Apple states NO CASH Sales for iPhones, plastic only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DVNIEL, Oct 26, 2007.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071026/apple_iphone.html?.v=2

I did a search on the forums and didn't see this story yet. I can't believe this move.

Honestly, this discriminates against those that don't have a credit card, a bank account, have bad credit, or those that just dont wish to have credit. I know you need to have a phone, but not necessarily, you can pay a deposit or go prepaid.

I don't know, whats your take?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

could one possibly purchase a gift card and buy an iphone with that?

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

discriminates ? how
    You can go to a AT&T store buy the phone cash, buy more then 2 phones.
    You can "buy" a credit card from most any store and "load it" with $$$
    You can pay with check, money Order, travelers Checks.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You mention those who don't have a bank account.....what century is this? i am sorry but if they can afford a iphone then i bet they will have a bank account. :eek:

5. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Well... why do people who like cash have to go through that? Why do they have to buy something in order to buy something else? that doesn't make sense.

So people who dont have accounts or plastic dont deserve an iPhone? There are plenty of people in this world who make it without using plastic.

6. ventro macrumors 6502a

Completely illegal. Did they even check with their lawyers before they did this crap?

7. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

It has nothing to do with what you deserve.

It has to do with how Apple is willing to do business with you if you want to do business with them.

Cash is effectively untraceable, while credit cards are not.

If someone goes into a store and plops down $10k for iPhones they'll have no idea who he is or how often he does it.

If you use a credit card, there is a paper trail with names and addresses and banks.

8. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

A credit card or equivalent is required to set up a plan for iPhone. There may be security reasons, not that I think it's a good idea.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Succinctly and accurately put.

Same rules apply in the U.K.

10. Geffen macrumors 6502

Most people pay with credit cards or debit cards anyway so i dont think that will be such a big deal, you really dont see too many people carrying around that much cash to walk into an at&t store or apple store to purchase an iPhone.

11. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

They are doing cards only on the UK launch day, it makes sense really on launch day, as it means the shops tills won't be bulging with cash, and encouraging theft.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

It's not illegal - they can do business however they want.

While frustrating for people without a credit card, most UK residents have access to at least a debit card like Visa Delta/Visa Debit, Electron, or Switch/Maestro.

O2 stated the same a while back, iirc.

I understand your problem, OP - I hate plastic too. But for those without even a bank account, there are alternatives available here and here and here and here. A few friends at uni have them to assist them with the whole 'not running up too much debt' thing. They take about 10 days to arrive and work just like Mastercard/Maestro cards. Just load them up and go. I'm tempted to ditch my cards for one :)

13. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Big hotels don't take cash these days, most shops don't take cheques.

14. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Why should they care where the money comes from? It's not like Apple are an ethical company ! (Queue fanboy blood rush)

15. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

Actually accepting cash and not accepting cash has nothing to do with ethics. Its the law that can accept what they want for goods sold. If they said they only wanted cash, that would acceptable. http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml
    More proof, pull out a dollar bill, its for debts only.

Also, I work in a Department for Business Ethics at a college, and given what I see from many other companies, Apple is pretty darn ethical.

Finally, if you want to pay cash, why not just go to the local ATT store. Their souls have been long gone, could probably get it for cash there.

16. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

If it's not obvious to anyone reading this thread yet about why Apple is doing this, it's because they want to identify persons who export and unlock iPhones.

They may eventually follow up with legal action or are simply making an effort to record and keep track of this data for future business reference.

And to anyone who's rights feel violated, I empathize with you but this is simply not illegal.

17. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You link shows that whereas there is no federal law, states could have laws. I am willing to bet a few states will have laws requiring retail stores to accept cash.

18. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

19. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    True. So, best look to the state before crying foul. Most people cmpletely think it begins and ends with the words "legal tender". For those that don't want to click through, I doubt the Fed will mind me reposting their answer.
    http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml#q1
    Which means, unlockers need to immediately start familiarizing themselves with the law... find the stores are in states that require acceptance of cash (if such states even exist) and bring charges against Apple. --Or they could save everyone a lot of time and just buy pre-paid credit cards and gift certificates.

~ CB

20. Hardlight macrumors newbie

If a companies policy (in this case taking card purchases only), disproportionally has a negitive effect on a minority group it could be considered to be indirect discrimination and unlawfull.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

anybody have any doubt that apple only do business with rich ppl? or poor ppl save their lunch $$$ to act rich on gadget?....lol

whats the point, if apple is great at design (which is only thing great about apple I will ever admit, and frankly, true), apple is holding design as hostage for its dirty business (well, its true, every big business is dirty...)...

so, iPhone, costs $400.00, personally, I don't think its safe to carry that much money in pocket after all. but again, Im not rich, and im not trying to act rich...:)

22. Gonzlobo Suspended

Hotels save credit card information so they can charge guests after the fact for stolen towels and such.

23. mac-er macrumors 65816

Wrong. A store can choose to accept any type of payment they choose.

It's just like a store that says "no checks" or "no bills over $20".

Apple could say that they will only accept pebbles in exchange for an iPhone.

I love people that think that major corporations don't have legal departments that check and double check just about every single policy or procedure to help prevent lawsuits. If you don't know that you are naive.

I wish that major stores would stop taking personal checks, period. It is so annoying when some person from the 20th century starts writing a check. Get a debit card!

Quite honestly, you are right. Or, at least, the people with much more disposable income. Apple's marketshare will never go above a certain point simply because you could go to the Dell Outlet website and get a dual core, 2MB, 320GB with wireless and Bluetooth desktop for $400.

24. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Living under a rock i take it?

25. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Did you even check what is and is not illegal before you posted this cr? stuff?

Walk into a liquor store and try to pay for a pack of gum with a 1000$ bill.

Then can refuse it. Upheld in a court case which I will let you look for.