Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Refurbished 24-inch M1 iMac models are now available from Apple's refurbished store in the UK, just a few months after the machines first launched in April.

refurbished-m1-imac.jpg

Right now, Apple has one 24-inch iMac available in a pink color, which was first spotted by 9to5Mac. The machine features an 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU, and 256GB SSD and it is priced at £1,059, a £190.00 savings over the standard £1,249 price.

Refurbished stock varies based on what people have sent in for repair and replacement, and additional M1 iMac models will be available in the future. Those looking for a specific build or a specific color will need to keep an eye on the store to wait for their preferred version to pop up.

All of Apple's refurbished Macs are sold with the same one-year warranty that's offered with a new Mac, plus they come with all manuals and accessories, including a USB-C power adapter and cable. Apple's refurbished devices are subjected to a rigorous testing, repair, repackaging and cleaning process to make them identical to new devices.

Categories for refurbished 24-inch iMacs have also shown up in the United States, so we can expect to see the refurbished iMac models available in other countries in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Starts Selling Refurbished 24-Inch M1 iMacs in the UK

Reactions: rosegoldoli

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
Not a good indicator of popularity. Hopefully Apple will give the new larger iMac better design/features.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
err anyone else concerned that these have broken so quickly that they're already refurbed?

This appears to be the basic base model, so perhaps they are being returned at a higher rate than normal, returns also go into the refurb pool.

I wouldn't be surprised if people are returning them once they find out they have such poor wired connectivity (no ethernet, no USB-A, only two USB-C/TB ports, no SD reader). Maybe they are upgrading to a higher spec models or just something else.

Reactions: LadyMont

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I have bought many refurbished products from Apple over the years and have always had a great experience. I have a refurb M1 mac mini on the way in fact.

Reactions: TVreporter

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
err anyone else concerned that these have broken so quickly that they're already refurbed?
In the UK, refurbished stock can refer to goods that have been returned for a range of reasons and can include products that have never been used.

When I bought an Apple Watch just before the next version was due out, the UK Apple Store had an awful lot of the same models with the Nike strap suddenly appearing in the refurbished section. Maybe people were returning them but my gut feeling is that old stock was being cleared.

In the past, when refurbs are discussed, one reason cited why people like to get them is that if there was a fault, it’s been fixed and the machine is checked, so they feel more confident that there aren’t likely to be other parts not working. With millions of units being produced, statistically, there will be individual parts that are duff and that will need replacing.

Reactions: ian87w

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
That chin can't help the pricing.
I was a defender of the design in photos, then I finally saw them in person. What a horrible let down. Really glad this was Ive’s last major design. He probably wasn’t on board with the poorly executed color scheme, though. Just the poorly executed shape and port removal.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Americans speak so funny… "purchased", "refurbished". Just say that it is used, something that someone bought and returned.
In order for something to be Refurbished it would have to be previously owned and returned. I guess Americans just assume people are intelligent enough to grasp that without it being spelled out.
Suppose that’s what happens when you assume.

Also: not every retailer Refurbishes returns before reselling them. Most wipe them down (maybe) pack them back in the box and knock 10-15% off full retail. Apple does quite a bit more, so yeah, the Refurbished quantifier is necessary.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Not a good indicator of popularity. Hopefully Apple will give the new larger iMac better design/features.
I don’t think there is a correlation to popularity.

desktops sales are very low compared to laptops or other devices. iMac is unpopular by default. They still needed to modernize it, as it is an important part of Apple’s lineup

Last edited:

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Americans speak so funny… "purchased", "refurbished". Just say that it is used, something that someone bought and returned.
Marketing speak for “previously owned” “certified pre-owned” etc.

Refurbished has a meaning. Factory refurbished means the manufacturer brought it to new spec except possible cosmetic flaws. If it’s not factory or manufacturer refurbished, it’s just used or repaired and “fixed up” to sell again.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
This is an “American” thing?

Also, Apple refurbs (or used) go through better QC than new. These are probably the units that people returned because the color was barely off from what the owner had assumed it would look like.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Refurbished stock varies based on what people have sent in for repair and replacement, and additional M1 iMac models will be available in the future.
My opinion - much / maybe most of Apple refurb store stock is about inventory clearance i.e. its new and not refurb / repair at all.

Apple rarely discounts directly to shift stock - it does that via other channels like Amazon and its Refurb store.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Dang! that was fast. Normally the waiting period is 6-8 months for the refurbished models to be put into the market. I have a feeling it's probably easy to manufacture and repair by Apple ;)
Speaking of fast its gone already, check the link, the same for looking at what available in the USA.

M1 24" iMacs sell really quick.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
My opinion - much / maybe most of Apple refurb store stock is about inventory clearance i.e. its new and not refurb / repair at all.

Apple rarely discounts directly to shift stock - it does that via other channels like Amazon and its Refurb store.
Nobody really knows what Apple’s strategy is for consumer refurb versus third party discounters. The strategy does seem to occasionally change however.

LukeHarrison

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
I was a defender of the design in photos, then I finally saw them in person. What a horrible let down. Really glad this was Ive’s last major design. He probably wasn’t on board with the poorly executed color scheme, though. Just the poorly executed shape and port removal.
I always thought they looked great in the photos, and then I saw some in the flesh in an Apple Store whilst I was having my phone battery replaced. The colours look great from the back (especially the orange), but from the front they're far too pale. If the orange was the same bold colour all over I'd have one on my desk right now.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Apple has one of the best refurb programs in the industry. I've been buying them for years now with no regrets. They are immaculate and you can't tell they were ever owned at all.

Does it bother me that someone else owned it for 7 days or that it had a problem and had to be returned? Based on my experience, it doesn't bother me at all. I have an early 2009 24" iMac that I got refurbed that is still around today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.