Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Apple could be in trouble? I mean, they just didn't do enough to the iPhone 3G to make it leap ahead of the competition for ANOTHER year. Blackberry has the Bold and Thunder (touchscreen) coming out in a few months time and they can do everything that the new iPhone can! This has me worried. And yes, I am a current BB owner but that's only until the iPhone comes to VZW.

Anyone else agree with me?

srvnvly

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Apple could be in trouble? I mean, they just didn't do enough to the iPhone 3G to make it leap ahead of the competition for ANOTHER year. Blackberry has the Bold and Thunder (touchscreen) coming out in a few months time and they can do everything that the new iPhone can! This has me worried. And yes, I am a current BB owner but that's only until the iPhone comes to VZW.

Do you have info that the iPhone WILL come to VZW? I am a Verizon customer and would get an iPhone in a heartbeat if they truly accepted "any device, any application." Let me know; thanks!

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
Exactly, once this app store drops all these threads will become ghosts. Apple doesn't have a thing to worry about. All these stupid threads about camera and other things. This thing is the platform for an amazing experience once this app store drops.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
All Apple has to be worried about is people not wanting to pay $30 for unlimited data to AT&T. It's just dishonest of Steve to come out and say "half the price!" but actually it's costing you more in the long run.

The App store is the iPhone's saving grace. It will put other similar phones to shame.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
They may not have done everything that every individual had hoped, but Apple (and it's investors) certainly don't need to be scared. This second generation will sell far far better than it's predecessor, if not in the US, certainly outside of it.

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
When all of the news first started coming in yesterday, I was a little worried too. But the fact is that the 'killer app', is the App Store itself. In 6 months, there will be hundreds of innovative applications to choose from, and with a foolproof browse and click shopping experience, I think Apple will do just fine...

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
the app store will be the biggest thing that will hit the iPhone, infact any phone as no other phones are able to do it. blackberrys (at the moment) are awful, i really dont like them. my dad has got one, and i hate it. it makes simple tasks overcomplicated, even taking a picture an emailing it is a pain and it just doesnt feel at all nice to hold. the keys are also a pain to use once you are used to the touchscreen.

and you say that the bb will be able to do the same as the iphone, well in what way. big deal, touchscreen, and it will probably have a better camera as its impossible to make one worse than whats on the iPhone, but everything else the iphone just blows it away. the simplicity, the ease of use and the way that everything looks is just top notch. once the app store is released, and hopfully not too many apps will cost much, the iphone is a sure winner

(love the ad-hoc mode, even though other devices are able to do it...)

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Is the OP joking? Everyone expect people who want a 5 MP camera will be happy.

BothBarsOn

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
The physical phone itself is a transitory thing. There will always be a better one coming along "soon".

The platform is what's important and that is where Apple will smoke everybody else.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Do you have info that the iPhone WILL come to VZW? I am a Verizon customer and would get an iPhone in a heartbeat if they truly accepted "any device, any application." Let me know; thanks!

Never happen, 2 different technologies, GSM vs CDMA. Although Verizon is so much more stable and faster than AT&T's network

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
Yea, i agree with all of you about the App Store. I am going to love that with my touch! And I dont know why so many people think the camera on the iPhone sucks. I think it is pretty decent from what I have seen, then again, I dont own one so you guys know better.

As for VZW getting the phone, my friend (this is gonna sound like a stupid lie haha) who works with me at my internship works at the 5th Ave Apple store and says that "he heard" that the iPhone will be on VZW in a year. I guess it makes sense because Apple could always just buy out of the AT&T contract...especially after AT&T pulled that crap yesterday with the whole "we can sell it for whatever price we want" thing.

But dont count out Blackberry. They have come a long way and I think their touchscreen will do great things because they know they cant screw it up.
Heres a pic:http://crackberry.com/blackberry-thunder-pics-start-show

Anyways, just remeber, I am an iPhone lover (or hope to be one day) and I am just playing devils advocate haha.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Verizon...CDMA.. not going to happen

While everyone seems to want Verizon, I still don't understand why. Why would you want a phone that only works in the U.S.?

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
The physical phone itself is a transitory thing. There will always be a better one coming along "soon".

The platform is what's important and that is where Apple will smoke everybody else.

Don't forget Android will be out this year. From what I've seen that is every bit as good as the iPhone OS. I know they don't have something as integrated as iTunes/appstore to deliver apps, but it will have a BIG developer community, possibly bigger that the iPhone developer community.

Time will only tell, but lets be objective about things.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
And lets not forget that Apple is now doing Enterprise so Blackberry is going to be on the defensive. They are loading up the chamber with some pretty big caliber bullets. (Like that analogy?) I just thnk that Apple should have put some things in the iPhone 3G that they didnt. You all know what they are...

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Verizon...CDMA.. not going to happen

While everyone seems to want Verizon, I still don't understand why. Why would you want a phone that only works in the U.S.?

Too answer your question, Here's the way I see it?,

The BB8830 World Edition is CDMA and GSM , if your going out of the country you notify them and your given a SIM card and your on your way . I do NOT know all the details but I am sure that if you looked it up on the verizons site you'd find more detailed information.

So with that being said, in reality, you could re-design the iPhone to be both CDMA & GSM. If Blackberry can do it , you know Stevey can do it.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
All Apple has to be worried about is people not wanting to pay $30 for unlimited data to AT&T. It's just dishonest of Steve to come out and say "half the price!" but actually it's costing you more in the long run.

The App store is the iPhone's saving grace. It will put other similar phones to shame.

I agree completely. I've always known that Apple was the type of company that only told half-truths when they made a change for the worse in one way or another, but this seems so much worse. Sure he's right when he says the iPhone is half the cost... but he conveniently left out the part of what the service plan will be like, and they've totally removed it from the Apple site, along with the ability to order at all. Steve knows he's sold his soul to the Devil and he's trying to let AT&T's press release take all of the blame. Maybe that's why he's looking so gaunt and frail? His soul is slowly being eaten away by AT&T.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
And yes, I am a current BB owner but that's only until the iPhone comes to VZW.

Enjoy your wait :).

But as far as features, my iPhone one did everything I wanted it to, except GPS, and speedy downloads. iPhone 3g will do both of these, it will be the perfect mobile phone for me

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2007
USA
I don't think the wait will be that long. I'm saying one more year. But until then I have my iPod touch to hold me over!

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI

Well, many, many people rarely, if ever, travel out of the U.S. Therefore, a phone that only works in the U.S. is just fine for them. There are 80 million Verizon subscribers, or there will be in November when the Alltel customers get merged in. That's a large group to get the iPhone to. And since I just renewed my Alltel contract in March, I would really like to be able to get an iPhone.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Apple has nothing to fear. RIM is the company that should be afraid. The iPhone is a mobile computing platform that happens to have a phone in it. The company that designed it has 30 years experience designing computers and operating systems, and over a decade's experience in designing mobile devices (remember the Newton), and five years' experience selling massive amounts of digital content over the internet. It has its own multimedia platform as well. RIM doesn't have most of that.

As mobile devices become more like computing platforms and less like Walkmans, it follows that mainstream computer companies are in a better position to design and make the things.

The funny thing is that the approach of one company making the software platform and another making the hardware doesn't seem to work very well for devices like these. Microsoft's mobile platform sucks (I know. I own one). Perhaps Google will change that. However, there is one computer company left that makes the whole widget, and that is Apple.

People enjoy making lists of what the iPhone lacks. It would be more interesting to make lists of what its competitors lack. An efficient and simple software distribution system is at the top of the list. None of them have anything that approaches iTunes. A secure UNIX OS proven on the desktop is another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.