• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

110806-pc_world_reliability_laptops_2010_500.jpg

Over the weekend, PC World published the results of its annual reliability survey, incorporating reports from 79,000 tech users to assess customer satisfaction with reliability and tech support for a wide variety of products. As in previous surveys, Apple topped the rankings in an assortment of categories, with PC World going as far as to say that Apple "once again smoked the competition", despite a few stumbles from the iPhone.
Apple once again smoked the competition in the desktop, notebook, and smartphone categories, winning high praise from customers in all reliability and service categories. The Macintosh and iPhone maker did so well that virtually all its scores were above average. Apple's only average scores were related to the company's deftness at replacing failed notebook components, and in two areas pertaining to serious problems with the iPhone, the latter perhaps stemming from the iPhone 4's well-publicized antenna issue that resulted in dropped calls for some users.
The report points to Apple's use of high-quality components and a straightforward software experience for providing customers with high levels of satisfaction. In addition, the company's retail stores with Genius Bars offering service and support are seen as a key component to Apple's customer care initiatives.

In the desktop category, Apple, Asus and Alienware topped the rankings, with Apple receiving "above average" ratings in all nine categories measured. According to the survey, under 9% of customers surveyed reported an issue that was unable to be resolved by Apple's support staff, significantly better than the 21% industry average.

It was a similar story for the laptops, where Apple received above average scores in eight of nine categories. Apple scored only "average" in its performance when it comes to replacing failed components. Apple was followed in the rankings by Asus and Toshiba.

When it comes to smartphones, Apple's iPhone swept the top spot with above average ratings in all five categories related to ease of use. But Apple trailed Motorola's offerings in the reliability portion of the survey, ranking above average in two categories and merely average in two categories related to problems experienced out of the box and severe problems experienced by users. In general, the report noted that users are very satisfied with the iPhone itself but frustrated with carrier partner AT&T, which ranks last among major U.S. carriers in PC World's survey of network service.

Article Link: Apple 'Smokes the Competition' in Reliability Survey

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
That's not surprising. Sure people will jump in to complain about their device that failed, but all devices do. If Apple is more reliable than others, it just shows you how unreliable those others are in comparison.

That's one of the advantages Apple has in not playing in the low end of the market. They can make premium products that are more reliable, on average, than the competition that is in a race to the bottom on pricing.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've been accused of being a fanboy on MR so many times (from ignoramuses, so laughable) I shouldn't be saying this but...

this survey just goes to show you how pathetic customer service is at other companies b/c the Apple experience is hardly a joy. I've had to push "geniuses" to get issues fixed many times after the typical "it's within spec," -- annoying stuck pixel; "I can't hear anything," -- buzzing power inverter rote answers.

I've called tech support for other companies though and it is worse, but that doesn't make Apple's great, just better than the worst.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
waiting till iPad2 for one, but when i held the original in the store it felt better made than my old HP business laptop that cost $1500 that self destructed and fell apart

Comment

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Looking at AppleCare I'd like to know why I need to buy a decent support for a huge amount of cash for a high-quality product that costs a lot and is at the same time very reliable.
Apple wouldn't risk something including longer warranty and all that, but today's trend is to give a warranty that is "just okay by law" to save cash cash cash.

Tsss... Seeing how Apple delivers premium quality, I wouldn't mind some premium warranty love, as well. :rolleyes:

Still... I love my iMac and nothing will thorn us apart! :p

Glassed Silver:mac

Comment

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Interesting about component replacement...

I've only had to return a couple things but to list:

2 Magsafe power supplies. They swapped them without checking anything. "Oh, let me grab a new one."

A 15" Unibody MBP. I ordered one the day of release and it made a funny sound (I think it was fan related) but it was really faint. The pitch, however, was so irritating. Took it in and they had a new one shipped to me. (The only downside is that mine had upgraded RAM and they wouldn't swap it in store, which was a bit of a drag.)

Comment

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I've been accused of being a fanboy on MR so many times (from ignoramuses, so laughable) I shouldn't be saying this but...

this survey just goes to show you how pathetic customer service is at other companies b/c the Apple experience is hardly a joy. I've had to push "geniuses" to get issues fixed many times after the typical "it's within spec," -- annoying stuck pixel; "I can't hear anything," -- buzzing power inverter rote answers.

I've called tech support for other companies though and it is worse, but that doesn't make Apple's great, just better than the worst.

I'm not discounting your experiences, but mine have been mostly positive. Not perfect mind you, but very good over all. I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that they just are better because everybody else sucks either.

I find it more than a little humorous that with all of the people freaking out about "antennae gate" and other supposed huge screw-ups by Apple, that they still are tops in the smartphone category. Just shows you how overblown that whole supposed debacle was.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Not surprising. It's Apple, after all.

Comment

notabadname

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
What is particularly entertaining for me, is reading all the "PC World is so biased, these results are not credible" comments at the PC World link. I could understand the bias in "MacWorld" and other Apple centered publications, but "PC World"? The ultimate example of denial is in people who ignore results, regardless of source, if they do not support their own personal agenda.

It's like being a "Pats" fan and saying Payton Manning sucks. If you can't stand back and recognize that Manning is an amazing quarterback, regardless of your personal choices in teams, you are simply closed minded to reality and simply the one who is actually biased and lacks credibility in your evaluations.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Not surprising. It's Apple, after all.

Won't you be declaring any other tech companies dead based on this survey?

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
My iPhone 3G was an amazing device that ran two years solid with next to no problems. My iPhone 4 on the other hand has several problems, one of which was a tendency to repeatedly kick into "no service" mode. Apple replaced it, but now my replacement exhibits a blue blob on every photo I take. So yeah, there are quality control issues with the iPhone 4. Thank goodness I'm not far away from a Genius Bar....

Comment

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
this survey just goes to show you how pathetic customer service is at other companies b/c the Apple experience is hardly a joy. ....

I agree, dealing with the call centers of some for some of these companies or dealing with resellers (best buy), is sometime just horrible.

P.

Comment

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
This is the #1 reason that Apple is selling products in a recession while other PC makers are scratching their heads and losing sales: Customer service.

Take consumer level service. Apple, when I have had issues, I just scheduled a Genius appointment, took the faulty device in, had it replaced on the spot, in/out/done in 15 minutes. Consumer level PC support is abysmal.

There is one niche for the big PC companies -- the enterprise. There, they provide an entirely different line of service, support, and hardware than they try to sling at the consumer. PC support on the business level (assuming you purchase it) is decent. However, consumers don't know this, and are not going to buy these machines.

Because of this, people who depend on their machines, I tell them to bite the bullet and buy a Mac. The time spent actually doing productive work as opposed to being on hold and being repeatedly hung up on with a deadline looming is more than worth the cost, especially for people whose incomes depend on the uptime of their machine.

Believe it or not, college is another place where people don't think about it, but their income can depend on their machine very much. Especially come finals and getting the term papers out. Downtime before a major test can be devastating. This is also another area where Macs are highly recommended.

Comment

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
This survey tells half truth

Apple chooses not to compete on the market for affordable products where quality is generally lower. As far as Apple is concerned, the more relevant survey would be to ask buyers of computers priced above $1K. Would Apple still fare as well? Or perhaps HP's and Dell's enterprise hardware and services would kick in with their same date on site repairs?

Comment

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Lugging an iMac or Mac Pro back and forth to an Apple Store multiple times over several weeks when they fail to fix it over and over again is not fun.

Comment

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
With the exception of one time, I have always had remarkable in-person and on-the-phone support for Apple for all issues.

Comment

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Won't you be declaring any other tech companies dead based on this survey?

Isn't that usually the BLawyer guy? Something like that anyway. "X IS DEAD"

To his credit *LTD* enjoys a largely caps-lock free fanboyism!

Apple does seem to have a reasonable service when stuff goes wrong. Better than a lot of the competition.

Is reliability really better though? It is all the same components in Macs as PCs. We should remember that many people who own Macs can be much more passionate about it than their Windows counterparts, and that may influence responses.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.