Apple Sneaks by Android in Fourth Quarter U.S. Smartphone Sales

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
http://allthingsd.com/20120126/nine-out-of-10-iphone-buyers-are-picking-the-4s/

42% broke their contract -- guess it wasn't that difficult to break a contract after all
Breaking a contract and SWITCHING carriers are two different things. But I don't expect you to understand that concept.

If the iPhone 4s wasn't on Sprint and Verizon - it's a no brainer that the 4S would have sold less. The proof is in history.

ETA: Who on this thread said in this thread that Apple failed "big time" (or at all) with the iPhone 4S. We already know you are uber-sarcastic...

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Breaking a contract and SWITCHING carriers are two different things. But I don't expect you to understand that concept.

If the iPhone 4s wasn't on Sprint and Verizon - it's a no brainer that the 4S would have sold less. The proof is in history.
I see all things digitial is playing with words and twisting the truth.

There is a difference between using other lines on a family plan for an upgrade and doing all that switching. It is a pretty common practice because 42% of people breaking contracts and paying ETF is way to high and common sense should tell you that something else is going on.

Now 42% of people doing some work around and not at having standard upgrade I could believe. 42% breaking contract is other wise. Also tells you that Apple has some major followers and worshipers since most of those people are going to be people who already owned an iPhone. Apple marketing machine really gets a lot of people upgrading every year.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

There is a difference between using other lines on a family plan for an upgrade and doing all that switching. It is a pretty common practice because 42% of people breaking contracts and paying ETF is way to high and common sense should tell you that something else is going on.

Now 42% of people doing some work around and not at having standard upgrade I could believe. 42% breaking contract is other wise. Also tells you that Apple has some major followers and worshipers since most of those people are going to be people who already owned an iPhone. Apple marketing machine really gets a lot of people upgrading every year.
Agreed. Weird that some people on this thread are so defensive about something that is so clear and not even critical of Apple. Apple expanded its market - so they sold more phones. If someone wants to split hairs and say it's no surprise they doubled their sales vs they sold a ton more phones so be it. But that's hardly an anti-apple statement.

Just looking at the SMALL microcosm of this site would show the different between ATT being the sole carrier vs opening it up to Verizon and Sprint. For years there have been threads about people WAITING until the iPhone was on their carrier. Whether they hated ATT or just loved whatever carrier they were on.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011

LOL there it is. The spin begins. "This can't be true, the numbers must be fudged"...at what point does this get old to you? It's hilarious how time and time again, with all evidence pointing that you and others in this thread were wrong on all counts that you continue to argue these points.

Of course, with the expert knowledge that you possess "42% is way too high" :rolleyes: Ahh, the spin train is in full force...

Quick recap to the newcomers:

1) It's not "realistic" for people to break contract to get a phone, "most people don't break contracts"
2) "These numbers are expected because no one breaks contracts, its the holiday quarter and the 3GS is free now"
3) 42% break contract
4) The 3GS accounts for 4% of total sales
3) "The numbers must be wrong", "I can see all things digital is twisting the results" LOL

Nice.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
LOL there it is. The spin begins. "This can't be true, the numbers must be fudged"...at what point does this get old to you? It's hilarious how time and time again, with all evidence pointing that you and others in this thread were wrong on all counts that you continue to argue these points.

Of course, with the expert knowledge that you possess "42% is way too high" :rolleyes: Ahh, the spin train is in full force...

Quick recap to the newcomers:

1) It's not "realistic" for people to break contract to get a phone, "most people don't break contracts"
2) "These numbers are expected because no one breaks contracts, its the holiday quarter and the 3GS is free now"
3) 42% break contract
4) The 3GS accounts for 4% of total sales
3) "The numbers must be wrong", "I can see all things digital is twisting the results" LOL

Nice.
Quick recap for the challenged.

1. Rodimus never said what was "quoted" above.
2. The hypocrisy of some posters is amazing given that they can't give anything a rest here and additionally elsewhere on the web. As if ranting here and then on their blog is going to make things "fact"
3. Some posters refuse to understand the difference between breaking a contract and switching carriers as if one equal the other. They don't.
4. People who say they have others on ignore clearly don't. Making them even less credible. People who spread lies about other posters here and on other locations like their blog after already having been handed the truth to them seem desperate.

Quite sad.

Last edited:

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Quick recap for the challenged.

1. Rodimus never said what was "quoted" above.
2. The hypocrisy of some posters is amazing given that they can't give anything a rest here and additionally elsewhere on the web. As if ranting here and then on their blog is going to make things "fact"
3. Some posters refuse to understand the difference between breaking a contract and switching carriers as if one equal the other. They don't.
4. People who say they have others on ignore clearly don't. Making them even less credible. People who spread lies about other posters here and on other locations like their blog after already having been handed the truth to them seem desperate.

Quite sad.
I'm going to give you the same advice you gave me, leave voonyx alone.. His circular arguments remain circular

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I really want to know why he doesn't have an iPhone, I'm sure it's hilarious
I think quite a few of us are wondering that. It seems rather insane that he bashes Android and praises endlessly the iPhone yet does not own one.

Heck he has an entire website set up to bash Android and seems to call anyone who does not praise Apple and the iPhone an Fandroid. Heck he called kdarling an Fandroid.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
My God, after reading his blog, I'm sure that his heart was broken by a girl with an Android phone and since them he projects the hate toward her to Android

Renzatic

Suspended
Wait a second. So we've got this guy who thinks the iPhone is the greatest thing ever, calls everyone a fandroid apple-hater if they so much as slightly disagree with a small statement about the most inconsequential of things, who's been doing this for multiple pages now, and even has a blog where he obsessively posts about how incredibly stupid he finds the arguments of these imaginary fandroids-in-our-midst...

...and he doesn't even have an iPhone?

YEAH OKAY!

Olestros said:
My God, after reading his blog, I'm sure that his heart was broken by a girl with an Android phone and since them he projects the hate toward her to Android.
It wouldn't be the first time one of us has lost a girlfriend to...The Gingerbread Man (aka Android 2.3 in certain geek chic circles). So what if he has more apps than I do? I've got panache and extra savoir faire.:D

Also my app store isn't nearly as bug riddled, if you know what I mean...

kdarling

macrumors P6
To clear up the question about the 42% "breaking contract", I wrote Mike Levin of Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, who was the source of that information.

He replied that he wants to clear it up in person, but truthfully, the tone of this thread makes me hesitant to bring him in.

Perhaps we should start another thread about the report, and point him at that one ?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
To clear up the question about the 42% "breaking contract", I wrote Mike Levin of Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, who was the source of that information.

He replied that he wants to clear it up in person, but truthfully, the tone of this thread makes me hesitant to bring him in.

Perhaps we should start another thread about the report, and point him at that one ?
This is all so Woody Allen/Annie Hall!

Watch... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWUc8BZgWE

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011

how would starting a new thread change anything?