Apple should never let Best Buy sell their products

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazyyankeefan, Aug 13, 2008.

1. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

I personally really hate Best Buy. Their associates are just terrible, not even mention the Geek Squad. They're just as careless and clueless as it gets. Besides, Best Buy is not exactly cheaper anyway. In fact, they are more expensive then most other electronics stores.
    Now I saw this news that Best Buy will be selling iPhone 3G. OMG...this is ridiculous. I would never want to get my Apple products at Best Buy. Do you guys really want to see your precious new iPhone being careless handled by some dumb associates who would probably tell you to call Apple if you have any concern?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I think its a good thing, it will bring the iPhone to more areas where an Apple store or a AT&T corporate store are not. Kind of like where I am living at the moment. ;)

3. CharQuake macrumors member

OMG! I love best buy! They have the worst video game selection anywhere but the most tv's it's a trade off

4. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...I'm not sure if you're like perfectionist or not, but I am. So I actually refused to let them open my iPhone 3G box in store (I bought it in an Apple store). I was able to activate my phone at home myself. Just to let you know you can do so if you don't want some Best Buy idiot to manly handle your phone.

5. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

Most TVs? More like "most expensive TVs"...

If you spend time and do some research, you'll find tones of places with better prices than "Worst Buy".

6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I am quite the perfectionist. But the fact that this can bring an iPhone to someone in my town who wouldn't travel to the nearest Apple store (2 hours away) means I could care less. And the general public wouldn't care either, if they want an iPhone they are more likely going to buy it where it is most convenient and if Best Buy is what is closest then thats probably where they are going to go.

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

They have their uses... Just got a two month old Sharp 32" display tv from them for $450. Retails for about $1000 or so. I'd call that a deal, haha.

Also the sticker price on their TVs isn't a dead set price. I would certainly encourage some negotiation.

8. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

I see. Well, I just let you know that if you want to open the box at home on your own, you can do that. Don't let the half-brain Best Buy associates fool you.

9. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

I got my brand new Sharp 46" LCD from Sears. Lowest price of all plus half 3.5% tax only (I live in NJ with 7% sale tax).

10. Knolly macrumors 6502a

@OP:
    I am by no means saying Best Buy has some great deals, all I'm saying is you can get some great ones on display models because they have so many of them.

11. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

typical yankee

my best buy is just fine, in face every best buy ive ever been in they have been way helpful and dont push sales like other stores

12. richg916 macrumors regular

Biggest mistake ever. Their customer service is about the worst in town (Sacramento). Why not just buy it from Apple or ATT? Good luck to anyone that buys an iPhone there. I guess you could just head to Apple if something goes wrong.

13. customerservice macrumors newbie

Is the op serious? What has best buy done to make you such a douche? I sell computers including apple products at best buy. I'm a pretty decent resource for most of the folks that come there. Considering I don't give a rats ass about that job. You clearly went to best buy with the wrong expectations. The highly educated customer like yourself clearly need the FAR more educated kids at the apple store with your questions. Good luck in life, I sure hope I never see you in my best buy but then again I'll be out of college soon and can get a real job

14. theevilone macrumors member

Crazyyankeefan: you are right Best Buy is the Worst ever. Prices too high and the people working there are idiots. I tell them to stay away from me do talk to me. What are they going to charge $1000 for a 8gb.

I will wait until they start selling them in WalMart, at least they will tell you that they do not know jack or care about apple and iphone.

I always blow up at the best buy people when they want to charge me $30 for a geek squad person to mess up my new computer.

Then try to sell me insurance for $400, I say what you know that you are selling junk that will break down?

15. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

What made you think I trust those kids in Apple store? Some of them don't know a thing. When you ask them questions, they give you answers like they never actually address your need. I definitely know more than some of those kids in Apple stores, and not to even mention the associates in Best Buy.

16. customerservice macrumors newbie

the thing is, most PEOPLE dont know a damn thing. however, there are hundreds of thousands of best buy employees, its not fair to call them all stupid just because you had a bad experience which was most likely caused by your own bad attitude and poor communication skills. you might get pissed off because they offer to put antivirus and **** on your computer, but believe me, 90% of the american public is barely capable of doing the most simple **** on a computer. they NEED those services to function. you and i might not, but they arent aimed at the average user of macrumors.

i dont see how apple or the people at the att stores are any more capable of activating an iphone.

lol you blow up at them? that must make you feel like a big man.

17. theevilone macrumors member

How much in commissions do you make selling things to people that they do not need, by giving them a line of BS.

I told the guy I would put my own anti-virus on it instead of paying the $30.
    He tells me that if I was going to put anti-virus on it I would have to buy a more expensive computer than the one I wanted because it took 2gb more of memory.

18. customerservice macrumors newbie

no commission on services. i could care less what anybody buys. the $30 is for "optimization", basically removing all the **** the manufacturer puts on (ads and whatnot). like i said, lots of people DO need that because they cant do it themselves.

that doesnt even make sense. if that truly was his reason that is pretty poor. and like i said, some best buy employees are idiots, but not all of them.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Stores like Best Buy run the gambit of quality. Some are good and others seem very lacking.

This gets the phones out in places where there are no ATT or Apple stores nearby, so that is good.

In Japan, the Apple stores have plenty of demo iPhones, but you must go to a SoftBank store to get an iPhone. At least in the states you have an option. :)

20. theevilone macrumors member

Your right most people do not know anything about computers that's why you need a competent sales person.

once I was rescued by a store manager he saw the sales person arguing with me. he came over and told the person to leave and took me over to the place where I could find what I wanted and left.

21. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

OP: you do realize most Best Buys have a small Apple Store INSIDE the Best Buy already, right? The only Apple product it was missing was the iPhone. If it gives the customers more options of where to buy, why not? They can't possibly be any worse than the employees at AT&T or Apple. In fact, I'd probably put the Best Buy at or near the top locally for retail associate customer service and product knowledge. The quality of employees generally goes hand in hand with local competition. An area with a lot of good electronics or computer stores will generally have better retail staff (due to the competition). That's been my experience anyway.

22. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Evidently someone has some issues with Best Buy. Personally I've never had any problems with them. I've bought most of my computers from them. Now I probably will not buy my 3G from them, simply because I have two Apple stores close by but I think this would be great for folks who don't have easy access to an Apple store.

23. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It won't be all that bad. The Apple rep and my local Best Buy is helpful and knowledgeable. This move will also take a load off the Apple stores.

24. motownflip macrumors regular

Pretty ignorant thread. There's good and bad employees anywhere. I don't think your stereotype is appropriate here. Typically when we complain about others, we have something we can work on ourselves.

25. TonyMil macrumors member

I think it's great.

This provides more retail locations to buy the phone and helps Apple/AT&T avoid the "monoply" conspiracy.

For a dedicated geek Best Buy may not be the best retail option but for the majority of shoppers Best Buy is a perfect solution.

It still boggles my mind that Best Buy sells Ubuntu though.