Apple shipped me wrong MacBook Pro (incorrect specs)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Koonie, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Koonie macrumors newbie

Koonie

My family purchased me a new 15 inch MacBook Pro online for my birthday last week. I was super excited for it to arrive, and it actually arrived today which was a day earlier than the scheduled delivery.

I did some research and I read somewhere to double check the specs to make sure everything was correct, and unfortunately when I viewed the specs, the graphics card was wrong... it was the 512 MB of GDDR5 memory instead of the 1GB of GDDR5 memory. We called Apple and they are sending us a new laptop early next week.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before? This is my first time getting a Mac computer and it is unfortunate to have things starting out this way...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So send it back. Apple will take care of it. It happens infrequently, but it happens. Nothing to worry about. When you ship about a million Macs a month, a small percentage of errors is to be expected.

3. Ryukouki macrumors regular

Yup, no big deal, they'll take good care of you. :)

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This is CRAZY, I would demand a refund and a free laptop. :rolleyes:

5. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Apple ships a million macs a month?? Hahaha, thanks for the funny joke...

6. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

and an iPod touch for the emotional distress, they spoiled his birthday.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

8. GGJstudios, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I can see the big smile on the face of the person who ordered a base model and received at least a 2.6ghz with 1gb gddr5 ram...

10. trikky macrumors regular

What did Apple say when you phoned them upon receiving your order?

11. Ryukouki macrumors regular

I can see the bigger grin of the person who asks apple whether they made an error and is told he can keep it. :D

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

And he can NEVER make up his birth day up so the amount of pain suffering must be handled with compensation.

13. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

each birthday comes once... :D

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Human error occurs all over this world.
    Even Apple does it sometimes. nbd

15. Koonie, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

Koonie thread starter macrumors newbie

Koonie

Haha some of your responses are funny. I was pretty disappointed that it was wrong computer. My dad managed to get $100 off of the replacement (he tried for more). They would not tell us where the order/shipment went wrong. Hopefully it will not happen again... Just another question though. With all of these iPhone5 pre-orders, do you guys think it will take longer for the computer to ship since the iPhone 5's are so high in demand?

The weird thing was, the 2.6 ghz model does not have an option for 512mb graphics memory (only 1gb graphics memory) and that is the laptop I received....

16. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i dont think it should affect a notebook shipment. especially one they messed up. apple takes care of its customers

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd wait a little bit before suing....just in case they already paid all of those lawyers on the samsung case through the end of the month.:eek:

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

512mb is the amount of memory on the integrated card(the HD4000). I'm starting to think you got the right computer, and simply misread the specs. If you look in about this mac while that card is running, that is the amount of video RAM you will see being displayed.

19. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

$100 OFF isn't bad at all, I must say Apple has superb customer service they like making their customers happy , most of the time at least, after all look how much we are paying $

20. Koonie thread starter macrumors newbie

Koonie

I checked the graphics, it said Intel 4000, NVIDIA was nowhere to be found...?

21. jasonbro macrumors regular

HD 4000 graphics is on the processor chip. NVIDIA is a graphics card.\Even if you have NVIDIA you also have HD 4000.

In the 15" MBP the HD 4000 auto switches to NVIDIA. Its been that way for many years. My 2010 does the same thing.

----------

^ now that i type this i was originally thinking of the imac and having different GPU memory specs.

But how the hell would they simply forget the GPU card in a 15" MBP?????

22. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

That's sort of odd, because like you said, you cannot configure a 2.6 model with 512MB of graphics ram.

On a side note, the 1GB or 512MB, whichever you get, is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M module. The Intel HD 4000 graphics is a separate chipset that is standard on both models.

23. jasonbro macrumors regular

I think if koonie got the right computer his dad should have to pay apple the 100 bucks that we all payed for anyways.

24. Koonie thread starter macrumors newbie

Koonie

Wouldn't my about this mac look more like this in terms of the graphics card? I know it says Retina but it is the same graphics card as the one I ordered. I don't understand why the graphics would say Intel 4000 512mb?? Help is appreciated

Attached Files:

25. jasonbro macrumors regular

Mine says intel HD and i have a card.

----------

Go to "system information" in the other folder in the launch pad thing.

Then click graphics/whatever the hell else it says.