Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Apple sold about 7.6 million iPads in the last quarter. We may assume for arguments sake that half of those would have bought some computer; that is 3.8 million computer sales lost. Apple has a market share of say five percent, so Apple may have lost about 200,000 Mac sales in the last quarter.

Sounds about right. 7.6 million iPads minus 200,000 Macs, that's say about 4.5 billion dollar additional revenue. Yes, I'd call that "shooting itself in the foot".

Yeah, but, if we had real numbers, this would make sense, so we dont, and we can't. :)

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Apple sold about 7.6 million iPads in the last quarter. We may assume for arguments sake that half of those would have bought some computer; that is 3.8 million computer sales lost. Apple has a market share of say five percent, so Apple may have lost about 200,000 Mac sales in the last quarter.

Sounds about right. 7.6 million iPads minus 200,000 Macs, that's say about 4.5 billion dollar additional revenue. Yes, I'd call that "shooting itself in the foot".

But you are saying that these people would have bought a Mac and not a Windows machine, and that is not necessarily the case. (of course I don't have a clue as to who would have done what either, so...)

I bought an iPad as an iPad, not a computer replacement. Yes I am just one person (and people that know me say I am unique :) ). But surely there MUST be others that bought an iPad as an iPad.

And then there is this :

Conference Call Highlights

- Peter Oppenheimer: "Very pleased" to report outstanding results. Quarterly records for Mac, iPhone, iPad, total revenue, and total profit.
- Macs: New record of 4.13 million Macs sold...growth 8x faster than overall PC market. Fueled primarily by strong MacBook Air demand, as well as MacBook Pro. Quarter ended with 3-4 weeks of channel inventory.

Pulled from: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/1...6-billion-profit-on-26-74-billion-in-revenue/

EchoTheDolphin

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010

Without having done any market research all of your assumptions are baseless and based on data I actually have access to, wrong. (not trying to be a jerk but I'm not going to dance around the issue)

Most people buying the iPad (about 60-70% depending on the poll) said that the iPad was being purchased as either a supplementary device or as a device to fill a non-preexisting niche: IE: like a 16-year-old buying a car, it's not cannibalizing for a major percentage because they haven't been in the market for that device before.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Without having done any market research all of your assumptions are baseless and based on data I actually have access to, wrong. (not trying to be a jerk but I'm not going to dance around the issue)

Most people buying the iPad (about 60-70% depending on the poll) said that the iPad was being purchased as either a supplementary device or as a device to fill a non-preexisting niche: IE: like a 16-year-old buying a car, it's not cannibalizing for a major percentage because they haven't been in the market for that device before.

Thanks, I was wondering what the numbers were.

Now how many people have bought iPods, iPhones, or iPads, and then bought their first Mac?

paulos1990

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
leicestershire
I think that the fanboys will keep apple going on there own, the fanboys want every line of products there have.

And tbo I don't call myself a fanboy but if I had the money I would go out tomorrow and buy a iMac, MBA, apple tv and a MBP without a second though :)

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Some articles just shouldn't be written. This is a good example of one. I'm sure this author has more knowledge about all of this than the people that work for Apple.......or not.

The twerp can't even get the iMac,iPhone and iPad capitalization right! Whole way through its reffered as Imac Ipad and Iphone... :rolleyes: soo if he can't do that u expect any facts in there? LOL its like one of those anti-Mac people who type MACS suck because they don't know anything about them!

Gordon Gekko

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Wall Street
Do you think there is a possibility of a MacBook Tablet ?

Within 5 years the tablet form factor will dominate the portable computing market. Processors continue to get more powerful and component prices continue to come down. Before the end of the decade we will be able to interact with our mobile tablet devices using voice commands as well.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007

Actually those people buying 500 dollar iPads would have probably bought Windows Netbooks if the iPad didn't exist.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Actually those people buying 500 dollar iPads would have probably bought Windows Netbooks if the iPad didn't exist.

Not 100% sure as you could get 2 netbooks for 1 iPad.

An iPad is the price of quite a nice full laptop these days.

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
They aren't cannibalizing their own computer sales. They're cannibalizing Asus, HP and Dell's.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Sure, if every consumer was basing every purchase on "what's the best bang for my $500?" Just like with the car analogy you can get a fine car for $20,000 so why would anyone ever spend more? People do. The decision-making is more complex than you're making it out to be.

As for the editorial (because that's what it is, one - biased - man's opinion) you linked to, he has no special knowledge, he's just expressing a biased belief. And your posts tend to fall in line with what he's saying -- you want Apple to create an iPad that is a 100% MacBook replacement but at iPad price points. That is exactly what Apple won't do. We will absolutely see full-featured tablets from Apple at some point in the not-too-distant future (2013?) but they will do it in a way that ensures growth rather than cannibalization.

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois

You can't buy an apple laptop for $500. As other posters have said Apple is stealing sales from Asus and Dell not themselves. That being said I'm definitely going to wait on upgrading my MacBook now that I bought an iPad. What I might do is buy a mini, since all I need it for is writing papers and syncing my iPad.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
You need a computer to activate/sync the iPad.

Apple's sales for Macs have risen. Like Cook said, if this is cannibalization, it feels great.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
The Inquirer's article is ridiculous, it takes one small part of the overall picture and blows it up to "sky is falling" importance. If you look at Asymco's original article that the Inquirer is referring to you can see that Mac sales have consistently grown and the last quarter was another record quarter for Mac sales. The small part that the Inquirer is focusing on is that the sales didn't grow as much in the last quarter as they did in the quarters before. There was still a big rise in sales though and the growth was still much higher than the PC industry as a whole.

If this trend continues for a significant length of time then it maybe a sign of the iPad cannibalising Mac sales; or it could be a sign of the whole market slowing or a sign that people are choosing to buy Windows PCs. You would have to look at the whole picture to find out. And even if the iPad was cannibalising Mac sales I don't think that Apple would mind greatly. Having a large marketshare in the emerging smartphone and tablet markets is likely to be a stronger position than having a small marketshare in the old PC market.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The argument that I have seen, which makes some sense to me, is that since Apple is still a small portion of the overall PC market, they are more likely to be costing low end systems from Windows vendors. Meaning a net gain for Apple.

I know I've seen several iPads at work recently. I go from maybe the second person I know of at work to just one of a crowd.

And this is in an environment where the company doesn't buy too many computers (so these are people spending their own money). Most of the computers we use are bought by our customer, and are either Windows or Linux based systems.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
As a PC user, I thought the opposite, I thought people who'd never even heard of a Mac, would see what a delight the iPad is to use, and say

'Hey if the iPad is THIS good, their computers must be even better'

And would scrabble to buy a MacBook.

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
We all know that an iPad is not a laptop replacement and so does most other people who purchase them, if not they would surely return it after finding out how limited it is. An iPad is def a "luxury" item and a great addition to having a laptop, or desktop. If you don't need a laptop, then anyone who purchases an iPad is using it as an easier means to surf the web around the house or office...

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If apple controlled a majority share of the consumer pc market, this scenario could possibly be the case. But they don't, so there's room for the mac to expand.

There's still room, therefore for an ipad halo effect. Parents buy kids an ipad, marvel at the design and ios, etc. Their laptop or desktop later dies, becomes obsolescent or they get tired of scrubbing malware off of it. Mom and Dad may then remember the little macbook air they saw at the apple store or best buy when they bought the ipad...

That said, I have a 3g ipad and a 2 year old aluminum macbook with maxed out ram and a 7200 rpm hd. The alMB handles my relatively simple consumer needs quite well, and I have no plans to upgrade or replace it unless it dies out of warranty. Period.

OTOH, I may CONSIDER a new ipad if the v2 is 'all that and a bag of chips' or has a feature that can enhance my work. If it just has cameras and can pull up a web page 15% faster, I'll probably wait for the v3.

I don't think they'll introduce a new version that is dramatically better than the original, or people will (rightly) suspect that they intentionally hobbled the first one to force people onto the upgrade path. It will have improved specs and one nifty feature to encourage people still on the fence, or the 'newest fastest and shiniest' crowd, to buy one.

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
I think the people that an iPad can replace their computer probably would not have bought a higher end computer anyhow. If an iPad would be enough for you why would you have bought a 15"MBP? I dont think this is a real problem

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
If apple controlled a majority share of the consumer pc market, this scenario could possibly be the case. But they don't, so there's room for the mac to expand.

There's still room, therefore for an ipad halo effect. Parents buy kids an ipad, marvel at the design and ios, etc. Their laptop or desktop later dies, becomes obsolescent or they get tired of scrubbing malware off of it. Mom and Dad may then remember the little macbook air they saw at the apple store or best buy when they bought the ipad...

Apple is still to expensive for this to happen a lot.

Mom and Dad looking around to buy laptop for son/daughter see laptops in local superstores for £299 or £399 tops. This is a lot of money for many parents to find esp if they have more than 1 child and paying a morgage.

They look online for the cheapest Macbook nearly £900

Absolutely no way on earth.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Apple is still to expensive for this to happen a lot.

Mom and Dad looking around to buy laptop for son/daughter see laptops in local superstores for £299 or £399 tops. This is a lot of money for many parents to find esp if they have more than 1 child and paying a morgage.

They look online for the cheapest Macbook nearly £900

Absolutely no way on earth.

How about dad, and not the cheap, fat assed mom (yea I got issues, so what), buys his girl a Macbook for college because he doesn't want to deal with silly cheap WalMart PC problems like he does with coworkers computers on a weekly basis ? How about that same dad remarries and buys his new wife's 20 year old daughter a nice iMac for school. (Cause she wanted a desktop, it better suited her needs anyway.) Neither one was the cheapest. All I have ever done was update to Snow Leopard. They both still run licitly split. I learned a long time ago, cheaper is not always better.

Life's too short to use cheap, junky computers.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I had a Apple store in my mall and never even went in. I knew what Apple was (I'm a Windows Server Admin) but considered their hardware to be just to expensive. That being said I had been interested in the iPhone but being on Verizon it was only just a "Eh, maybe someday." Then I saw the keynote for the iPhone 4. I wanted one and Verizon was not going to stop me. I got it on release day and loved it. I wanted MORE. I was sick of my windows desktop, it was old and ready for a refresh, off to Apple for an iMac. "Wow this thing is cool." I wanted MORE. Ordered an iPad, got my wife moved to AT&T and got her an iPhone. Still not enough. Got myself a 13" Air for Christmas.

Not all, but it seems lots of people, once exposed to Apple via the iPhone or iPad are drawn to their other products due to their simplicity and quality.

The iPad in the long run helps sell many of Apple's other products.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.