Apple silicone case and cover combo is silly combo, so heavy

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Sillythink, Apr 6, 2016.

?

Silicone combo is so heavy

1. Heavy

35 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Not heavy

33 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. imac09 macrumors member

I have the Silicone Case, Smart Keyboard and the Smart Cover, all are Charcoal Gray on the 9.7" Space Gray IPP, all three look good and work good...

2. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

This is very true, and I do like that about it.

3. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I have the back and front in midnight blue, love it.

4. alau0115 macrumors regular

I've got the back in midnight blue and the front in apricot. Hope it works out when my iPad Pro 9.7 arrives.

Also found out from the description on the back of the packaging of the smart cover that it is made of polyurethane. So Apple has used silicone for the case for more rigidity and polyurethane for lightness in the smart cover.

5. alau0115, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

alau0115 macrumors regular

Just put mine on the weighting scale -

iPad Pro 9.7"
    Smart Cover - 109g or 3.8oz
    Silicone Case - 84g or 2.9oz

Attached Files:

6. sekman macrumors newbie

I really have been quite satisfied with my Smart Keyboard and back cover on my 9.7" pro. They protection that both afford is really great.

However, it wasn't until just now that Used my pro "naked" and really it's quite light without both covers! I'm torn whether or not to keep my keyboard and back cover they are nice, but heavy, and also very expensive. Ugh tough decisions.

7. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I've only used Smart Covers since 2012 and I've been good so far. I don't like the added bulk or heft.

8. Javabird macrumors 6502

Just curious, how do you use all 3 ? Do you take off the keyboard case and replace with Smart Cover as needed?

9. imac09 macrumors member

Yes

10. mikeb3408 macrumors member

Do you have any pictures of of the keyboard combined with the back silicone cover?

11. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I'm still loving my red case cover combo. It's a keeper. For all that $$$ paid I might as well use it until the tablet blows up.

12. Javabird macrumors 6502

OK, just curious why 2 cases. Does the keyboard case not work as a cover as well? I ordered one but haven't received it yet so haven't had a chance to try it out.

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Why not watch some YouTube videos to see for yourself?

14. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

It's a lot heavier than the normal cover, maybe that's why he/she likes to switch it out.

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

It does work as a cover.

16. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Can someone weigh the keyboard cover please? (or has someone already done so)

17. jqc macrumors regular

The back case is 20% the weight of the ipad, makes it hard to swallow, especially given the price; haven't found a back cover that weighs less though and my preferred route of bestskinsever is basically a non-starter given the protruding camera lens.

Its weird that compaines like Incipio(Nude) and Switcheasy (cover buddy) don't seem to be making back covers anymore - Im pretty sure neither did for the Air 2; the Nude would have been a good solution.

18. anwedr macrumors newbie

It does add a bit of bulk to the entire device. However, the protection and the way it fits so snug is perfect.
    I have the silicon base and Smart Keyboard combo. I would love the Smart Cover in instances when I do not need the keyboard, but that would be too redundant and ridiculous spendings.

19. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I'm doing the same. My keyboard cover should arrive by Friday. My thought is to use it when traveling because I need to do document edits, answer client email, etc., on the road. For daily use the Smart Cover will be fine, but on the road, the keyboard should provide some advantages for my workflows. I'm planning to simply swap one for the other, since it so easy to do using the magnets.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2016 ---
    Same here, great look.

One thing I like about the silicone cases is that they are easier to clean than my former leather smart case on my Air 1. I do a lot of cooking and write my own recipes which are stored as PDF documents in a Dropbox folder. When I'm cooking, I keep the iPad near me with the recipes on the screen. Not surprisingly, it gets a bit dirty from aerosoled oils, etc. I simply wipe the screen with a damp microfiber cloth to clean it, and the same with the silicone cases, and it's back as good as new again instantly.

20. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I try to keep mine as minimal as possible and only what I really need. I have the keyboard cover and really like it for typing long emails for work. Then I have a matte skin on the back. That's it for me. I had a similar combination on my prior iPad and it gave me the flexibility to easily detach the iPad from the keyboard when just surfing the net, reading or watching videos. The skin gives plenty of scratch protection for the back side and when I'm using my iPad, it's at a desk, recliner or in bed.

21. Javabird macrumors 6502

My keyboard case weighs 8.125 oz.

22. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

The smart case was much better, they did this to cut costs, silicone is cheaper than leather & also so they can charge more for both parts. That is the new apples innovation. Probably the most premium silicone cases available.

23. jqc macrumors regular

I would like to go with a skin only, but that %$%^# camera bump, I cant get over it.

24. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

And for me, I think I have used the camera in any of my iPads less than 10 times in total. I use my phone for photo taking. I will keep an eye on the camera lens to see if it gets scratched. It's very cool in these forums to see what is important for other users.

25. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Does anyone know the weight difference between the 9.7 combo and the old Air 2 leather case? Apple used to post weight specs. They no longer do, which makes me wonder if the silcone combo is a lot heavier.