Apple shoots itself in the foot with the Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What do you think?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1939790/apple-shoots-foot-ipad

There is probably some truth in this. Many people only have 1 bundle of money and if it goes on say an iPad or two for the family then perhaps that old iMac will just have to last another couple of years.

Or perhaps we don't need to get a Macbook now.

As well as the current iPad (computer extension) Perhaps Apple will need to look at making a full spec Tablet with a higher price in the not too distant future also?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Apple just had their highest quarter in terms of laptop/mac sales, highest ever, so this seems null...

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well if you use the iPad for the majority of what you used your computers for then upgrading them isn't all that important. Makes sense.

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I honestly think that is spreading FUD.

Jobs has publicly stated that he believes iPad as the future of computing and Cook is on record stating that if this cannibalization than it is a good thing for Apple.

The bottom line is that over the last 9 months, Apple has gained in PC marketshare consistently and sold over 14 million iPads - a category of device that did not exist one year ago.

No matter how you cut, selling 14 million iPads is hurting other firms a whole lot more than Apple

Finally, due to the fact that there are legitimate applications for the iPad that as of yet have not been replicated for Android or RIMs platform, there is only one full featured tablet running a mobile OS - the iPad.

It may not have a quad core processor with a 400 megapixel camera and 4 terrabytes of flash storage, and 8 gb of memory, but until competitors are able to come up with something that even resembles Keynote and the like, there is only one viable tablet in the most ambitious use of the term.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are always those that like to predict the demise of Apple with every product launch and every underwhelming update

The general public apparently doesn't read these obituaries

6. RedWings macrumors regular

Some articles just shouldn't be written. This is a good example of one. I'm sure this author has more knowledge about all of this than the people that work for Apple.......or not.

I think people are starting to get away from the desktop computers and moving in a direction where each family member has a laptop. With the prices of laptops being very competitive these days, it only makes sense. Of course there is still a demand for desktops, but Laptops/tablets are the new thing for computers.

Wherever the market is going, Apple will have its hand in there. I see years from now a device like the Motorola Atrix will be in big demand. Everyone having a smartphone that you can dock to a laptop, TV, etc.... One device you can use for everything.

7. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Do you think there is a possibility of a MacBook Tablet ?

8. RedWings macrumors regular

My opinion is that is the next logical step when it comes to tablets. Having an OS that is really close to OSX. Something that you can use a bluetooth mouse with and use a keyboard dock.

Again...one device you can use for everything.

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I am not quite sure what FUD stands for, but don't think its good.

So it sounds like FUD to me.

Apple has a runaway freight train with the iPad, and I don't think there are enough spec whores or Android fanboys to derail this train.

While laptops have put a dent in the desktop market, they haven't come anywhere near killing it. I see the iPad killing netbook sales, which Apple doesn't produce. I feel that iPad helps Mac sales, not hurt it. And Apple had record Mac sales last quarter, whether that was due to the iPad or not is to be determined, but it is safe to say that they damn sure didn't hurt.

10. Queso macrumors G4

It's The Inquirer. Every Apple related article they've ever printed is negative.

Every single one.

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

There is that. Plus iPods are down (the only category that is down) because people are buying more expensive iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches. Pundits never count them as iPods in the same way they don't count Touchs as tablets or iPads as computers. Asymco is a good site. Read them directly. The Inquirer makes British tabloid journalism look good by comparison.

12. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

To be honest, I have seen a number of even Apple people post comments about either not hardly at all, or very rarely using their MacBooks since getting their iPad's.

I don't know the long term affects or the numbers we are talking about, but if a lot of general consumers find the iPad is answering their needs more, as more apps come along, and perhaps the iPad2 with a bit more power and even stronger apps come along, a few more % may feel the iPad is enough for them.

It is bound to have some effect. I mean why update your MacBook if you are only using it once in a while now you have your iPad?

Not everyone of course, but there is bound to be some % swing.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If Apple makes more of a markup on the iPads than on its laptops then this is a good thing financially. People are more inclined to upgrade their tablets once a year then they are their MacBooks.

14. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

yeah the iphone was also a very stupid move by apple look how it has become the most popular smartphone in the world, i mean what kind of company wants to succeed?

15. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

That is very different though, the iPhone was a fresh product in a fresh area to populate.
    The iPad could be seen, potentially, as a laptop replacement for some people.

I'm not just saying for Mac, PC's also.

People who have laptop PC's now and who really only use it for what we would consider light use, email, web, facebook, ebay, writing the odd letter, and some light games, also may think twice about getting another laptop if they have an iPad or Android tablet which answers their limited needs.

Which is fine as long as you are not selling a $500 device and people slow down buying your $1000 device.

16. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

MBA, Mac Mini and iPhone relatively minor updates??????

17. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

but you know the ipad was also kind of fresh. there were some tablet pc:s before the ipad but none of them was as awesome as the ipad. so the ipad was really (as steve jobs would say it) "revolutionary".:)

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Those things have existed for ages, although sporting Windows and not Mac OS X but long story short, they weren't a success and that is the reason Apple came up with iOS (iPhone and iPad).

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think there is going to be some cannibalization, which is to be expected, but as some other posters have said the hardest hit will be the netbooks, which Apple doesn't produce.

It has also created a market for some who wouldn't have normally bought a desktop or laptop anyway.

My mom, for instance, doesn't have a technical bone in her body. She hasn't touched my Dad's laptop (she wouldn't know what to do with it if she did), but I talked her into purchasing an iPad about 6 months ago. She just wanted to be able to check out facebook :)rolleyes:), check her e-mail, do a little light websurfing, and read books. It's been perfect for her. It's easier for her to use than a netbook or laptop...you push the home button and voila, it's on.

People like her, I believe is what has helped with the success of the iPad. Like most other things Apple, it's easy and it just works. She has no clue how to send a text message on her phone, but she can easily work the iPad. It's great for technophobes and those who would just have no use at all for a desktop or laptop.

20. MrWillie, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

But they sold what, 4.13 million Macs last quarter? New record for them.

21. aluren macrumors 65816

Them saying that Apple's products are "mediocre hardware that's overpriced" is partly true. But the masses don't care about specs as much as the experience/prestige of owning an Apple device.

22. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

They forgot to take the halo-effect into account. I'm tempted to buy a MacBook or air to develop for the iPad.
    Looking into an applaud for airplay.

Got myself an airport express for traveling with the iPad in hotels.
    Not to mention that I bought an iPod because I had figured out iTunes and digging the autoplaylists.

And of course I'll lean towards an iPad 2 or 3 due to my investments in apps.

23. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I think it's pretty obvious this is something Apple executives considered before releasing the iPad. Apple clearly designed the iPad in such a way that it is not a replacement for a real computer, and in fact requires a desktop machine to function. So, while from a consumer dollars standpoint you may be right that the decision to purchase an iPad may delay a person's purchase of a new desktop machine, it doesn't apply from a functionality standpoint. Beyond that, Apple's share of the computer market is still less than 10%. Nowhere to go really, but up. I'd be willing to bet they expect to, if anything, attract new Mac users through the iPad in numbers that will more than offset dollars lost on iPad cannabilization.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple sold about 7.6 million iPads in the last quarter. We may assume for arguments sake that half of those would have bought some computer; that is 3.8 million computer sales lost. Apple has a market share of say five percent, so Apple may have lost about 200,000 Mac sales in the last quarter.

Sounds about right. 7.6 million iPads minus 200,000 Macs, that's say about 4.5 billion dollar additional revenue. Yes, I'd call that "shooting itself in the foot".

25. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

They are taking much more of the market away from netbooks than they are from their own computer lines. A huge number of people buying iPads are people that would have never purchased an Apple computer.