Apple should move to OLED at this point.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Timzer, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

Timzer macrumors 6502

But they probably won't. Apple already relies very heavily on Samsung for parts as it is. If they ever decided to go with a truly high end display, they would have no choice but to go in even deeper with Samsung. Now that Samsung has officially killed off their LCD TV division, and will be going balls deep in OLED and releasing their first consumer 55inch OLED TV this year, it will mark the start of the end of Plasma and LCD. It may take at least 5 years before the market catches up for TVs, but small mobile devices can take advantage of this most superior dominating display technology right now; just as the Galaxy line of phones are doing now with their Super Amoled HD as well as the upcoming Galaxy S3 which will be sporting a Super Amoled HD Plus display. Samsung is already believed to be releasing a true bezel free phone this year as well, and that's all thanks to flexible OLED technology. So if Apple wants a design on the next iPhone to have a true WOW factor, then they need to go OLED.
    Of course Samsung being true innovators and creating such amazing technology makes it easier for them to put it in their own phones, but Apple has a lot of cash to pay for it.

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I bet Samsung spends a lot more than Apple in R&D in this field.
    And that will make the difference in the near future.

3. steve.caplin77 macrumors newbie

I love apple. Apple is always try to get some advance and unique technology and i know very soon they can beat samsung also..

4. pmau macrumors 65816

I really dislike OLED colors. Honestly. Might be a generational thing.
    I really do prefer a godd IPS based panel.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Same here. OLED is very overrated right now.

Maybe in the future they will look better.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; Radar 4G))

I know it will never happen, but I wish the next iPhone would get a Super AMOLED screen. The colour contrast and accuracy is so nice on those screens.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The colours on even the top end panels I have seen are just wrong....Of course they will improve...Remember when 1024x768 was considered a luxury CRT monitor?

I've looked around at quite a few, and the one plus point is that they seem to be a little easier on the eyesight...But that might just be my age...:)

8. thegreati macrumors regular

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Accuracy? Not so much, IPS beats it that aspect. The screen on my SII definitely is more saturated in color than my 4S. Sure it looks "fancy" and "eye-popping", but it is a tad over-saturated.

Side by side, the 4S will look "washed out", because the SII is more saturated for color. Contrast wise, the SII definitely has the 4S beat, since that's what the OLED tech is all about really, there's no backlight.

10. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I agree that OLED colors are perceived as inaccurate on some devices, but the technology is incredible. And I'm sure the color balance can be tuned by Apple if they choose to use them.

Also, everyone has their personal preference on color temperatures. I have too often seen people set their televisions to the "brilliant" color settings that make colors way oversaturated...but that's their preference.

11. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

At this point I think it's fair to ask; Is there a problem with the current iPhone screen that requires a switch to any other to fix? :confused:

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; Radar 4G))

Since you mention it, I think you're right. When comparing them side by side I can see exactly what you mean (lucky for me I have a GSII and an iPhone 4S available to look at right this second). I had only seen them individually before, never side by side.

14. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

No problem with the current iPhone screens per se, but there will always be new technologies.

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yup. IPS is probably the most "natural" of the screen techs, because it tries to really recreate the color that the picture is supposed to be. Doesn't mean its better, but the two techs are just different styles.

I really do like the OLED technology, but until the colors get better, I'll still prefer IPS...

16. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Oh, and OLED's would technically allow a thinner phone since they don't require a backlight.

17. pmau macrumors 65816

I just wanted to add my opinion about AMOLED and that Apple should not switch to it.

Samsung does not play a role in that.

I think the pentile pixel layout it inferior and you should probably consider that a retina display in OLED would be so fragile that it is probably not practical for everyday use.

I own both an iPhone4 and a (dated) HTC. I do not like the colors of OLED at all. I agree that a HTC Legend is a bad comparison.

But I REALLY like my retina iPhone4 display, which has not a yellow but kind of bluish tint.

Anyways, I think that a OLED retina would be a disappointment considering how many pixels might produce errors after one year.

(They don't fail, but the colors look more and more awful)

If you don't believe that, hold your beloved OLED phone next to your (hopefully good) LCD screen. If you only look at the phone it might look OK, but if you have another reference to compare it with, it really does look strange.

18. derickdub macrumors 6502

Amen.

And with cameras getting better on phones, color reproduction is pretty important now.

19. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

'because it's future tech' doesn't mean it's better tech though - inaccurate colours are not the way forward. Apple have a history of enhancing proven tech rather than adopting futuristic for futuristic's sake.

Maybe a 3D upgrade of an IPS panel would be the next step?

20. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I'd take slightly innacurate colors w/ true blacks over 3D on a phone any day. Not that Apple would ever do a 3D screen anyways.

21. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Dream on sir! Good night.

22. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

Apple have already applied for a 3D mobile display technology patent - so who knows?

..and I'd like the world's most accurate display rather than palette inaccuracy, over-saturation and hyper-contrast that causes eye fatigue ..but that's just me.

23. SurferMan, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

I used screen adjuster with some recommended settings from online, took care of the saturation on my gs2. Looks so insanely good now. Our 4S screen is nice as well, but it still doesn't "pop", actually our 4 seems a bit nicer as far as the screen as it isn't as washed out/toned down looking.... weird. It's still nice, just surprised to see that difference between the 4 and 4S.

Funny someone mentioned the Samsung Oled tv, I'm patiently waiting to see it and the other OLEDS. LG should have one released in 3rd quarter this year, but Samsung will either be 3rd or 4th quarter. I can just imagine how nice the set's will be after their calibrated correctly, def picking one up.

Far as Apple adopting the tech, not sure, rumors have been pointing out that they want to bring it to the iphone/itouch/pods etc.... guess we'll see what happens.

24. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No thanks.

I'd prefer to not have to worry about burn-in showing up - let alone within a year of buying the phone... as practically every OLED device has shown.

25. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Absolutely laughable how so many of you are trying to use the "color accuracy" or the "over saturation" argument as if the colors and saturation are so way off. What a joke. The super amoled plus display is considered by the over whelming majority in the tech world to be THE STANDARD.
    These settings can be adjusted with apps to what you like. The TVs will have settings to adjust and the ability to be calibrated. The Galaxy S2 even has settings for saturation.
    That being said, please explain to me how the utmost accuracy in colors is necessary on your tiny little 3.5 inch screen. What is it that you're doing on that tiny little screen that requires the most accurate colors. What an absolute joke of an argument.
    Sorry to break it to you loyalists, but OLED is the future, and for the rest of the tech loving world, the future is now.