Apple Shipped 14.5M iPads in Holiday Quarter According to Strategy Analytics

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple shipped an estimated 14.5 million iPads in the fourth quarter of 2018, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.

[​IMG]

Apple no longer discloses iPad, iPhone, or Mac unit sales in its earnings reports, leaving us with these estimated figures, which can vary quite significantly between research firms. With the iPhone, for example, estimated shipments have ranged from 65.9 million to 68.4 million to 71.7 million for the quarter.

Apple reported sales of 13.2 million iPads in the fourth quarter of 2017, when it was still disclosing unit sales, so the Strategy Analytics data suggests that iPad unit sales have grown nearly 10 percent on a year-over-year basis.

Strategy Analytics estimates that the iPad's average selling price was $463, an increase of just over four percent from $445 in the year-ago quarter. This sounds unsurprising, as Apple raised prices with its new iPad Pro lineup in 2018, with the cheapest model starting at $799 compared to $649 in 2017.

Apple remained the world's most popular tablet vendor, easily topping Samsung's estimated 7.5 million tablet shipments in the quarter, according to Strategy Analytics. Amazon, Huawei, and Lenovo round off the top five with an estimated 5.5 million, 4.6 million, and 2.3 million shipments respectively.

[​IMG]

On an operating system basis, however, Android tablets from multiple brands still commanded an estimated 60 percent of the market.

Apple reported iPad revenue of $6.7 billion in the quarter, a 17 percent increase over the year-ago quarter.

Article Link: Apple Shipped 14.5M iPads in Holiday Quarter According to Strategy Analytics

2. sza, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019

sza Suspended

They could double the sales if they could make it a bit cheaper and significantly increase their revenue on both device sales and service sales. Moronic strategy. Tim Crook should step down.

Update:

I can’t believe some of you think iPad mentioned in the article is the entry level iPad. It’s all their iPads including iPad Pro! How can the entry level iPad sales price averaged at $460!?

3. ryanwarsaw, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019

ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Increase of 1.3 million units with a price that's up 4% on average. Good stuff. Who couldn't use an additional $600 million bucks?

4. kaneda macrumors 6502

They are going to increase the price for the iPad. :)

5. LordVic macrumors 603

wait... there are still relevant Android tablets? TIL

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Freaking amazing performance by iPad. Great job.

7. calstanford macrumors regular

Honestly, who uses an Android tablet. I've only seen five year olds with one watching youtube. Other than that...?

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

A new iPad is $329. There's likely a new one coming very soon, for probably that price. They're cheaper than ever now.

What else do you want? To get an iPad for free? Do you want Tim Cook to give you $100, instead of you paying him?

Jesus.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Your hypothetical scenario is backed by nothing other than the speculation that they'll "sell more if they lower the price." That doesn't always make the most revenue.

Based on the numbers, iPad did phenomenally well, growing at 17% y/y. Absolutely phenomenal and you call it moronic. Thank god you don't own any shares, so you have no say.

Apple shareholders love Tim Cook. That's why they voted to keep the board.

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

I am sure they sold a ton of iPads during the holidays as their discounts were huge on the non-pro model (dropping as low as $229 for 32gb).

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

12. Haswell macrumors regular

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

:eek:
    Yessssss! That sounds great! Make it happen! ;):D

14. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

They were $229 a few weeks ago.

15. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Get outta here with your facts and your insight!

I'm always amazed by the lack of balance on this forum—from Apple fans and critics alike. Personally, I want Apple to lower its prices, but that's because I'm incredibly cheap. From the perspective of the CEO, there might be no incentive to do so. What I want and what's best for Apple's bottom line are two different things.

Apple's products aren't best because of the revenue they bring in, and Tim Cook isn't the worst because he maintains high prices. These are two non-conflicting notions that people seem to treat as being mutually exclusive.

16. AEdouard macrumors regular

They made the right move with their cheap but totally competent regular iPad and pricey but crazy above the rest of the playing field iPad Pro.

Now they just need to improve iOS on the iPad more. iOS 11 was a good step in the right direction, but more is needed.

17. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

Not at all surprised. The 2018 iPad Pro is a beautiful machine.

18. CosmoCopus macrumors member

19. AEdouard macrumors regular

Yeah, their laptops are too pricey. The iPad’s price is totally fine.

20. timber macrumors 6502

Considering Apple's iPad pricing, iOS tablet apps I think Apple deserved to be a bit better.

Perhaps that is why they are increasing a lot faster from 17 to 18 than the others. Great base offer, polished OS, great apps. What is not to like for everyone looking for a tablet?

It is true iOS is lacking as a computer replacement but so is Android so they even out in mediocrity. Nowadays, I don't think Google is even trying, Chromebooks are now their non phone system of choice.

21. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

We use iPads at our research institute for Electronic Laboratory Notebooks. As unbelievable as it sounds, the iPads were the most cost-efficient solution (cheaper than suitable Android tablets, truth be told), through Apple's (weird) management and deployment solutions, the iPads could even be turned into pre-configured multi-user devices with very restricted user-privileges --> which in this case was exactly what we needed.

In my private life, I still think that tablets are at best glorified web browsers, ebook readers and digital board games. What our scientists are doing in the gene labs is one of the few professional use cases where tablets make sense.

The iPad Pro, on the other hand, is way too expensive, as is the Apple pencil -- the Logitech pencil is easily as good (for our purposes) and costs only a fraction of what the Apple pencil costs, and it works well with the regular iPad.

22. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

They did lower the price lol. There have been SO many sales on both the 9.7 iPad and the new 2018 ipads since Black Friday. Might want to do a little homework before you spout off incorrectly.

23. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

This. I think every single retail shop around the world should be reporting directly to Apple whenever they sell an iPad, because that's very possible and how we should be going about this stuff.

24. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

You're right. It's just a matter of being biased while on AAPL position or biased for "passion" therefore not/less/more reliable with comments.

25. timber macrumors 6502

You are being too harsh on tablets great capabilities in this post PC world.

They are also good for Youtube and Netflix :D