Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone shipments have grown in Q2 2020, as Huawei overtook Samsung as the world's largest smartphone vendor, according to new data shared by Canalys and IDC this week.

Screenshot-2020-07-31-at-15.56.25.jpg

Though the global smartphone market contracted by 14-16 percent in Q2 2020, Apple was the only vendor to defy expectations and grow by up to 25 percent compared to the previous year. As Apple does not publicize exact shipment numbers, the estimated data varies between the two reports. Canalys places the number at 45.1 million, while IDC places it 37.6 million.

Both IDC and Canalys accredit Apple's growth to the success of iPhone SE, stating that the device accounted for around 28% of its global volume, while iPhone 11 accounted for almost 40%.

"iPhone SE will remain crucial to prop up volume this year, amid delays to Apple's next flagship release," commented Canalys Analyst, Vincent Thielke. "In China, it had blockbuster results, growing 35% to reach 7.7 million units. It is unusual for Apple's Q2 shipments to increase sequentially. As well as the new iPhone SE, Apple is also demonstrating skills in new user acquisition. It adapted quickly to the pandemic, doubling down on the digital customer experience as stay-at-home measures drive more customers to online channels."

Huawei toppled Samsung as the world-leading smartphone vendor, with 55.8 million shipments over Samsung's 53.7 million. Xiaomi came after Apple in fourth place with 28.8 million units, followed by Oppo with 25.8 million units. Huawei was also the standout leader in the world’s largest smartphone market, China, taking 44% market share. IDC cautions that the impact of the U.S. Huawei ban will continue to create uncertainty for the company in foreign markets.

Senior Canalys Analyst Ben Stanton stated that going forwards "geopolitical uncertainty also hangs over the global smartphone market. Countries are becoming polarized between the interests of the US and China. In India, for example, Chinese companies now face a wave of negative sentiment. Smartphone vendors need to act, and many are already directing funds to brand marketing to highlight their positive impact in a local region."

IDC expects the launch of four new potential models to allow Apple to effectively challenge Android 5G devices that have been out for more than a year. Apple no longer discloses ‌device shipments, which means that analyst estimates cannot be confirmed by specific sales data.

Article Link: Apple Smartphone Shipments Grow as Huawei Takes Top Spot in Q2 2020

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Somewhere in Apple headquarters they're having a good laugh at the wild guesses the analysts make on their iphone shipments.
[automerge]1596209548[/automerge]

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
Apple seem to not catch up or beat the chinese.

Market share doesn't mean anything. In Europe, you can buy easy these phones:

— Xiaomi Redmi 7A: 99.30€
— Samsung Galaxy J2 / A2: 97.24€
— Huawei Y5P: 82.76€
— Oppo A12: 124.14€

:apple:
iPhone SE 2: 475.94
:apple:
iPhone 11: 796.43

Next phone is definitely gonna be a Huawei or a Xiaomi.

You should make more research before you buy something from these companies. Even then CEO of Xiaomi or Huawei uses an iPhone. :cool:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Let's put this into perspective. How many of those numbers are just the Chinese market alone? I mean they have like the most population of all nations. Obviously Huawei is going to be number one.

To me:
Huawei being number one is not surprising at all. In fact, it would be bad (for Huawei) if they're not number one.
The fact that Samsung can be number two despite them not having any factories in China is actually quite a feat.
Also the fact that Apple can be number three despite their pricing segment is also a feat.

I am curious about the numbers of BBK group (not just Oppo, but together with their sister companies Vivo, OnePlus, and RealMe). I think they're the real number two.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
iphones are taxed pretty heavily, i didn't get to witness this til i was in turkey earlier this year, an iphone 11, after conversion, is around 1100 usd, and when you look across the isle, where a huawei p30 or mate is literally half the price even after taxations.

NavySilver

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
New York, NY
Huawei and Xiaomi edges out the iPhones on some niche areas – for Huawei photo stabilization & high level zooms, and for Xiaomi a more edgy design language. I can see why these appeals can edge out some customers who otherwise would’ve bought an iPhone.

But yes, above all it’s the price.

Reactions: tongxinshe

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Wondering what is the most popular phone? Would like to see guesstimates by phones shipped and/or sold. Which really means to consumers...
Chinese market is huge, having just a piece of that is successful.
In the third quarter earnings call, Cook mentioned the iPhone 11 was the best selling phone in urban China. The best seller overall would likely be a much less expensive phone.

ETA: (referring to China)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SocialKonstruct

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
iPhone SE proving that there is a BIG market for non-flagships with solid performance. Give us more Apple.
I’m not saying SE isn’t selling well, but iPhone 11 is their top seller.
[automerge]1596214322[/automerge]
In the third quarter earnings call, Cook mentioned the iPhone 11 was the best selling phone in urban China. The best seller overall would likely be a much less expensive phone.
He said iPhone 11 is the best seller in their lineup.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Huawei being number one is not surprising at all. In fact, it would be bad (for Huawei) if they're not number one.
The fact that Samsung can be number two despite them not having any factories in China is actually quite a feat.
Also the fact that Apple can be number three despite their pricing segment is also a feat.

Samsung makes phones using Chinese ODMs, similar to the way everyone else like Huawei, Apple, and Xiaomi does it.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Huawei and Xiaomi edges out the iPhones on some niche areas – for Huawei photo stabilization & high level zooms, and for Xiaomi a more edgy design language. I can see why these appeals can edge out some customers who otherwise would’ve bought an iPhone.

But yes, above all it’s the price.

Not just stellar camera features, but also 5G. There are already nearly 100 million 5G subscribers in China. You can't buy an iPhone 5G no matter the price.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Not just stellar camera features, but also 5G. There are already nearly 100 million 5G subscribers in China. You can't buy an iPhone 5G no matter the price.
I don't know if Apple wants to make selling phones for China a priority over the rest of their marketplace? 5G in the USA is just not that vital?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't know if Apple wants to make selling phones for China a priority over the rest of their marketplace? 5G in the USA is just not that vital?

Vital? I think you mean necessary. 5G isn’t even mature enough in the United States to be a predominant selling feature. I’ve mentioned this before, how many consumers are even aware of what 5G even is, let alone the core benefits? I’d say give 5G at least three more years to be widespread and mature, then it will offer more tangible benefits versus just ‘marketing‘.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

The rest of the global marketplace is quickly deploying 5G. Apple is a technology leader. Why would they wait to adopt available and mature technology? Qualcomm is already preparing third-generation 5G modems.

Just because technology is slow to deploy in the U.S. doesn't mean Apple should wait. Can you imagine if Apple waited until today to launch Apple Pay? Just because contactless payment terminals are rare in the U.S. doesn't mean it's true for the rest of the world.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Vital? I think you mean necessary. 5G isn’t even mature enough in the United States to be a predominant selling feature. I’ve mentioned this before, how many consumers are even aware of what 5G even is, let alone the core benefits? I’d say give 5G at least three more years to be widespread and mature, then it will offer more tangible benefits versus just ‘marketing‘.
No argument with your post. USA has Low 5G, mid 5G not really any better then 4G LTE, and mm5G that I dare someone to tell me how that is so superior to using 802.11 AC or AN at a coffee shop or at home? I love the video where a 30 Ghz transmission is attenuated by almost any obstacle in line of sight path. Car drives by it gone. LOL.
While this might be the latest RF cell fad it's far from being superior versus its negatives. But I shortened my previous post and removed that because we were comparing worldwide usage not pushing 5G models just for China. ;)

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The rest of the global marketplace is quickly deploying 5G. Apple is a technology leader. Why would they wait to adopt available and mature technology? Qualcomm is already preparing third-generation 5G modems.

Just because technology is slow to deploy in the U.S. doesn't mean Apple should wait. Can you imagine if Apple waited until today to launch Apple Pay? Just because contactless payment terminals are rare in the U.S. doesn't mean it's true for the rest of the world.
Apple has a right to be cautious. Did they race out with wireless phone chargers, nope? mm5G usage has shown to decrease the battery life on phones, it certainly was the same with Samsung examples. 5G is certainly not a mature technology. Qualcomm may pitch that but no one here likes those freaking stacked antenna arrays to support 5G, what a eyesore. :p

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple has a right to be cautious. Did they race out with wireless phone chargers, nope? mm5G usage has shown to decrease the battery life on phones, it certainly was the same with Samsung examples. 5G is certainly not a mature technology. Qualcomm may pitch that but no one here likes those freaking stacked antenna arrays to support 5G, what a eyesore. :p

Let's put it this way. When Apple adopted LTE, they used Qualcomm's second gen baseband for iPhone 5. Apple is adopting Qualcomm's second gen 5G baseband this year.

Over 50 million 5G smartphones have been shipped in the past 6 months alone. Consumers have been able to buy a 5G smartphone for under $300 for the past 6 months. The RF supply chain is mature. There are many companies supplying antenna packages. How and when and how certain countries and carriers choose to deploy 5G is up to them.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Let's put it this way. When Apple adopted LTE, they used Qualcomm's second gen baseband for iPhone 5. Apple is adopting Qualcomm's second gen 5G baseband this year.

Over 50 million 5G smartphones have been shipped in the past 6 months alone. Consumers have been able to buy a 5G smartphone for under $300 for the past 6 months. The RF supply chain is mature. There are many companies supplying antenna packages. How and when and how certain countries and carriers choose to deploy 5G is up to them.
Heres a 5G marketing example.

5G is not only important because it has the potential to support millions of devices at ultrafast speeds, but also because it has the potential to transform the lives of people around the world. Improvements in 5G technology can help make life better

Please convince us all about the necessity of 30 Ghz mm5G communications, while the industry blindly pumps out new phones faster then landfills can recycle, what is so potentially life transforming about using a phone via 5G these days? Going to take it around to the country side, take a limit amount of 8K video and upload it to the few people that own 8K TVs? Apple computers can't even process/show 4K with HDR really yet.

Who's pushing 5G so hot and heavy? Qualcomm? At&T, Sprint, Verizon, Tmobile so they can sell more contracts. I like to see ATSC 3.0 for OTA HDR TV be pushed more then 5G phones. I respect Apple for taking its time. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.