Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
You blatantly make up stuff without the slightest evidence. Actually, with lots of evidence pointing fully to Apple not cooperating with the NSA the slightest bit. And ******* the NSA, it is illegal for them to spy on people in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, based on UK and EU law, and if anyone of their employees leaves the USA, they should be incarcerated immediately.

At the same time you seem to not understand the concept of a "customer". Most of Apple's customers, you know the people who make Apple rich, are not in the USA. Given the choice between pissing of their customers who are their source of income, and pissing of the NSA, it is obvious to anyone that they will rather piss off the NSA. And they do so mightily already.
No offense, but what "evidence" do you have other than Apple stating they don't? Regardless, we know you will defend them no matter anyway :rolleyes:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Where I am right now the temperature is -13F. Global warming my you know what. :rolleyes:

It's not global warming anymore because that is too easy to debate, it's climate change, which is basically any deviation can be attributed to climate change.

Used to be the next ice age is coming but that didn't pan out. Global warming could be debated, but now it's climate change and the DISCUSSION IS OVER, THE SCIENCE IS IN. The debate is over. That push right there shows me this isn't about seeking the truth but putting in place a system to wield power through regulation. For the kids and the planet of course. Any dissent will not be tolerated. Give up your land, private properties, we will gut your industries and destroy your American independence! A coordinated push to subordinate citizens to the environment movement.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Well these sites definitely won't be using solar power.

That's what you think! Most of that €1.7 billion comes from shipping lots of sunlight to Ireland and Denmark. 100,000 sun lamps don't come cheap, you know! ;)

Shows how little you know of the country.

It's the first country to go fully green by 2025 and not use a single drop of fossil fuel. Leading in wind power and other renewable energy know-how. They reuse the heat generated by their garbage facilities to heat all homes connected to the system.

It makes total sense that Apple would invest in a country that's so focused on green alternatives and world leading in the field, not to mention strategically connected to the backbone of the Internet.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
The USA constitution was founded against what Europe stood for, so it's possible that Apple could be forced to give over user data, if not, the governments and banking systems will take it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

It's the first country to go fully green by 2025 and not use a single drop of fossil fuel. Leading in wind power and other renewable energy know-how. They reuse the heat generated by their garbage facilities to heat all homes connected to the system.

It makes total sense that Apple would invest in a country that's so focused on green alternatives and world leading in the field, not to mention strategically connected to the backbone of the Internet.

I think you took my post a liiiitle bit too seriously!

But it's great to hear about Denmark's efforts. It is actually pretty well known here for being very progressive in that regard. Certainly in regards to wind power, Denmark was well ahead of most countries in using it and Ireland - though very late to the party - is catching up quickly.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
"Tackling climate change" by building large server farms. :rolleyes:

"Leaving the world better than we found it" by selling 100's of millions of iPhones which will be discarded just after a few years. :rolleyes:

"Green Industry growth", green and industry, there is a conflict right there.

"Our commitment to environmental responsibility is good for the planet" Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

There is a fundamental debate whether a decline in the use of natural resources can ever be achieved in a free market economy. If you are of the position that it cannot than the only thing left to do is to restrain ones own personal use of natural resources. And choosing in that context to get digital content from Apple instead of Amazon is a fairly weak measure, simply not consuming any digital content would be the more honest one.

The point here is that Apple is responding to demand and technological progress, where of course they have contributed to technological progress (which in itself created demand which they further fanned by their marketing). Either you believe that through increasing the cost of natural resources, through technological progress and through personal choice the consumption of natural resources can be reduced globally, or you believe this is impossible without imposing a dictatorial regime.

----------

I'm absolutely for doing everything in the most environment friendly way possible. It's just the uninformed tree huggers who can't imagine a middle way between destroying the planet and going back to the stone ages (where 7 billion people would starve rather quickly).

As it is the problem everywhere, people want simple solutions to complex problems, because complex solutions are hard and messy. Therefore it is either the apocalypse of massive environmental degradation or the stone age.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I have no problems with tree huggers. I have a problem with uninformed tree huggers like the one you answered to. Apple is trying to build data centres in the most environmentally friendly way possible. Among other things, this will drive down the cost of others who want to use similar technologies. Phones improve people's lives. And Apple will recycle every phone that you return to them.

I'm absolutely for doing everything in the most environment friendly way possible. It's just the uninformed tree huggers who can't imagine a middle way between destroying the planet and going back to the stone ages (where 7 billion people would starve rather quickly).

I'm with you on that. But there are mis-informed and delusional people on both sides of the climate change argument

The oturight deniers of climate change who are purposely ignoring dozens of years of scientific research (often using conspiracy thoeries to ignore that research) are just as bat**** crazy as the greenpeace tree huggers who think we should be living as hunter gatherers still.

There's a moderate middle. We should be doing everything within our own invidual powers to reduce, re-use and recycle. Even if you don't believe in Climate change, it makes absolutely no logical sense why you wouldn't do whatever you could to help reserve limited resources for the future.

Its a win/win situation if EVERYONE takes reasonable steps to 'clean up'. its a lose lose to continue operating ignoring what effects human behaviour has on the world around us.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Well these sites definitely won't be using solar power.
Their higher rate of cloud cover and more northern latitude is more than made up for by being very windy locations. The west of Ireland has nothing but the Atlantic ocean in front of it and Denmark the North Sea. On a really windy day, Denmark already produces more electricity from wind power than its total electricity consumption (averaged over the year it is already more than 30%).

----------

Ah so that's why the environmental crowd is now calling it climate change instead of global warming. Anyway, yeah the climate will always be changing. Whether man in causing it to change for the worse is not settled science no matter what the left says.

As long as there a single scientist who disagrees, people will grasp onto that as an excuse for denying what they don't like. Works from climate change over vaccines to evolution.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Ah so that's why the environmental crowd is now calling it climate change instead of global warming. Anyway, yeah the climate will always be changing. Whether man in causing it to change for the worse is not settled science no matter what the left says.

False.

Just over 97% of published climate researchers say humans are causing most global warming.

Source:- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

The science is settled. There is a problem with some sections of the general public latching onto extremist views without educating themselves.

I had to point that out but please don't reply because you're not going to change your mind and I'm not going to read it.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
False.

Just over 97% of published climate researchers say humans are causing most global warming.

Source:- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

The science is settled. There is a problem with some sections of the general public latching onto extremist views without educating themselves.

I had to point that out but please don't reply because you're not going to change your mind and I'm not going to read it.
Wiki huh? That totally settles it :rolleyes:

Climate change has been happening for hundreds of millions of years..... or thousands for the 6000 year crowd....

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If Apple's wasting (i mean spending) $2 billion for data centers in Europe, let the rest in on a bit huh ?

I'm still waiting for these faster speeds they keep promising when they get round to their CDN......

Unless hey haven't built it yet, then that's ok,, i'll let them off the hook, but if it supposed to speed up performance on Apple's services, they ain't workin'

Maybe Apple only said it would impact the U.S ?? *grins*, not international users, but Apple services are just as slow as they always were... I don't see any improvement.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
$1 billion to build a data center?
Does any one even fathom that amount? Does it really cost that much to build a warehouse with computers used as servers?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I think you missed the irreverence / sarcasm in whooleytoo's post.

----------

I think you took my post a liiiitle bit too seriously!

But it's great to hear about Denmark's efforts. It is actually pretty well known here for being very progressive in that regard. Certainly in regards to wind power, Denmark was well ahead of most countries in using it and Ireland - though very late to the party - is catching up quickly.

Got my new full electric car arriving next week - lets see how it gets on outside of a city in the Rural Kerry :) Should be an interesting experiment anyway.

If I break down or run out of juice on the way to Cork will ye pick me up :D

----------

Does any one even fathom that amount? Does it really cost that much to build a warehouse with computers used as servers?

They have to buy land, draw up plans, get them approved and pushed through by local governments. They have to lay down the infrastructure to supply it and to power it. Lay out infrastructure coming from it - telecommunications wise. They need to sort out road infrastructure too and fro. They need to lay down the renewable energy source (likely solar and wind powered) infrastructures.

They don't just hire a warehouse and throw a few old redundant mac pro's in there :rolleyes:

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Construction of the building itself, obtaining the building permits, purchasing (or leasing of) the land itself, obtaining the necessary computer and networking hardware (a single server can easily go beyond 10,000 USD), digging the necessary fibre infrastructure, setting up the server cooling system, etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.