Apple skimped on the RAM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JimKirk, Mar 23, 2011.

1. JimKirk, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

JimKirk macrumors 6502

I still get page reloads after 4 tabs but it depends on how much free ram is available.

I reboot Ipad I can load like 8 without reloads.

After using a few apps it reloads after one or two sometimes.

The point of this thread is not another xoom vs ipad thread. Its just my experience.

I have Ipad and Xoom. I like them both

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

iPad 1 or 2?

3. JimKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Ipad 2

My xoom has 1gb. So if specs don't matter how come I don't get reloads on the xoom lol.

Increased RAM improves the user browsing experience.

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

It's how you use the RAM as well. There could be an implementation specific reason this happens on the iPad.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

GOD DAMMIT!!! Got sucked into another Xoom vs iPad, Android vs iOs thread.

Move along, nothing to see here folks.

6. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

They also skimped on the cameras, speakers and expansion.

The XOOM skipped on graphics power.

Everyone knows what each tablet is and isn't.... If you knew it had 512mb ram and that it would be an issue for you, why'd you buy it?

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Get a better browser..you just spend $xxx spend 99 cents on atomic.

8. shen macrumors 6502

Xoom skimped on actually having an OS though, so i guess it all comes out even...

9. JimKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

10. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I've never understood why someone would have more than four tabs open at once.

Since owning the iPad 1, I've never come across a situation where I NEEDED to have four or more tabs open. That's what bookmarks are for. I've had situations where I've needed three, but not four.

11. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

Then why did you even bring it up? You could have made your RAM gripe without ever mentioning the other product. Psychology 101 says you mentioned it because that's exactly what you were going for.

FWIW, I usually have 5-6 tabs going at any given time, mainly so I can save something I want to remember and look at on my desktop later. So far, I've only seen the iPad 2 reload a tab once... and since this is a RAM conversation and not just a browsing conversation, I'll happily mention that every single thing I do on my iPad has been faster and snappier than it was just a week ago on my iPad 1. Could Apple have put more RAM into the iPad 2, sure... but so far... its a vast improvement from where I was sitting a week ago.

12. bossxii macrumors 68000

So clearly If you don't need to use something there is no chance any of the other millions of users might have a need?

The point of the thread is the iPads lack of ram which Apple once again strings along consumer by adding " just enough" to keep em coming back for more vs doing the right thing and actually putting in enough ram to get the job done right.

13. gatearray macrumors 65816

Not sure what to say about the RAM, as it's been gone over countless times and is really an annoying topic to me, however...

Poorly coded apps steal RAM, but the included iPad app set are all backgrounded, too, including the RAM hungry App Store.

I got into a habit on my iPad 1 to kill the App Store app when not using it, and it seemed to free up a significant amount of RAM for other apps. So, close the door when you exit the store to embark on your epic browsing sessions, and you should hold open pages in memory a little better.

Hope this helps.

14. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

15. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

^you forgot to mention Retina Screen. ohh wait, thats the next model, guess everyone with a iPad2 will have to buy that one as well. :rolleyes:

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Concur. Wish Apple had put 1GB in there, but I'm sure they were doing everything they could to keep costs down.

17. richard371 macrumors 68000

Glad they went to 512 but 1gb would have hit the nail on the head.

18. Kainz macrumors member

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yes, don't tell me they couldn't have done that with the v1, or put in cameras as well.

It's a bit of annoyance when you realize they're holding back on 1 gig for v3...shows you how much influence the marketing department is having on product specs.

20. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

This makes little sense.

If Safari is not working for what you want to do (like having 8 million tabs open at once for god knows what freaking reason), and there is software available that does do what you want, use the software that works.

Most sane people don't have 4 or more tabs open at once on a tablet device. I don't even use that many tabs on my desktop/laptop computers.

Or is this just bitching for the sake of bitching?

21. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Which loads a complex page faster on the same wifi connection?

22. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Have you ever bought an Apple product before? When have they ever been ahead of technology, ever? There is ALWAYS a more powerful, 'better', product available.

Mac Pro? PC whipes its ass.
    MacBook Pro? PC whips its ass.
    MacBook Air? Samsung just released a better-specced laptop, that's also thinner.
    iPod? You have MP3s with OLED, more storage, etc.
    iPad? Playbook? Xoom?

What does Apple make that is the complete best in regards of specifications and numbers? Apple doesn't play the spec game because the majority of consumers don't have the slightest idea of what the benefits of 512mb vs 1gb of RAM is.

Fact is Apple has never played the number game for specifications, so if you want 1GB of RAM in your tablet, don't get an iPad. It's literally that simple.

If specs mattered, why is the iPad 2 STILL selling better than any tablet? The iPad 2 will continue to sell more as well, even when the PlayBook and TouchPad are released.

23. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I use Atomic and I regularly have 5-6 tabs open at once. Even more if the sites I'm on don't have a lot of images. In Atomic, the tabs don't reload, it just warns you that the memory is low and you need to close some tabs. That has happened once to me with my iPad 2. And the sites I had had a bunch of pics.

Like its been said already OP, get a better browser! I don't understand why your using Safari when you said you have Atomic.

24. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Then try perfect, icab, or terra..the former and latter are the most safari like.

25. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

I'd go mad having to switch between more then 4 windows without proper desktop tabs.