Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple hopes to circumvent Samsung in the supply of components for a "folded" telephoto lens for 2023 iPhones, according to unnamed sources cited by Korean website The Elec.

iphone12protriplelenscamera.jpg

The report claims Apple has approached Jahwa Electronics, which is part of Samsung's supply chain, to supply an optical image stabilization module for the camera. Jahwa co-developed the technology with Samsung, which could cause Apple patent problems down the line. However, Apple likely has its own workaround for the patents or will end up paying a licensing fee to Samsung, according to the report.

The Elec links these latest developments to iPhone models for release in 2023, but the outlet has previously claimed that Apple may use components made by Samsung for a "folded" telephoto lens on at least some iPhone models in 2022.

Samsung's Electro-Mechanics subsidiary will reportedly supply components such as actuators and lenses to LG, which in turn will use the components to manufacture the folded camera module to supply to Apple. This move would supposedly prevent Apple from hurting its relationship with LG, and address issues related to patents.

The possibility of a folded or "periscope" lens on 2022 iPhones was first mentioned by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in March last year, and there have been several rumors since. The technology would allow for significantly increased optical zoom on iPhones, well beyond the current 2x and 2.5x limits on the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, respectively. Huawei's P40 Pro+ smartphone, for example, features a periscope lens with up to 10x optical zoom.

With folded camera optics, light absorbed by the image sensor is bent or "folded," allowing for increased optical zoom and improved image quality while maintaining a compact lens design appropriate for smartphones. For a more detailed explanation of what a periscope lens is and when Apple will adopt one in its iPhones, check out our dedicated guide.

Article Link: Apple Shuffles Suppliers for Periscope Telephoto Lens in 2023 iPhones

• Love
Reactions: SurferPup

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I really can't see any point in a lens being more than 4x optical zoom on a phone or at least a maximum of 200mm equivalent. I'd rather they spent R&D on a larger sensor system.
That’s an absurd statement. Who wouldn’t want a longer optical zoom? There will always be uses for it. At this point phones are so mature that’s all that would make me want to upgrade. I’m mad it’s taken them this long to play catch-up to the other companies that have been doing it for years

steve09090

macrumors 68030
Aug 12, 2008
That’s an absurd statement. Who wouldn’t want a longer optical zoom? There will always be uses for it. At this point phones are so mature that’s all that would make me want to upgrade. I’m mad it’s taken them this long to play catch-up to the other companies that have been doing it for years
Well as a professional photographer, I personally have no need for anything over 200mm. Unless you’re shooting sport, wildlife or the moon, what would YOU use a 1000mm lens for? Feel free to elaborate on what you’d shoot that isn’t absurd? Always have a use for it? haha!

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Well as a professional photographer, I personally have no need for anything over 200mm. Unless you’re shooting sport, wildlife or the moon, what would YOU use a 1000mm lens for? Feel free to elaborate on what you’d shoot that isn’t absurd? Always have a use for it? haha!
How about sports or wildlife? When I went to the zoo, I was constantly desirous to have a zoom lens so that I could get clearer pictures of the animals 50+ ft away.
How about a kid at a baseball or soccer game? Getting a picture of the determination in their face is quite impossible on a 200mm from 100+ft away.

To say that people wanting a high zoom lens on a smartphone is absurd is rather pretentious, closed-minded and not very professional sounding.

Last edited:

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Personally, I am holding out for an iPhone with interchangeable lenses. At that point, the device should be called iCamera -- a professional grade camera that also allows you to make telephone calls.

steve09090

macrumors 68030
Aug 12, 2008
How about sports or wildlife? When I went to the zoo, I was constantly desirous to have a zoom lens so that I could get clearer pictures of the animals 50+ ft away.
How about a kid at a baseball or soccer game? Getting a picture of the determination in their face is quite impossible on a 200mm from 100+ft away.

To say that people wanting a high zoom lens on a smartphone is absurd is rather pretentious, closed-minded and not very professional sounding.
I said that sports and wildlife are valid reasons. You obviously didn’t read beyond the first sentence. Good luck in using a mobile phone for moving scenes at 400mm+ and a 1cm sensor. Anyway. My opinion. You have yours and feel free to chase the impossible physics dream.

Reactions: ian87w

redbeard331

macrumors 68040
Jul 21, 2009
I don’t believe you, no “professional” photographer would make such an absurd statement.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Samsung’s 100x lens capture better images at practical zoom ranges?

So, the 100x is likely a gimmick and the quality isn’t something to write home about, but my understanding is that such lens would be capable of producing better pictures at practical zoom levels.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don’t believe you, no “professional” photographer would make such an absurd statement.

Other than the things he lists (sports, wildlife, astronomy) where *would* you need a 1000mm lens? If the guy‘s a landscape photographer he doesn’t need it. If he shoots portraits he doesn’t need it. If he’s a street photographer he doesn’t need it. Wedding photographer: not useful. In fact, 1000mm would be useless in those situations.

Reactions: steve09090

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Samsung’s 100x lens capture better images at practical zoom ranges?

So, the 100x is likely a gimmick and the quality isn’t something to write home about, but my understanding is that such lens would be capable of producing better pictures at practical zoom levels.
Of course 100x is a gimmick, anything beyond the real optical zoom range is digital zoom.

Reactions: Superdrive

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
2023? I quess that's the year when Periscope Camera tech can finally be considered mature.

Last edited:

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
I really can't see any point in a lens being more than 4x optical zoom on a phone or at least a maximum of 200mm equivalent. I'd rather they spent R&D on a larger sensor system.
Larger sensors? Now that's something new.
Also doesn't apple just buy sensors from Sony? And Sony has already been making big sensors for years.

BigKahunaBurguer

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2018
I can think of a thousand more interesting things to implement on the iphone for photos and videos than this “periscope” ... If that is someone's greatest need, well, I can’t understand it. (Or I don't want to…)

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain

Of course. The S21 Ultra can go from 3x optical up to 10x optical but 20x, 30x 50x are also quite usable. Of course nobody is limited to using 100x and never was.

redbeard331

macrumors 68040
Jul 21, 2009
Of course 100x is a gimmick, anything beyond the real optical zoom range is digital zoom.
Have you seen that moon mode though? I don’t know how they do it. I have thought about that tech and how in a few years with better sensors and software it could be used for some sort of super telephoto tracked Astro. Maybe using the sensor shift instead of to stabilize but to follow something like the moon or even a distant planet or nebula as it moves across the sky. The sky is the limit, wouldn’t surprise me with Samsung because back when they made cameras in some ways were many years ahead of the competition with some really innovative stuff for the time.

Reactions: M3gatron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.