Apple Shipped an Estimated 4.2 Million Apple Watches in 3Q2018, With Series 3 Making Up the Bulk of Sales

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 3, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple shipped an estimated 4.2 million Apple Watches during the third quarter of 2018, according to new wearable device shipment data shared today by IDC.

Apple Watch shipments were up 54 percent year over year, with Apple having shipped an estimated 2.7 million devices in the third quarter of 2017. Apple's jump in shipments wasn't enough to make it the top wearable vendor, however, with that title going to Xiaomi.

[​IMG]

Xiaomi shipped an estimated 6.9 million wearable devices during the quarter, giving the company 21.5 percent market share, while Apple came in at 13.1 percent market share. Fitbit trailed Apple in the number 3 slot with an estimated 3.5 million wearable devices shipped.

Wearable devices as measured by IDC include basic wearable devices such as simple fitness trackers along with smart watches like the Apple Watch. Overall, the wearables market reached 32 million units in 3Q18, up 21.7 percent from 3Q17. Growth was up in Asia/Pacific, but declined 0.4 percent in the U.S.

[​IMG]

When it comes to Apple Watch shipments, IDC's numbers are estimates because Apple does not provide details on the number of Apple Watch models that it sells. Apple Watch revenue is included in Apple's "Other" category that also encompasses products like AirPods, Apple TV, HomePod, and more.

According to IDC, the Series 4 Apple Watch, which Apple released in September near the end of the quarter, accounted for less than 20 percent of all Apple Watch shipments, with customers instead going for the more affordable Apple Watch Series 3.
    While Apple does not share information on Apple Watch sales, during the most recent earnings call for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2018 (which corresponds to the third calendar quarter), Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the company's wearables category set a September quarter revenue record with growth over 50 percent.

Article Link: Apple Shipped an Estimated 4.2 Million Apple Watches in 3Q2018, With Series 3 Making Up the Bulk of Sales

2. SCMedic macrumors regular

Do you think it's possible that the S3 outsold the S4 because the S4 was only available for 2 weeks of Q3?Hmmmmm...

Stupid comparison.

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

Remember, these numbers are made up.

Has anyone ever seen someone wearing a Xiaomi watch?

4. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

Series 4 was only available for a couple of weeks during the quarter, yet it accounted for 20% of all Apple Watch Shipments if we believe IDC.

5. dfs macrumors regular

Affable??

6. brofkand macrumors 6502

I'd imagine if you asked people in China you'd get a lot of "yes" responses to your question.

7. gfurry macrumors newbie

This is for wearables and includes the $25 Xiaomi Mi Band. Hardly a fair comparison.

8. d0nK macrumors 6502

I don't know anyone with an Apple watch, although I did talk to someone once who was wearing one.

9. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

I think they sold more. I don't need to offer any further evidence.

10. Sasparilla Suspended

50%+ year over year sales increase and mostly before the Apple Watch 4 numbers get in there.

The prior year was a big jump as well - this product is turning out to be a great decision on Apple's part to stick with and keep adjusting and improving. The future looks very bright for Apple here.

11. Mars56 macrumors member

It probably depends on where you are, in the US and Canada they are pretty common while I’ve never seen a Xiaomi wearable around here. China probably would be the opposite and Europe maybe representing 95% of the Samsung market...

12. brofkand macrumors 6502

True, but that's the way the category is handled right now. It's a low volume market comparatively speaking, so I guess it makes sense to report it up that way.

13. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

And let me guess - over 80% of the profits in the industry?

14. j_in_tx macrumors newbie

The guy was just kidding. Everyone in the USA has an Apple Watch. Series 0 just gets passed down every year....now the high schoolers are wearing them. And they are still pretty good. More useful than most current non Apple watches on the market.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

What should they have done exactly? Hmmmm... Skipped a quarter of reporting just to be fair to the S4? Okay, but how do you think the S3 would feel about that. I mean, the S3 worked hard during the 3rd quarter. Is it the S3's fault the S4 couldn't be bothered to show up until there were only 2 weeks left in the quarter? You didn't think about that did you?

Who's comparison is stupid now? Hmmmm....

-Poe

16. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Apple probably sold huge quantities of the series 3 during Black Friday week when they were going for $199 (38mm) and $229 (42mm)

17. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI macrumors regular

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

18. genovelle macrumors 6502a

On the other hand, I know a lot of people who have Apple watches and see them out and about often. I don’t know anyone with an Android based watch, but I did see someone wearing on in a store a few weeks ago.

19. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

Yeah, probably...but have you ever seen one here?

20. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Two great examples of the ineffectiveness of anecdotes being evidence of anything relevant. We see what we want to see when we want to see it.

21. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

This isn’t about November sales.

22. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

No duh.

I was simply stating that if people were overwhelmingly choosing the more affordable series 3 over the series 4 during the 3rd quarter then it's likely that even more people chose the series 3 over the 4 during Black Friday due to the discounts on the series 3.

23. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

Series 4 was on sale for only 10 days during the quarter. Series 3 was on sale for 80 more days. People chose Series 3 because Series 4 wasn’t for sale.

Also, many Series 4 ordered in September weren’t shipped until the following quarter in October and wouldn’t be counted as shipments for Q3.

Apple sold as many Series 4 as they could produce in Q3.

24. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Still waiting for the Apple Watch Lite. No LTE, no health features or sensors. Just larger battery and iPhone notifications for $99

25. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

They already sell a non LTE version.