist of the Year and the Songwriter of the Year along with her brother Finneas. Lizzo is Apple's breakthrough Artist of the Year, and the Song of the Year is "Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X. All of the winning artists are receiving a special Apple-designed award.

Apple plans to hold a live awards ceremony at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park Campus on Wednesday, December 4 at 6:30 p.m. The event will include a live performance by Billie Eilish, and it will be live streamed so Apple customers can watch.
Apple Music will celebrate the inaugural Apple Music Awards with a bespoke performance from Billie Eilish at the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park. The show will be unlike anything ever seen from this unanimously crowned Artist of the Year. This exclusive event will be streamed live around the world on December 4 at 6:30 p.m. PST.
Apple's full article has a more complete list of details on all of the apps and games that were highlighted, along with more information on the Apple Music Awards.

Article Link: Apple Shares the 'Best of 2019' Highlighting Top Apps and Games, Plus First Apple Music Awards

Last edited:

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I think the Spectre thing is great. Kudos to the devs on that one, is well deserved. The Apple Arcade category seems kinda strange but I definitely think that Sayonara deserves that as well

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Pretty obvious they should leave this up to an independent body not an extension of Phil Schiller's summary App Store judgements. The games of the year should be categorized by genre not Apple marketing lingo.

Reactions: seanrt and Huck

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
iPhone‌ Game of the Year is “Sky: Children of the Light by thatgamecompany” ?????? I laughed so hard, these are such cherry picked awards. It’s definitely not the most popular game. I call foul.

There’s no way that game beats out MarioRun ! With 2.85 million times downloaded just on the day of its iOS release and grossing 5 million dollars.

So how these awards are actually determined undermines reality.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/3/20992527/apple-iphone-ipad-top-games-2019-mario-kart-call-of-duty-fortnite

Last edited:
Reactions: TracesOfArsenic

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
iPhone‌ Game of the Year is “Sky: Children of the Light by thatgamecompany” ?????? I laughed so hard, these are such cherry picked awards. It’s definitely not the most popular game. I call foul.
Why would you think it has anything at all to do with being "the most popular"? Did you somehow skip right over this part: "This year, Apple is recognizing its favorite apps and games"? You may note it does not say "This year, Apple listed the most downloaded apps and games", since that'd be uninteresting. As for "cherry picked"...er, yes, that's kind of the entire point of awards. I suppose you yell at the Oscars if they pick movies that weren't the highest grossing?

--Eric

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Now they’re trying to do awards shows. Apple really wants to be Hollywood all of the sudden.
Where else would they want to go at this point? It's not an engineering company anymore (if it --ever-- was one), there are no innovative hardware products coming out of Cupertino anymore and now that Sir Yve's gone, they even lost the creative mind behind their graphics/industrial design department. They no longer know how to build cars, so they focus on selling gasoline (read: content) instead.

At this point, even Microsoft looks much more creative and innovative than Apple -- especially when you need TOOLS to get WORK done. But unlike Apple, Microsoft even caters to the desires of GAMERS through their Xbox ecosystem. And they're not trying to be Hollywood or rock stars - they still know that they're a tech company.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Apple has also announced the first ever Apple Music Awards, likely meant to be similar to other music awards like the VMAs and and AMAs.
Oh Apple , please don’t. Don’t ridicule yourself by pretending to become an arbiter of artistic taste. It’s laughable and pathetic. Focus, focus,focus. Stick to what Steve Jobs wanted Apple to be , making technology that is delightful to use ( not that you particularly succeeded at it recently, but at least keep trying )

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
Waiting on the Walmart awards. Samsung can’t be too far behind. Remember kids the market doesn’t determine winners, Apple marketing does.

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
Billie Eilish songwriter of the year ? Of the year ?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?

/shakes head...

👎
Guess they just export Excel, sort "from largest to smallest" streams on Apple Music and invites, whoever comes in first. Drake was "Artist of the year" by Apple Music last year. There is no big artistic filters on this, just whatever is popular and mainstream at that time.

Reactions: !!!

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia

There’s no way that game beats out MarioRun ! With 2.85 million times downloaded just on the day of its iOS release and grossing 5 million dollars.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/3/20992527/apple-iphone-ipad-top-games-2019-mario-kart-call-of-duty-fortnite
MarioRun doesn't beat Sky if you consider graphics/visuals, playability, music, uniqueness... design challenges etc.

MarioRun only wins based on downloads old game ported over to iOS with some graphic updates... no awards for that.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN

I quit watching award shows many years ago because they were boring, too political, and I usually disagreed with the experts about what movie / song deserved to win. About the only thing I remember is there were different types of award shows, some based on general popularity (i.e. People's Choice Awards) and other based on "experts" (i.e. The Oscars). While I probably won't watch the Apple awards, I feel that Apple has as much right as anyone else to bestow awards on their favorite games, apps, etc. based on whatever criteria they choose. I also think this is a great chance for Apple to cross promote their services - people who watch the awards that are mainly interested in music will be exposed to the games that are winning awards and vice versa.

iMi

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2014
Now they’re trying to do awards shows. Apple really wants to be Hollywood all of the sudden.
Have you watched any of the Apple originals? Product placement boarders on excessive, if not pathetic. Remember that Apple is now run by an accountant, so 30 second commercial spot these days costs how much? Now imagine having an entire show where every device is an iDevice. Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Everyone seems to have forgot the iTunes music festivals they used to run, usually in London IIRC. I actually would watch them live from my iPhone (4 and 5) or from iTunes on my old Windows 7 PC before I became a totally brainwashed Applesheep decided to upgrade to a better desktop with my iMac. So Apple did non-tech related stuff before. Granted not direct advertising or product placement like today but still.

They were usually quite fun.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7