Apple SSD Owners Unite!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPhone1, Sep 18, 2010.

1. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Who else here is rocking an Apple-installed SSD? Any regrets on not going with an SSD from companies like OWC? Is the Apple one fast enough for you?
    Sound off and tell us your story about your Apple SSD!:apple:

2. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Had one in my MBA and now my new i7 MBP -- love it! Plenty fast for me!

3. highADP macrumors member

I adopted a 128GB Apple SSD in my 15" core i7 MBP. I have the machine for a few weeks now. Honestly, I'd never go back to the spinning platter if money in my wallet allows. Boot up time is ~ 15-17 sec. MS word/excel/powerpoint, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator CS5 are up within ~3-4 sec, which is a lot faster than 7200rpm HDD in my iMac. I don't have any numbers from any bench tests tho but you can check that out from old posts. However, many people say that Apple SSD is not a worthwhile upgrade because it's not the best one in the market. Well, I'm satisfied with what I got so far :D

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

it's not that they're not good, they're just not good for the price

5. discosoap macrumors regular

I feel the same. I spent 125 euro to get a 2.5" OCZ Vertex 2 (275MB/s up/down) and 20 euro getting an el cheapo Optibay clone from China (meaning I run a dual drive system, one for speed (60GB Vertex 2), one for storage (320GB@5400rpm). That is under 150 euro's. Apple would have sold me their SSD for 270 euro's (albeit 128GB) that would have performed less (from what I read about it) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=635291

6. JS2C macrumors newbie

Where can I find that optibay clone?? I don't know what keyword to use to search for it..:(

7. spacedesign911 macrumors regular

I've had the OWC 240 Mercury, its a screamer, I mean it , its faster than you could ever need. It hit 230 mb per sec.

I now have the Apple Toshiba ssd in my macbook and its epic, it only hits 180 mb per sec, but I feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing its covered by Apple.

I have no hesitation recomending someone to pay 500 for SSD performance, HDD are bottlenecks.Sacrafice that cup of coffee a day and go SSD.

8. discosoap macrumors regular

9. JS2C macrumors newbie

10. discosoap macrumors regular

11. cxc macrumors member

Is there any definitive word on what drives Apple uses these days?
    Single supplier or portfolio of suppliers as with the hdds and opto drives?

12. discosoap macrumors regular

I am not perfectly sure, but I read it would be Toshiba/Samsung. I assume they will always try to find multiple suppliers for most parts, in order to get stability in supply, best price, etc.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

All the people here yahooing about the Apple SSD's not being worth the price and at the same time cheering about how great their 3rd party SSD's are is missing one big point. If I have problems with my Mac, I want to take it to Apple and let them replace the drive, it's worth paying a little extra for that. You can't do this with a 3rd party drive since it's not covered under Apple's warranty. The Apple SSD's are very good a fast. Some people here are just picky ass nerds who cheer about 1 or 2 seconds of quicker performance from their unsupported 3rd party SSD and at the same time will come here and say the Apple SSD's are dirt slow which is a complete lie.
    I had an Apple SSD in my Macbook Air and my 13" MBP and boot times were 15 seconds and very quick data transfers.

The rest of you can go ahead and strip your screws switching out your factory HDD for a 3rd party SSD, and many of you have stripped your screws, there's plenty of threads on this.

14. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Agreed, but you also have to take into account that not everyone can afford Apple's SSD prices, that's why we choose to go 3rd party.

15. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Wow, calm down there buddy. Apple's SSDs aren't dirt slow, just that quite a few 3rd party ones are just better drives overall and cheaper. If you're lazy and are willing to buy Apples overpriced SSD to have it covered by Apples warranty than fine, enjoy it. Personally, I see no problem in dealing with the 3 and 5 year warranty/RMA service with 3rd party SSDs (and neither do the people that have to deal with them).

Also, an MRoogle search doesn't really show that many recent stripped screw posts so I don't know where you get that idea from. Searching "stripped screw" the first post is from 2006, and many are from 2009 and 2008.

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

At best the Apple 128GB SSD is about $50 more than some 3rd party models you might find on the web. If ANYONE can afford an SSD then it's not about money, it's about word of mouth that Apple SSD's suck and that's simply not true. What IS true is Apple blows up prices on ram but their SSD prices aren't bad at all, especially for something already pre-installed and fully covered under the Apple factory warranty.

17. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

18. DJ-R macrumors regular

DJ-R

19. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

In the end you pay a lot more though as Apples factory warranty is only one year (Don't see how you can justify paying the Apple premium on the SSD/RAM for a 1 year warranty). You need to purchase Applecare (Which is an additional $350 USD, basically the cost of another good SSD!) to get a warranty time that is worth while. Meanwhile, 3rd party SSDs are cheaper, better and come with 3-5 year warranty/RMA service right of the box (In my experience, Kingston, OCZ, Corsair, intel all have great service).

20. greenmountain macrumors newbie

With all due respect to DesmoPilot, I suspect I speak for more than a few MacRumors users when I say I use Apple's stock drives, etc mostly because I don't feel comfortable taking my computer apart and fiddling around with its insides. I admire those of you who can build and service your own machines, but lacking the time and/or the technical know-how to do so does not make the rest of us "lazy".

As for the original question... I've had a Macbook Air w/ SSD for about 6 weeks now and have been very impressed with its speed. Can't see myself going back to HDD, at least in a notebook, so long as my wallet allows.

21. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Debatable, but not worth getting into a long-drawn out discussion. Point taken though.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Firstly, I'm very calm, I'm just speaking the truth. Secondly, that's very childish of you to directly insult me. It has nothing to do with being lazy. Yeah right, the non-lazy ones post here crying a river with stripped screws or something not fitting properly because they decided to take it upon themselves to install 3rd party add-ons :rolleyes:. MRoogle obviously didn't turn out the amount of actual threads here, but if you want to downplay that, no worries.

Also, maybe should take a quick look at the OP again, looks like you didn't read it. The OP is asking feedback from people who bought a Mac and opted for the Apple SSD, he didn't ask for Apple SSD alternatives, please stay on topic. :p

23. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Love the speed, dislike the space. It will take some work to stay below 120 gigs but I believe the speed is worth it. :apple:

24. Covart Guest

1. Buying a 3rd party SSD is cheaper than Apple SSD's, in most cases the drives are faster AND when you buy a 3rd party SSD, you get both the SSD and the HDD that came with the computer for less than the price of one Apple SSD. For those math deficient: 2 drives > 1 drive.

2. If you buy a 3rd party SSD then you know how to install and uninstall a HDD. If the computer needs to go in for service, simply reinstall the original HDD. If the 3rd party SSD fails, most of us buy ones with a 3-5 year warranty (which can be better than Applecare), so the drive gets sent in for a new one. Most people know how to RMA, not like it's hard or any more complicated than going to an Apple store.

3. Apple SSD's are slower than most 3rd party SSD's.