Apple should dump the ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedisaga, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Clicked the link. Read the title and subtitle. Heard this in my head:

"I'm a tech pundit. I think I know better than Apple how to make even more than 6 quadrillion dollars a week. Here's how..."

Stopped reading.

3. Lanarae macrumors member

No, I'm planning on buying one when the new ones come out.

4. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Actually, I didn't take it that way. It was a very interesting read and he did make some valid points, especially about Apple's stance on the ipod touch. I do believe they should reimagine the device and make it a more desirable device for their product line.

Jedisaga

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Apple will do what they feel is best for their company. I don't think what cnet has to say influences them.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

apple already as to few products, we don't want the ipod touch to go the way of the macbook do we?

----------

every single kid at my school seems to have one, it must be desirable enough.

7. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

That is true, however, it doesn't hurt someone suggesting ways to make a product better. In fact, there are SEVERAL suggestions on ways Apple could improve the next version of the ipod touch on this site alone. Everyone is entitled to opinions, ideas and suggestions.

Jedisaga

8. Techwriter macrumors regular

Thank you for posting the link. It was interesting reading.

I also scrolled to the bottom to read comments and found that most were dissenters, arguing that there is a place for the iPod Touch.

I agree. I use my iPod Touch every day. It is my main go-to-device to check email, quick web search, weather and other apps, etc. I put it in my pocket and walk around the house listening to music and audiobooks.

If Apple creates a 5 or 7 inch device, this wouldn't replace the small footprint of my iPod Touch.

Furthermore, I can't see the neighborhood kids walking up the street to the bus stop, listening through their earbuds with a 7 inch device.

As has been stated many times, an iPod Touch user at 12, may be an iPhone user at 20, along with an iPad, and Macbook purchaser also. It gets customers addicted early in life and comfortable using the entire Apple ecosystem of apps and products.

As far as I can see, even if it doesn't bring in the sales like the iPad does, the iPod Touch is still a win-win for Apple. And I will be ready to purchase a new one in September should it arrive!

9. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Personally, I'm ok with the size of the ipod touch. Maybe a bigger screen would be nice. Also, since they appeared to want to market it as a "gaming" device, they could offer accessories such as the ones offered by icade, etc.

Oh and I do believe the ipod is a winner for Apple. I'm looking forward to the next iteration.

10. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

who is this muppet?
    the ipod touch will, I agree get bigger when the bigger iphone appears, but it will not go.

The reason: Gaming.

They plugged the ipod touch as a gaming machine and it has worked, stripping sales from nintendo and sony on the mobile gaming market, and that is where it is at the moment.

Having an ipad mini for gaming will not suit most casual gamers. it will be too big to just sling in your pocket.

90% of my games are on my touch, with retina display and A4.
    the little games (backgammon, mahjongg), sit on my iphone 3gs for those moments when I want a quick blast of a game, and when the children are playing games on my touch.

Thats my tuppence.

11. Siq® macrumors member

Siq®

Is it possible that no one told them that it's WAY more expensive ?

- After reading the whole text I think he is not telling Apple what to do next. He's stating what is likely to happen next, provided that those figures he mentioned are true. I AM looking forward to buying the new iTouch if it comes out and I think that MANY people still want to buy it. Nevertheless, you can't deny that the iPod family is a really small share of Apple's sales, which could lead Apple to drop it.

12. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I agree. As some in this forum do, he's predicting Apple's next move on future ipod touch updates and is giving his opinion on the future of its product. Personally, I like having the best of both worlds (ipod touch and Droid Bionic) since I use both devices for separate things. Ipod touch is my primary music source and a few applications and the phone for more powerful apps (only because it has a dual core processor).

I hope Apple decides to give the ipod touch a significant update come September. However, since sales haven't been as high as the iphone or ipad, it may only give minor to moderate changes... Kinda like last years model.

13. WLS macrumors 65816

I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the link. I'm in favor of more pundits poking Apple about the Touch. Maybe they will decide to do something.
    I'm especially in favor of a 5 inch device.
    I think it's the only real option as the Ipad2 at a lower price point makes a 7 inch tablet even less probable. To hit a even lower price point they are going to have to have a much smaller screen and 5 inches still fits in a pocket .

14. Bear macrumors G3

The iPod Touch sells more than enough units that getting rid of it would be worse than stupid. It would be incompetent product management.

Besides the iPod Touch sales numbers, this is why dropping the iPod Touch would be worse than stupid.

The iPod Touch will probably match the iPhone screen size with at worst a 1 release lag of the Touch getting it. Make the iPhone and iPod Touch too big and people might not want to carry it. I'm not sure what the upper size limit is that will cause people to not want to carry it. I do know the current iPod Touch fits nicely in the pockets I tend to use.

As for a 7" iPad, this makes sense as it is actually a usable size. And will compete against Android 7" tablets. the price on the iPad2 won't be an issue and for all we know could disappear with the release of a 7" iPad.

15. BGrifter macrumors newbie

Totally disagree. If Canadian/American cellular providers weren't so staggeringly terrible maybe. There is still a sizeable market of people who want an iPhone but are unwilling to get into bed with North American telecoms. Apple can't force Telus and Rogers improve their service/pricing.

If they simply wanted to rebrand it the "iPhone wifi" or something I wouldn't mind, but a 7" iPad strikes me as a lousy replacement that wouldn't do what I like my iPod Touch for. If I'm on the go I want something iPhone-sized that I can slip in my coat pocket. If I'm at home I'd always rather have the 10" iPad display.

16. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

17. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I doubt they will. It wouldn't make any sense if they did... They would just lose money. I still think the iPod Touch is a great device and you can do pretty much anything on it. It's basically a pocketable computer. Not everyone can afford a monthly contract (and to be locked in for 3 years) so the iPod Touch is a great device to pick up to get into the whole iOS world. I made my first Apple purchase 3 years ago, and that was the iPod Touch. I fell in love with it, and I now own multiple Apple devices. Don't expect the iPod Touch to be going anywhere, at least not anytime soon.

18. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I don't believe Apple will discontinue the iPod touch. It's a very useful device and I'm looking forward to the release of the 5th gen.

19. gusping macrumors 6502

macbook? just the plain old macbook? who would buy that when you can buy a macbook pro or air? duhhh!

20. Benson11 macrumors regular

Benson11

21. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

someone else said this on another thread and its true that the ipod touch serves as a gateway device for preteens and even teenagers. These 2 demographics are the ones that, when it comes time to choose a mobile phone 2-4 years in the future, are they gonna get an android and have to purchase all their fav apps again, or are they simply gonna upgrade to the full iPhone.

Tim Cook made a point of saying that ". . . the iPod Touch, iPad, and iPhone are all part of the post PC era"

22. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

I don't think they should get rid of it, but they should definitely do something to it that would make even people who have both an iPad and an iPhone want one.

Maybe make it the 7" screen device for $200? Kindle Fire competitor? :confused:

23. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Rule #1: Apple will do what Apple thinks best for itself, period, no if's, and's or butts.......

Rule #2: Do what you have to do to stay on top

Rule #3: Obey ALL rules, especially rule #1 & #2 :)

However, I agree that dropping a highly sucsessfull product would be a bad idea. But a slightly larger Retina screen and faster processor would be a great way to upgrade the touch, to keep it in line as a gateway product. Which in turn will force sony & nintendo to continue to innovate & hopefully make their products better & better just to stay alive......

That way Apple wins by continuing their revenue stream, and consumers in general win because of the continued competition that breeds more & more successfull products !

24. Techwriter macrumors regular

I hope a new and improved iPod Touch surfaces this September. While iPod Touch sales have dwindled and Apple's focus has turned to the iPhone and iPad, how much does it cost Apple to make an iPod Touch? I'll bet the cost is relatively low with a fairly large profit margin, especially in the 32GB and 64GB models. Plus, an iPod Touch owner purchases a lot of content and is much more likely to buy an iPad than an Amazon Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet.