Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
The growth in the total number of tablets shipped was greater Than what Apple could reasonably grow with an already dominate share.
A loss 2% of the market I’m just pointing out what the numbers show. Obviously Apple is doing amazingly well by all metrics

Last edited:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
This. I don’t see how you can spin this into a bad thing.

It’s like Apple sold three more tablets, but then four competitors sold one tablet each. Does that mean Apple is underperforming? No.
The pie got bigger, but people are trying to compare the larger and smaller pies as if they are equal.

People struggle with numbers and analysis, but everyone thinks they fully understand it...just look at the mathematical geniuses analyzing the virus, lol.

Reactions: michaelandrl

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
True, but that doesn’t explain loss of market share.

I think this is explained by the fact that a lot of growth was not discretionary, I.e. Folks needed something as a result of the pandemic and gravitated to cheaper products; as good as the iPad is, if it’s largely only being used for “FaceTime,” it can be seen as expensive. We wanted to stay in contact with our mother in law (isolating for 12 weeks) and so we got her a tablet (Lenovo). Since this was essentially the only intended function at the time, it didn’t warrant the expense of an iPad.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
A loss 2% of the market is 7 million tablets. I’m just pointing out what the numbers show. Obviously Apple is doing amazingly well by all metrics
Lol, check your math bro. Wrong, completely. Your number indicates a 350M tablet market.

Your analysis is flawed and you’re drawing the wrong conclusion because of it. The pie got bigger primarily because Apple sold more incremental tablets than anyone else. Apple was the most dominant force in creating the larger pie.

38% share of a 37M market is better than a 40% share of a 30M market.

Reactions: rp2011

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Lol, check your math bro. Wrong, completely. Your number indicates a 350M tablet market.

Your analysis is flawed and you’re drawing the wrong conclusion because of it. The pie got bigger primarily because Apple sold more incremental tablets than anyone else. Apple was the most dominant force in creating the larger pie.

Yep I had edited my post after checking my math. But not fast enough lol.
But it’s still a loss of 2% of the market.
Again, Apple is doing amazingly well, and happy for Apple as I think they deserve it, not trying to kick someone’s puppy, just mentioning what the numbers show.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Yep I had edited my post after checking my math. But not fast enough lol.
But it’s still a loss of 2% of the market.
Again, Apple is doing amazingly well, and happy for Apple as I think they deserve it, not trying to kick someone’s puppy, just mentioning what the numbers show.
Again, 38% and 40% are meaningless. Imagine if it’s 38% of a 1 billion sized market and the 40% was a 1 million sized market.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Amazing growth in the tablet market. I wonder how many are tablets for kids. Seems like every kid I see in the back seat of a car has one.

Professor Rucy

Suspended
Jan 29, 2020
Tyler, Texas, USA
Apple leads in all categories except for desktops and smart speakers. But They don’t lead in OS market share in any of them. That’s his mantra.

“In fact, we don’t have a dominant share in any market or any product category where we do business.” —Tim Cook, July 29, 2020.

<— TC’s mantra.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011

This is essentially an issue of definition. What is defined as "better"? If it is defined by the absolute amount, a smaller share of a bigger pie could be better than a larger share of a smaller pie. However, if "better" is defined as the relatively advantage you hold against your competitor, 38% is worse than 40%. I would think both are important gauges of performance. As long as terminology is clearly defined, there is no need to argue which is right.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
“In fact, we don’t have a dominant share in any market or any product category where we do business.” —Tim Cook, July 29, 2020.

<— TC’s mantra.

I guess the key term here is "dominant". If it means dominant compared to the rest of the market combined, this is probably true. If it means dominant compared to any other single brand, it would be suspicious. At least I don't think any brand outsells iPad in the tablet market in the US.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Again, 38% and 40% are meaningless. Imagine if it’s 38% of a 1 billion sized market and the 40% was a 1 million sized market.
Lol that’s a lot. I’m not arguing, and Apple is doing amazingly well, just stating the facts.
And in this atmosphere of government anticompetitive smack downs, it’s probably good that Apple doesn’t completely dominate anything too much

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The pandemic has been good for the tablet market. Work and school from home has made iPads very popular tools.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Interesting that certain posters on here often state that "the iPad IS the tablet market" and "why do the the other manufacturers bother". It seems that 62% of those buying tablets disagree. And if only looking at the number 2 company, Samsung, it sells almost half as many as Apple. Not quite the "iPad is king" story many seem to want to believe and falsely tell to others.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Interesting that certain posters on here often state that "the iPad IS the tablet market" and "why do the the other manufacturers bother". It seems that 62% of those buying tablets disagree. And if only looking at the number 2 company, Samsung, it sells almost half as many as Apple. Not quite the "iPad is king" story many seem to want to believe and falsely tell to others.

as I said in an earlier post, I don’t think any of the manufacturers would be unhappy with their respective numbers and I think Samsung bother as they sell more half a million tablets a week or 1 a second. To put into context, more than every games console (including handheld) combined

Reactions: Expos of 1969

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
MS Surface doesn't make these charts?

I'm surprised iPad has less than 50% market share given the product mix I see in daily life. Lot's of Android phones, the occasional Surface, but never an Android tablet. There must be strong trends by country...

Also, and I direct this to Lenovo, any tablet maker behind Amazon Fire should sit in a corner and think about what they've done.
Yeah, when I look at youtube vids I get the feeling that the samsung Galaxy tabs are very popular in Asia. I think if you exclude Asia, the share of Samsung is going to go down by a lot.

MS Surface isn’t a real tablet in my view. It’s more a laptop with some (mediocre) tablet capabilities

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Yeah, when I look at youtube vids I get the feeling that the samsung Galaxy tabs are very popular in Asia. I think if you exclude Asia, the share of Samsung is going to go down by a lot.
if you exclude North America the share of Apple will go down so the stats are what stats are. No use in cherry picking by country or region.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Of course there will always be other types of tablets around. However, a distinction ought to be made between the premium iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil and magic keyboard and the cheap android tablet that’s really only good for running netflix. If you are serious about using a tablet to get things done, the ipad is the one with the specs and the ecosystem and the app support and it sometimes feels like Apple is the only company pushing tablet productivity forward.

I use my ipad to do the things I do as a teacher and looking at the current state of the tablet market, it looks like I will continue using an iPad Pro for a good long time to come.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
I still haven't found a place in my use case that supports a tablet. And believe me, I've tried.

Conversely, I haven't found a case for a laptop although I have also tried. (I'd love to have a MacBook Air.) I like the virtual keyboard on my iPad Pro and iPad mini 5 and they do pretty much all that I need from a computer. The addition of BT keyboard and mouse support kind of fills in the gap.

mr_jomo

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
MS Surface doesn't make these charts?

I'm surprised iPad has less than 50% market share given the product mix I see in daily life. Lot's of Android phones, the occasional Surface, but never an Android tablet. There must be strong trends by country...

Also, and I direct this to Lenovo, any tablet maker behind Amazon Fire should sit in a corner and think about what they've done.

If memory serves me - Microsoft, so far, very seldom makes it out of the "Others" category for tablet sales.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Another possibility is of course that for other manufacturers, "shipped" really means "shipped" but not necessarily sold. So there could really be a huge chunk of cheap tablets collecting dust in some warehouse somewhere.

Reactions: jdb8167 and CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Another possibility is of course that for other manufacturers, "shipped" really means "shipped" but not necessarily sold. So there could really be a huge chunk of cheap tablets collecting dust in some warehouse somewhere.
There’s also an awful lot of Android tablets that are cheap drugstore shelf $100 tablets that aren’t much good for, and don’t get used for, much beyond watching videos. Yet they contribute to the Android market share numbers.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Conversely, I haven't found a case for a laptop although I have also tried. (I'd love to have a MacBook Air.) I like the virtual keyboard on my iPad Pro and iPad mini 5 and they do pretty much all that I need from a computer. The addition of BT keyboard and mouse support kind of fills in the gap.

Yeah. I do like that new keyboard Apple out that holds the iPad Pro up above the keyboard. It's slick.

I write code but can't do that on an iPad.

I have an Air. I wish I'd bought a Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.