Apple shouldn't have changed iOS the way it did - Any one agree?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pmontanarella, Aug 11, 2013.

1. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Lately I've been thinking that, while iOS 7 will bring a huge UI overhaul, underneath the new skin the OS works in exactly the same way. I think Apple should've made the UI change a bit less radical and should've added new productivity features instead.

Anyone else agree?

Pietro

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

nope, I don't agree.

I like what I see from iOS7, while I'm not on the beta, I am eagerly waiting for the GM to be released for my iPhone 5.

3. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Sorry, neither do I agree. I quite like iOS 7 and is exactly what I hopped Apple would do to it. Is it perfect? No. Will it improve? Sure thing.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do we really need another thread on this?

Op io7 will be this way wether you like it or not.

5. farmkittie macrumors 6502

They did make significant productivity improvements

I think they made productivity improvements that matter to me. Have you watched the WWDC keynote?

I'm beginning to think that Apple would have to come out with a flying car or some such to get certain people's attention. Or maybe a time machine that not only backed up your files but also took you back in time to relive the moment you created/changed it.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm testing iOS 7 on my iPhone, but not my iPad. Without Control Center and the full-screen Safari w/ gestures on the iPad, iOS 6 feels far less productive to me than iOS 7 does.

7. dcp10 macrumors 6502

No I like the changes. I think that an OS needs familiarity, consider the lesson from Windows 8 removing the start button

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

A new version of iOS is coming out every year, what ever doesn't work in iOS 7, Apple will improve in a year. Just keep sending them feedback, bug reports, and so on.

Just look how much changed from beta 1 to beta 5, they are certainly listening.

They have to start somewhere, so iOS 7 is the biggest overhaul that will shape the next 4-5 years of iOS until they make another major UI change that can't be done on today's hardware.

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

It could have been anything though.

The potential for a complete redesign could have went in so many different unimaginable directions.

They could have came up with thousands of concepts, hundreds of mock ups and various paradigm shifts.

It could have been anything, and it was this.

Thats what people are underwhelmed about. Not what iOS 7 is, but so much that it isnt and could have potentially been in theory.

Like there was an opportunity for a delightful re-inventive masterstroke like they did with the original iOS release but instead there was more of the same.

10. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I don't agree. I like iOS 7 a lot. Sure, there are a few things I dislike (the dock, some of the stock icons, the My Little Pony color palette). But I love the functionality, and for the most part the "frosted glass" look really works. It makes the OS take on the colors of whatever wallpaper I choose.

I know that way back in June I thought iOS 6 was the greatest thing, but when I use it now, it feels like going back to Windows 95.

11. kodeman53, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

kodeman53 macrumors 65816

No, I don't agree. I like the way iOS7 looks and whether you like it or not, it's what will be.

Plus, MacRumors members are hardly typical of iPhone owners. The vast majority of people will upgrade without giving it a second thought.

----------

Of course we do.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here. iOS 6 looks and feels very old to me now.

The gestures (especially in Safari) feels way more productive to me. Having to pin-point the "Back" buttons in iOS 6 feels old-school, and definitely takes longer for me.

I also think the Task Switcher, and how the new Notification Center is divided up into three tabs (Today, All, Missed) add productivity too.

With Task Switcher, being able to see a screenshot of each app (for whatever reason) makes it quicker for me to find what I'm looking for, vs. just only seeing the app icons. I also like how you can swipe up with three apps at a time to remove apps from Task Switcher. If you're in an app and bring up Task Switcher, you can now kill that app. In iOS 6, if you did that, it never showed the current app. You had to exit out to the Home Screen and restart Task Switcher from there.

I really really really love the Today tab in Notification Center. Having a few of my day's calendar from the current time forward that I can swipe into from anywhere on the iPhone (i.e. I don't have to return to the Home Screen and then launch the Calendar app, return to the Home Screen and relaunch the app I was in) definitely adds productivity to me.

I also like how Notification Center shows more text in the notifications. It's usually enough now that I don't have to go into the app to figure out what the notification said, like I do on iOS 6.

Background App refreshing is pretty cool, too. A lot of my apps are now supporting it, and it seems like when I pop into them, they refresh a lot quicker than when on iOS 6.

To me, there's a huge amount about iOS 7 in terms of productivity enhancements that a lot of people don't seem aware of. They just focus on the UI change. To me, a fair amount of the UI change seems required to bring a lot of these productivity enhancements to life.

13. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

No. Been testing the iOS 7 betas and never going back to iOS 6.

14. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Nope. It may have a few too many glitches which need to be ironed out, and I'd expect that still to be the case when we're waiting for iOS8, but there is actually quite a lot new under the hood too, just need to give developers chance to make use of it.

The UI is the biggest, current, marketable feature. But I'd expect that to change once developers can start talking about it and their new more openly.

15. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Yeah, I'm often finding myself trying to back-swipe in apps that don't support it yet.

16. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

What new productivity features, precisely, would you like to see added?

17. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I don't completely agree, but I agree to some extent.
    iOS is still iOS no matter what you throw at it.

"iOS 7 is like getting a new phone, but one you already know how to use."

18. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I wish these "iOS 7 is crap, Apple made a mistake with iOS7" type of threads will stop.

19. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Got to laugh at another one of these. If you go way back "everyone" wanted the UI to change radically as much as they wanted other functions. Now a bunch of people want the old UI.

As has been said many times - you get what you get - Apple has its own method of deciding what needs to change and what doesn't.
    If you think what you had in terms of fuction only 3 years ago it is amazing what we have and what we will have.

20. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

I agree that it is essentially a new coat of paint in the same room. Mostly the same functionality with some little extras.

Some things I like, some I don't... You can't please everybody 100% of the time, otherwise the world would be a boring place.

For my personal taste, I find it a bit too white, but in the end, who cares? I can still do the same things I need to do and my apps still work.

It basically satisfies the ones that wanted a refresh and keeps the others somewhat OK with it. If not, they'll live and if they can't, they need to rethink their priorities...

21. centavar, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

centavar macrumors member

I don't agree, iOS 7 seems like a good step forward. It's not without it's flaws of course, but I'm yet to see a perfect OS that doesn't need improvement.

Also I'm glad they didn't change the overall structure and stayed away from the Android mess.

The only thing I dislike is the new "recents" menu. It copies Android and Web OS( the worst thing to copy), and it's confusing to look at. The old way was better, I mean who really looks at the screenshots of the apps, I just want to see as many icons as possible and not have to scroll endlessly through pretty but useless screenshots.

22. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

iOS needed a facelift. This is just the beginning of Jony's changes and it will only get better. I'm finding iOS 7 be a hell of a lot better than any previous iOS offering.

23. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

If all you see with iOS7 is surface changes, then you're just looking for a fight here. My productivity has increased with iOS7. And this is the beginning of a new direction for iOS.

24. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I really don't think Apple could have reinvented the mobile OS in 7-8 months (we have no indication Forstall was working on that before he left). Heck Microsoft spent over 3 years on Windows 8. Start with a redesign (or new coat of paint as some call it) and go from there. I doubt Apple's software engineers and UI designers are sitting at work twiddling their thumbs looking for something to do.:)

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

The #1 vote getter in the iOS 7 hopes and wishes thread poll was a new UI. Of course people could have wanted a redesign, but not this redesign. Still I think it's a case of those who dislike something will be more vocal than those who like something. I'm sure we'll see the same thing when the new iPhones come out.