Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'd be surprised to see a 13" iPad. I'm sure there are a lot of good use cases as stated above. But the same thing can be said for the 17" MacBook Pro.

IMO a 13" iPad would be a low selling niche item for geeks and vertical markets.

Selling a million iPads to people who otherwise wouldn't buy one seems a good idea to me. 13" is useful to many people (I would personally prefer it to 10"), and it would open a lot of possibilities for using them as intelligent displays in stores.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I just caved and bought an intuos5 on sale. So the 13" iPad will definitely natively support a pressure sensitive drawing stylus, because that's Murphy's law. :/

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
the cord is a cable. not an "adapter".

the power supply on an AppleTV is internal. not a separately shipping adapter.

You're arguing semantics and then repeating what I said. Yes, what they said is technically incorrect, but they still got the number right.

You know you can't just multiply any two numbers to make up an argument.

Voltage times current gives wattage. The USB spec has a maximum rated amperage that Apple would not likely exceed. The battery is known to be 3.7V/3.8V in Apple iDevices. The 17W doesn't exceed that theoretical 19W maximum, making it plausible. Not sure what else I can tell you or explain.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.

Touch screen real estate is key. If they just threw some gorilla glass or whatever tech used for iPads onto the 15 inch MBP I would be happy.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Selling a million iPads to people who otherwise wouldn't buy one seems a good idea to me. 13" is useful to many people (I would personally prefer it to 10"), and it would open a lot of possibilities for using them as intelligent displays in stores.

That is a good idea. You really think Apple would sell that many? These are going to be pricey. They are going to be retina. And they are going to be big and heavy compared to the 9.7 and 7.9 inch ones.

I just think with Apple selling tons of inexpensive (relatively) 7.9" iPads that this is what the market wants. But if Apple is making a new low volume Mac Pro then anything is possible these days. Pros can't say they are being abandoned. that's for sure.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Last I checked a cord is a cord. Ability to transmit power from one end to another.

So you can plug the appleTV power cord into any other apple device that doesn't have a power brick? They're still unique and have ratings. Just not the number you'd use in this case. I don't like adapter because it's an imprecise term in this case, but it really belabors the point.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
17 watts would just make it charge faster, considering the battery is so hefty to power the quad core graphics.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
So you can plug the appleTV power cord into any other apple device that doesn't have a power brick? They're still unique and have ratings. Just not the number you'd use in this case. I don't like adapter because it's an imprecise term in this case, but it really belabors the point.

actually yes you can.
i can take the cord from my Apple TV, and use it with my airport.. or i can take the cord from my bluray player, and use it on the Apple TV.. its just an AC cable.
Products like the AppleTV, Airport, and even my blue ray player all have internal power supplies..

products like MacBooks, iPads, and iPhones, have an external power supply, which is referred to in the industry as a power adapter. it adapts AC current to DC current.

no one in there right mind would ever call the AC cable on an apple TV a "power adapter".

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
actually yes you can.
i can take the cord from my Apple TV, and use it with my airport.. or i can take the cord from my bluray player, and use it on the Apple TV.. its just an AC cable.
Products like the AppleTV, Airport, and even my blue ray player all have internal power supplies..

And I guarantee you they would use that as an excuse to void the warranty if they could. Even though an iPad adapter also works for an iPhone and vice versa, it's still technically warranty voiding use of the product. Apple quickly blamed a third party power adapter in the iPhone electrocution case. We may not care about pin/plug compatibility, but they do, and that's why everything has a rating, even a cable.

products like MacBooks, iPads, and iPhones, have an external power supply, which is referred to in the industry as a power adapter. it adapts AC current to DC current.

no one in there right mind would ever call the AC cable on an apple TV a "power adapter".

And signal adapters/dongles are a mixture of passive and active, almost always never have an external power plug but sometimes do, and are always referred to as adapters. That's why I think the term is imprecise and don't like it.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
And I guarantee you they would use that as an excuse to void the warranty if they could. Even though an iPad adapter also works for an iPhone and vice versa, it's still technically warranty voiding use of the product. Apple quickly blamed a third party power adapter in the iPhone electrocution case. We may not care about pin/plug compatibility, but they do, and that's why everything has a rating, even a cable.

really? void the warranty you say? please see this page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c

and notice the 12w adapter is compatible with all models of iPhones and iPods.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
in all likelihood the adaptor has been beefed up to perhaps decrease charging times on the newer ipads

iPad 1: 10W PS.
iPad 4: 12W PS.

Between higher capacity and faster charging, 17W is quite sensible without making the device larger.

...though if there is a 13" iPad coming, it would need a larger supply (and 17W could work well).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Apple just recently began the process of procuring low-cost components for the new 17-watt adapter. And while the exact nature of its parent product remains somewhat of an unknown, at least one person familiar with adapter's design believes existing evidence points to be a portable product which could launch within the next 12 months.

It's also said that the new 17-watt adapter is not intended as an upgrade to an existing Apple product line

I think it's obvious what it's for. The iWatch: the most powerful watch on the planet.

They never fixed the battery issues in their prototypes. We now know that it's because the iWatch uses over three times the watts as an iPhone does. Try fitting a battery that supports that kind of wattage into the form factor of a watch!

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Notice it doesn't go the other way though - the 5W adapter is not listed as compatible with the iPad, even though it can still charge it, albeit at a slower rate. Thanks for the correction on 12W adapter though.

The same goes for MacBooks.. i can charge my air using an 85w MBP supply if i wanted to..

I'm still trying to re-iterate the point of AC cables vs. DC adapters.
an AC cable is rated based the AC in your country. so yes, they do have ratings.. if i tried to plug my bluray player into an AC outlet in england, i would fry it..
but if the AC cable was designed for use in the US, its made for 110-120v.. so for the most part, trying not to get to technical, i could use the same cable on any of my home consumer electronics and it would work just fine.

now, yes, we can get to semantics and say, if i have a high wattage amplifier that draws 6amps, then, maybe i should stick with the 10amp rated power cable that came with that, and not use the 2.5amp one that came with my Apple TV..

and in the same way as using a larger power adapter on an iPhone, if i just went out and bought a 15amp rated power cable, then i could use it for anything in my house and never worry about it..

yes, there are "ratings" on everything, but the original point i was making was that macrumors was saying the Apple TV comes with a power adapter, when, in fact, it does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.