Apple silicone case and cover combo is silly combo, so heavy

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Sillythink, Apr 6, 2016.

?

Silicone combo is so heavy

1. Heavy

35 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Not heavy

33 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. Sillythink macrumors member

Anyone know the weight of ipad pro 9.7 silicone case and cover?

2. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I have the silicone case and cover for my mini 4 and it does make it quite a bit heavier / heftier.

3. Sillythink thread starter macrumors member

4. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I love it. Not sure it's worth $118 (though I'm not returning it) but I'd say $79 would be a fair price. The fit is amazing and the in hand feel can't be beat in my opinion. It obviously makes the iPad heavier than not having anything on it but for the look, feel, and protection, it is totally worth it to me.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I like it. I have the Midnight Blue case and smart cover for my new IPP 9.7. For me, the price was not a concern, and neither is the weight. What I like is the precise fit and the low bulk. The silicone is easy to clean and is holding up better than the leather smart case I had on my Air 1. It also provides a good grip in my hands and does not get slippery over time or saturated with oils and lotions, like the leather case for my iPhone 6S did (switched that out for a silicone model and never looked back).

So for me, it works.

6. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

It's not "silly" at all, just way overpriced, very heavy, and slippery. I also wish that it was still leather and still came in black.

7. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I also have this combo in Red. It's grossly overpriced but i'm keeping it. Apart from what others have already said, there's also the edges of the case are raised above the screen a good amount.

8. Avenger macrumors 6502

What's more worrying is in a separate thread that people are saying that the silicone case for the 12.9 pro splits at the corner after a while.

9. alau0115, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

alau0115 macrumors regular

Surprised to see the combo is perceived as heavy. Haven't received mine yet but judging from the full Apple silicone case for my iPad 4, it was the lightest case I came across at that time.

For iPad Pro 9.7, the combo should be a tad heavier as the hinge of the smart cover has metal. Still it would not be as heavy as any hard plastic cases offered by 3rd party. When in Apple Store the other day, I put some Logitech cases for iPad Air/Air 2 in my hand and it was really heavy in my opinion. They may have better shock protection though...

My 2 cents is it would be more objective if someone who has the combo for iPad Pro 9.7 that can put them on a weighing scale to quantify.

EDIT: Just found the other thread has the info for the weights.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-air-2-leather-case-vs-pro-smart-cover-and-back.1966124/

10. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

There were no Apple silicone cases for iPad 4. That was polyeurthane and WAY thinner than the silicone cases (I've had both). I believe the silicone cases are hard plastic cases with silicone and microfiber surrounding it, whereas the iPad 2-4 cases were just thin layers of polyurethane and microfiber without the hard plastic frame, except around the edges.

11. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

It's heavy-ish but the only thing silly to me is the pricetag for the set..

12. Wackery macrumors 6502a

It's heavy, no bones about that, but it's so functional

13. Ariaizadi macrumors regular

I just got my pro 9.7. I want to get the Smart Cover/case combo. What color do you think goes best with a black iPad, should I also get both pieces the same or do a contrast?

14. alau0115, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

alau0115 macrumors regular

Glad you pointed out. Sorry I forgot.

Yes, the one for iPad 4 is indeed polyurethane which I pointed out in another post regarding the difference between polyurethane and silicone cases. I like polyurethane better as it doesn't attract lint at all despite it gets stained

Regarding the silicone cases, I am not sure if there is actually a hard plastic case inside. Rather it is a silicone shell with interior microfiber lining.

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Something is hard inside giving the whole thing a rigid structure. It's not your run-of-the-mill silicone case through and through - which is much more "floppy" for lack of a better term. Guess we'll never know what's inside until someone cuts theirs in half ... and I have a feeling it won't be us doing that experiment ;)

16. David58117 macrumors 65816

I certainly don't think it's silly. Coming from the leather case of the iPad Air 2, I definitely prefer the silicone combo of the 12.9 pro. It feels cleaner and more professional.

17. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Everybody's different but I went with the Royal Blue Smart Cover and the Gray Silicone Case. I'll get it tomorrow for some picture ops.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

Overpriced. Heavy. Slippery. No Leather Option. Doesn't come in Black.

But its not "silly"? :D

At this point the iPad isn't pretty or braggy. Its just a tool and I really don't feel like spending $120 for a plastic hammer holder. So once my Pro9.7 comes in then I'm going to try to figure out how the magnet polarity has changed and just frankenstein out a functional case out of my stack of Smart Covers that I've accumulated since the first iPad. Sure, it'll probably be ugly but at least it will be leather, black and "free".

19. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

20. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

21. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Yes, it's definitely not as bright as the Apple Store portrays it. I actually probably prefer it that way.

22. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

It may make my 12.9 heavier, but it protects it and looks good. Easy to take off when you want as well. Pricey sure.... It's Apple.

No silly to me.

23. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

This

24. richard371 macrumors 68000

I like mine but will prob return the cover when the keyboard arrives. Very easy to take off the cover or kb when you want to make it lighter.

25. trapperj macrumors newbie

trapperj

That happened to mine after about three weeks. Apple replaced it . . . That being said, I've stopped using it due to the extra weight the case and cover add. I'm going to carry them in sleeves going forward, and use the keyboard cover when I need it.