Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogminlo

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2003
not sure if it's 64 bit - they're not shouting from the rooftops about it being so, so i'm not sure it is.

Why does this need to work on a windows computer? I hope the delay in getting this out isn't due to spending ages working on the windows port.

Allow me to crush this line of speculation:

Final Cut Server is based on Apple's acquisition of a company called Proximity and their Artbox product in the summer of 2006. Artbox ran on linux using a PostgreSQL database and a thin Java client that ran on either Windows or OS X. It handled QuickTime encoding using WINE on linux. Final Cut Server is really just a freshened GUI that with a revamped back-end ported to Leopard which now leverages Qmaster for encoding tasks. It also integrates tightly with Final Cut Pro (which Artbox did not).

So is Final Cut Server 64 bit? The thin client is just Java and QuickTime, so who cares if it is 64 bit? It doesn't need to be. The back end uses the already highly-optimized Qmaster engine for all the heavy lifting.

The Windows client functionality is key because this product is expected to work in a professional environment where Apple does not own all the desktops in the customer companies. This added zero time to development since this feature was already there in Artbox (besides, Sun did all the work anyway when they invented J2SE).

Blame the delay on Leopard being delayed, which is the iPhone's fault. Wait till next year for a new Final Cut Studio.

ogminlo

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2003
Maybe because paying clients want finished projects on Blu-ray?

Lethal

Doesn't DVDSP already support some level of Blu-Ray authoring? I know there isn't a BD burner built into any current Mac, but once upon a time DVDs were mastered to DLT tapes.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Doesn't DVDSP already support some level of Blu-Ray authoring? I know there isn't a BD burner built into any current Mac, but once upon a time DVDs were mastered to DLT tapes.
In a limited capacity DVD SP allowed burning of HD-DVD onto SD-DVDs.

Lethal

ogminlo

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2003
Java is slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I want a native Cocoa App...

How would a "native cocoa" thin client be any faster than Java? Your network connection is the bottleneck in this case, not your local platform. The real muscle is on the server side of Final Cut Server and it is totally native.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
you answered why YOU want Blu-ray ;) ....... itunes and ipods don't need blu-ray
No, I answered why Apple needs Blu-ray support in its Pro Apps (which was the question). *I* don't need Blu-ray nor does the company I work for currently. Professionals who need Blu-ray authoring abilities have already moved away from DVD SP so unless Apple wants to see more of their customers jump ship they need act sooner rather than later.

Lethal

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I was trained on FCServer by Apple last autumn, and while I can't go into details due to being under an NDA with Apple I can say that given so much additional time between what I saw then and the final release now, this ought to be a VERY solid and totally kick-butt, essential program! I sell Final Cut rigs and SANs for a living into post and broadcast environments, and I can tell you that Final Cut Server sales/deployments/training/workflow optimization/administration services is going to keep me and my company busy for a VERY long time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.