Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Slips to Fifth in Global Mobile Phone Share as ZTE Surges

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales in 4Q10 in Millions of Units (Source: IDC)

Research firm IDC yesterday released results for global mobile phone unit shipments in the fourth quarter of 2010, showing Apple slipping to fifth place behind Nokia, Samsung, LG and a surging ZTE. Apple had entered the top five in fourth place last quarter on the strength of the iPhone 4 release, garnering 4.1% of the market, and dropped slightly this quarter to 4.0% as a booming market offset Apple's own unit growth. But on a year-over-year basis, Apple's 86.2% growth easily outpaced the overall market's 17.9% expansion.
The iPhone maker slipped to the number 5 position despite a record quarter for unit shipments and the departure soon thereafter of CEO Steve Jobs on medical leave. It was the company's second straight quarter on IDC's Top 5 list. The iPhone sold particularly well in developed regions of the world, such as North America and Western Europe. Apple, which said it could have sold more iPhones last quarter had it been able to make more, is set to introduce the touchscreen device on Verizon next month.
Despite only appearing in the top five for the final two quarters of the year, Apple was also able to make the list for full-year 2010, shipping 47.5 million iPhones to snag fifth place with 3.4% of the overall mobile phone market. Apple's shipment increased 89.2% in 2010, well ahead of the overall market's 18.5% growth for the year and enough to push Apple's share of the market to 3.4% from the previous year's 2.1%.

Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales in 2010 in Millions of Units (Source: IDC)

Article Link: Apple Slips to Fifth in Global Mobile Phone Share as ZTE Surges

Last edited by a moderator:

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't even realise they made handsets - I thought ZTE were a telecom hardware manufacturer.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
How can you call ZTE a surge when Apple "surged" more?

The "one phone" line is massively tedious.

YOY growth was higher for ZTE.. though i still dont know what phones they make and who are their customers

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Does anyone know what handsets ZTE makes? I see they make a lot of CDMA phones. Never heard of them before so wasn't sure if they made anything that hit the States recently.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Does anyone know what handsets ZTE makes? I see they make a lot of CDMA phones. Never heard of them before so wasn't sure if they made anything that hit the States recently.

looks like they are an OEM for most of the android/win7 phones out there. they will make a basic design that is customized by HTC and others and then resold. or just resold and rebranded under a carrier brand

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Has anyone asked who ZTE is yet?

They might have... ;)

Forgive my ignorance, but who are those ZTE guys?

WTF is ZTE?

YOY growth was higher for ZTE.. though i still dont know what phones they make and who are their customers

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
The crazy thing about this is Apple sells two models. The 3Gs and 4. They are both a higher priced smart phone vs the 100s of dumb phones included in these figures. They are never sold as BOGOs and never given away. And the are in the top five in world sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.