Apple Snapping Up 7-Inch Touchscreens Ahead of January Tablet Launch?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T3 has received word that there is a currently a major shortage of 7" touchscreen components, with speculation centering on Apple as a likely culprit ahead of a possible January launch of its much-rumored tablet computer.
Our source said: "If you want to buy a 7-inch touchscreen at the moment, you can't." They added that this could indicate a January release window for Apple's hotly-anticipated tablet.

There aren't many products on the horizon other than Apple's tablet that would need such a large volume of 7-inch touchscreens, suggesting that this tip-off won't be far off the mark.
While an enticing claim, it appears to be little more than speculation based on a rumor. Apple's use of a 7" screen for its tablet device would be a major surprise, as most sources have pointed to a screen in the 9-10" range. Apple, however, is reported to have investigated a series of touchscreen sizes ranging from 4-12 inches, and occasional reports have claimed that Apple is working on a smaller device considered to be something of an oversized iPod touch.

Article Link: Apple Snapping Up 7-Inch Touchscreens Ahead of January Tablet Launch?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/technology/0911/gallery.steve_jobs_testimonials.fortune/6.html

"8 stars speak out on Steve Jobs
Ralph de la Vega
President and CEO, AT&T Mobility

When I first saw the iPhone, even though it wasn't in its final state, I was blown away by what Steve had been able to put into that device.

He'd found a way to squeeze the Mac OS X operating system into a handheld device. That's when the light bulb went off for me -- this device was going to change the industry forever. And it has. It's made the U.S. the epicenter of smartphone development.

-- Interview by Stephanie N. Mehta"

Note full OSX. The primary difference is traditional Finder or Touchscreen Finder.

Rocketman

cites:
http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKDL070PM?meta=FRG

"This listing is for a stunning 7 inch car or home pc touch screen with a VGA connection.

This is made by shark. Model SHKDL070PM. This is the highest res screen we ever had in its class. The touch screen will work with the included pen or with your hand. Limited Supply!

System Specs

* Input configuration Two video input,
* PC standard VGA interface input
* Aspect Ratio 16:9 7 inches (diagonal)
* Resolutions 800(H)(RGB)480(V)
* Adjust Angle Verticale and Horizontal
* Touch Screen USB2.0
* Chromatic System PAL/NTSC Auto Switch/
* Contast 200
* Color black / silver
* shihou 350 cd/m2
* View Angle 45/60(U/D), 65/65(L/R)
* Sharp 7 inch Wide Digital TFT-LCD Panel
* Use LED display of low-electromagnetic eradiate and low-Power
* The Highest Resolution is to 1024x768
* 1pcs Touch Pen"

cites:
http://www.gadgetreview.com/2009/11...-android-device-camangi-webstation-video.html

$400

cites:
http://www.slashgear.com/jointech-je100-ebook-reader-7-inch-touchscreen-0846191/

117 x 182 x 14.5mm
4.6 x 7.16 x 0.57" (Levis 501 compatible)

U.S. Passport: 3.75 x 5" (roundrec corners)

Attachments

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
iPod touch Pro? :D

10" is just too big for a handheld touch screen. 7" would be better.
I don't know. It's obviously going to be too big to fit in anyone's pocket and the more real estate the better, especially on touch screens, so I would think something around 9" would be the sweet spot.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Just looking at my netbook's 10" screen, if I were to hold it by the edges and try to thumb type or touch using my thumbs, I would need fairly large hands to operate the entire surface. 7" would allow for smaller hands as well as make it narrow enough to hold in one hand upright.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Just looking at my netbook's 10" screen, if I were to hold it by the edges and try to thumb type or touch using my thumbs, I would need fairly large hands to operate the entire surface. 7" would allow for smaller hands as well as make it narrow enough to hold in one hand upright.
All of the digital magazine demos lately have been on a larger screen. I wonder if a 7" screen would be big enough for those apps.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That’s book-size: the upper limit of being pocketable and taken around nearly everyplace you go. So I do like the 7” size. But maybe pocketable isn’t worth it since we already have iPhones/iPods.

Fwink!

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Earth
I think a tablet focused on print/text needs to be able to show a 8.5" x 11" document full screen at full res, with a sidebar or buttons for page scrolling.

Henk Poley

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
It must be for the smaller version of the 8 pound iPod with the 10" screen that Steve Jobs leaked in a keynote on MacWorld. This one must be about 5 and a half pounds, by scale. Given the design I guess it runs the Pixo operating system.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
The kindle is the perfect size for a take-everywhere reading/media device. Take out the keyboard and stretch the screen from 6 to 7 inches and you've got a great tablet.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Lets all hope it runs Mac OS X not OS X iPhone...

Apple, i want a touch-capable Finder for when i'm on the go. Not syncing.
Why not the iPhone version? What advantage is having a touch screen interface with a GUI thats built for a keyboard and mouse? Ever tried using an HP Touchsmart PC? It makes no sense to completely change how we interact with a computer if you're not going to have a GUI that is made for the new input. If you want a portable running the traditional OSX Finder, then buy a laptop.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Why not both?

Lets all hope it runs Mac OS X not OS X iPhone...
At the lower end of the software stack they have the same capabilities. You would think by now people would recognize just what iPhone OS is.
Apple, i want a touch-capable Finder for when i'm on the go. Not syncing.
This is what I don't understand, why not have both. Frankly syncing as done between iPhone and Mac OS is a god send. It makes so many things painless that it is hard to see why it would be a problem. As to a Finder and user access to local store I agree it is important, I actually wish Apple would deliver it on the iPhone. A file manager though is nothing more than another app so I don't see this as an issue.

In any event what I find really interesting is that Rumor mill hasn't had much to say about a new revision to iPhone OS. Isn't it about time folks? It make me think they are holding off until new hardware is released. In any event iPhone OS must be under a huge lock down because we haven't seen any rumors about new features, capabilities or enhancements. Personally what would make me happy is a full blown PDF viewer for the iPhone supported by Apple. It certainly would be useful in any new tablet Apple comes out with.

Dave

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Yes a whole family of products.

Maybe Apple has got something else up its sleeves. A 7" and 10" tablet? Oh the anticipation!
What Apple needs is a family of tablets. The Papa Bear being a 10 to 12" device, Mama Bear being a seven inch class device and Baby Bear an overhauled iPod Touch!

Such a line up would meet the needs of a wide variety of users. Personally I'd like something in the Seven inch range for true portability. At the same time though I can understand the need for larger devices.

In either case the important thing is what the family brings to the table. A new generation of devices like this needs to start out with lots of RAM, that means 512MB in the Touch on up. Secondary storage needs to go sky high too, with 96 GB in the Touch, working up to 512GB in the high end models. That is a lot of Flash but it is very important for delivery and storage of all this new content.

Without content the devices will be doomed to failure. Hopefully the content providers will put some wisdom into pricing content to avoid negative backlash with respect to overpriced publications. If the publishers think I'm going to pay newsstand or print subscription prices they have another thing coming.

In any event I'm still thinking in terms of a whole new generation of devices. Even the iPhone will be reborn in this new mold.

Dave

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
I'm very interested. Something tells me that I am going to end up buying it :D

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Does anyone thing this device will work poorly as a ebook reader (which will be one of it's selling points) due to battery life? With other readers they incorporate a screen that consumes very little power when displaying a static page, at the cost of display fidelity.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Why not the iPhone version? What advantage is having a touch screen interface with a GUI thats built for a keyboard and mouse? Ever tried using an HP Touchsmart PC? It makes no sense to completely change how we interact with a computer if you're not going to have a GUI that is made for the new input. If you want a portable running the traditional OSX Finder, then buy a laptop.
That's exactly what everyone thought about the iphone because of all the other crappy touch devices made by other companies until the iphone was released, which still to date literally has the best touch screen (not the multitouch, but the fluidity of the screen) from 2007-2010.

I'm sure they can make a hybrid out of the already hybrid iphone OS and OS X, a middle ground. More expanded then the iphone OS but slimmed down OS X.

You speaking as though it's a fact, you should know by now that apply really is in it's own league and that any PC/ect counterpart cannot compete with it, whatever the competition may be out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.