Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNet reports that Apple has almost completed the agreements with the top four record companies to launch their cloud music offering.
Apple is closing in on obtaining the necessary agreements with the top four record companies that will enable the company to launch a fully licensed cloud-music service, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.
According to CNet, Warner Music Group and EMI Music deals are in place while Sony Music Group and Universal Music Group are "close" and could be completed by next week.

Both Amazon and Google have recently launched cloud-storage and music streaming services but without the record labels' consent. Apple is rumored to be including such a "digital locker" service in the next major version of iOS and has rumored to have purchased "iCloud.com" domain as the possible name for the service.

Article Link: Apple Signs EMI, Cloud Music Deals Almost Done

Kapangas

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Zwingenberg, Deutschland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148a)

Sweet! I'm sure it'll be better than Google's and Amazon's :D

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just waiting for the "only iTunes purchased music" hammer to fall. When / if it does, this will be slightly more popular than Ping is currently.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
Why do I have this feeling that once Apple has signed and closed these deals, Amazon and Google will be stung with a cease & desist from the RIAA for their cloud music efforts, leaving just Apple as the only place to go for cloud music.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Why do I have this feeling that once Apple has signed and closed these deals, Amazon and Google will be stung with a cease & desist from the RIAA for their cloud music efforts, leaving just Apple as the only place to go for cloud music.

Because you are a jedi!

We'll see how far this goes, I'd really like to be able to upload my 8gb of music to the cloud for on the road!

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W

That would be okay, more market share for Apple means my stock goes up!

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148a)

Sweet! I'm sure it'll be better than Google's and Amazon's :D

Or crippled to keep the labels happy? Let's hope not ;)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just waiting for the "only iTunes purchased music" hammer to fall. When / if it does, this will be slightly more popular than Ping is currently.

You should be in on the negotiations. Clearly, Apple is lost without your prognostications.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That would be okay, more market share for Apple means my stock goes up!

Look everyone a living example of an Apple Fanboy.

I think google and Amazon know that the RIAA can not really touch them on how they are currently doing it. Space is cheaper then more than likely what RIAA was demanding in fees. RIAA business model is very out dated and they are still struggling to stay relevant in today's internet world.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008

No need to be a negative nancy, let's wait and see what Apple has to offer before we complain.

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011

Yup - first thought I had when I heard about possibly not having to actually upload any music. iTunes purchases aside, you'd be SOL as far as music in your collection that is not available on the store (and therefore not in their cloud). Also, imagine there would be plenty of song-matching issues with songs that don't match up up ID3 tag info with Apple's cloud tracks properly.

Dmcgee123

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really, anything short of being able to upload 80+ GB of non-iTunes music will elicit a big fat yawn from me. And I seriously doubt this will happen, so...can't say I'm too excited about iCloud.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
No need to be a negative nancy, let's wait and see what Apple has to offer before we complain.

Never said it was going to happen, just saying what I think the outcome would be IF it were to happen that way. I would elated if this deal was source agnostic, however, I think there is a distinct possibility that it will be for iTunes only acquired content.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Maybe Apple will allow you to upload iTunes tracks if you have MobileMe, but require you to pay extra on top of the MobileMe charge to upload non-iTunes tracks.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
If the other "Cloud" services didn't ask the Music labels for the OK who do you think the Music labels are going to sign with? Apple all the way ! The other services will have pay a higher price for the OK or be asked to shut down.

ccuilla

Cancelled
Dec 19, 2003
Maybe Apple will allow you to upload iTunes tracks if you have MobileMe, but require you to pay extra on top of the MobileMe charge to upload non-iTunes tracks.

Possibly something like that. But I'd actually be very surprised if you had to upload anything you've actually purchased from the iTunes store. They already know what you bought. My guess is that your Apple/iTunes ID becomes your login to your iCloud service and...you login...agree to the Terms of Service and...Boom! All your iTunes purchased content is already there.

ccuilla

Cancelled
Dec 19, 2003

This would probably even be an unofficial request from Apple to the record companies. ;-) Sometimes business is war.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
iCloud? Nooo! I wanted my Castle in the sky. :(

laputa-castle.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.