Apple Still Charging Customers Over $300 for iPhone 7 Microphone Defect Despite Previously Offering Free Repairs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Wow, really? I hadn’t heard that. /s

I’m talking about revenue, profit and other details.

2. miric macrumors member

miric

Charge-free campaign needs charge-free campaign.

3. HacKage macrumors 6502

This is not an OS problem. It is hardware, and requires the U3101 audio IC to be replaced along with a C12 jumper. I know, because the company I work for does them every single day, regardless of OS. If it was an OS issue, a fix could be issued, but it's not.

The only solution is to replace the IC and do the jumper to ensure it doesn't happen again. Apple do not have the ability to do this quickly and at large scale, so they would rather overcharge the customer than admit the real fault which would cause them to be sued.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Legit question: Why, if a hardware issue, does it seem to come to fruition when iOS is updated to 11.3 or higher? I'm genuinely curious b/c I'm on 11.2.x now and hesitant to update.

5. cfountain72 macrumors member

6. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

I wish I could read a post such as this and not agree with it. Or, at least not contemplate that it is completely within the realm of today’s Management at Apple. :apple:

7. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Like touch disease, even if the device is replaced, there is no guarantee this problem won't return down the road. Replacement units are refurbished so it's unlikely the logic board design has been changed.

8. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

9. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Thanks for posting this Mac Rumors, hopefully you nudge this into the light and help get this resolved for the users.

Until then its a really big bummer on the 7's (as in sell it on eBay while they're still worth a good amount). Hopefully the 8's are clean.

10. cfountain72 macrumors member

This is absolute garbage. I recently brought my wife's 7 to our local Apple Store (International Plaza Mall) showing these exact same microphone/speaker symptoms. After some diagnostics by the Genius, I was told that the repair would cost $300+...or they would take it in trade for $250 it in trade for a new iPhone Xr. I assumed it was just the result of an older phone, and might be a warning sign of more issues down the road. She did mention it was related to a recent iOS upgrade, but that it only effected a small number of phones and that, since we were out of warranty, we'd have to pay for the repair if we wanted to keep using this model, or trade it in on a newer one. We chose to pay off the remaining balance and trade it in for the Xr. Had we known about this crap, we would've definitely lobbied to get the repair and keep the 7. Not sure how effective it would be, but I'd encourage anyone else with similar issues to push harder for the 'free' repair.

MacRumors, thanks for the good work here. Just wish I had read this before we went to the store.

Peace be with you.

11. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

Maybe I've just been lucky but I never had a problem with a phone. Whether it was 3 Nokia windows phones or past 3 androids. Even dropped my s9+ on concrete face down. Think the tempered glass protector saved it but still no issues.
    Not so sure iPhones are all they're cracked up to be.

12. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

Apple broke the microphone with their own software, customers need pay the bill? Very greedy!

13. brendu macrumors 68020

This is one area I think its safe to say Steve would have done better. Tim doesn't seem to care about issues like this, rather leaving them to lower executives and employees to deal with. Steve wanted to control everything and would not have made customers pay for an issue his software engineers caused.

14. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

Jeez for the cost of the repair you can buy a decent mid-range Android phone.

15. Digital Dude, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    I guess this is what Tim Cook referred to (in effect) as 'we deeply love our customers' in an earlier interview. While I continue to buy Apple products (Google and MS, still lacking), I don't like the way Apple has transformed into a sub-par retailer, with latent defects and nitpicking warranty issues.

It's a shame, insomuch as exceptional customer service used to be one of the hallmarks that separated Apple from all others'.

16. Preed08 macrumors regular

I had the same exact problem with my wife's 7. It failed exactly 24 months after purchase (right before I made the last payment on it). I also received the info that it was covered for a bit but now I would have to pay $300 for it. Straight BS.
    Would be great if it actually qualified to be traded in, but since it cant make calls, i assume it isnt eligible.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At the Apple Store, I have seen two types of customers
    1) DYIWIA types who get turned down every time.
    2) Nice people who get free out of warranty repairs all the time. Just get a manager to override cost.

If you’re nice to the Genius and they reflect this to the manager most of the time you’ll get the repair done free of charge.

I avoid calling them because you don’t know who you’re talking to and the other person is bound by some sort of rules they can’t break or they’ll get reprimanded.

18. z4co macrumors newbie

z4co

19. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Not incredibly surprising ― how else will Tim Cook eat tonight?

20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

You can't be making maximum profit by giving away things for free. Tim knows how to charge and ensure the money keeps flowing in to keep everyone in the big spaceship campus rich!

21. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

This issue affects hardware running older versions of iOS, not just 11.3. At the time, there were probably audio bugs with older versions of iOS and updating to 11.3 fixed some of those. But if the device had 11.3 and still had audio issues, then it was clear it's the hardware.

22. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

iPhones are one of the most popular phones in the world. So even if a problem exists with a small percentage it will still affect a lot of people. In my case of using them for over 8 years ,never had a issue.

23. TTTedP macrumors member

From what you've seen, is it only affecting 7's? I've been getting told the mic on my X isn't good either (hollow, muffled calls). Wondering if it was more than one gen of phone.

24. m4mario macrumors member

m4mario

I can't believe there are people this dumb at Apple. Who made this decision? This is going to be a class action lawsuit which they will loose. Plus the cost of loss in customer faith is going to be priceless.

25. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

Reading the posts here genuinely makes me sad for humanity. We've developed into such an entitlement country. There is an option to buy extended warranty coverage... which some opt to buy, and some do not. And people apparently seem to think if you opt not to, it's someone else's fault.... and "greed." Everyone else should have to help pay for your choice, in the form of higher prices, right?
    Any electronic product... especially when talking about billions of them... are going to have occasional issues. That is why warranties, and extended warranties, exist. If you decide to take the risk... and not pay to buy the extended warranty... that is your fault. Take responsibility for your own choices.