Apple still considering bringing Siri to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by likemyorbs, Nov 6, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Interesting. They have supposedly been test siri on some employees iphone 4's recently. If this turns out to be true ill be happy. It doesn't surprise me they would release it after the initial launch of the 4S in all countries. That way they still got all the initial orders for the new phone.

LINK

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It can certainly be an option for them do do it. They can (probably) would sell it in the App Store for say $20 or so and make more money.

3. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Apple isn't very good at supporting 'old' products. I expect they want Siri as an inducement to upgrade.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I don't think the 4S got Siri just because it was beta. I believe it was because of the A5 processor, which the 4 doesn't have. I personally don't see Siri coming to the 4 at any point, unfortunately.

6. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Awesome! I would love to have Siri on my iPhone 4. I would have no problems paying for it and hope that they really are seriously considering it.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm not how good your source is. I honestly doubt this since Siri is there best selling point. Jb community might have them thinking but I doubt it will change anything.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Phone sex for the masses...

Brought to you live by face time & Apple...

Maker of iToyz

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Really? The 3GS was released in 2009, and it supports iOS 5. Nearly 2.5 years later. I don't think they will bring Siri to the 4, but it's not because they have a bad track record in supporting older models.

The linked article lacks credibility in my opinion, especially the part about the worry of employees being seen in public using Siri on an iPhone 4. The 4 and 4S look identical; nobody would have any idea you were using Siri on a 4 or 4S.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Than why doesn't the iPad 2 have Siri ? It's got a microphone also? Argument doesn't make sense. iPad 2 has a5 processor and it's clocked at a higher speed than iPhone 4S.

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

12. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Even assuming that this article is accurate, I do believe that this would create a bit of a backlast from *some* 4S owners, who would feel that they would not have bought their phones if they knew that Siri was eventually going to be provided to 4 owners. I would like (but not love) to have Siri on my phone and understand why Apple did not provide this initially (or ever) on the 4.

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think I would probably half-regret my iPhone 4s purchase, since Siri was a big reason to upgrade for me. Though the camera and faster speed were also reasons I would not have paid full price for JUST those two.

Although on the other hand it would be good for all the 4 owners, so I say bring it on. If Apple owns the market on intelligence voice control it will make it that much harder for google to win over converts later.

14. RipsMctits macrumors regular

I don't think Apple's servers could handle it, personally. They can barely handle what they have now.

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Maybe .. but surely much better than Android's, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

16. ryan102 macrumors regular

I'm sure if they can handle millions of iMessages daily + millions downloading iOS updates at the same time running into hundreds of MB's each then a lil voice recognition software isn't a big deal ;).

I'm surprised the articles are reporting it runs better on iPhone 4 than the 4S, wonder what they the 4S is lacking? Bring on Siri so I can use it loads for 2/3days then use it rarely :D

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

If people are having problems with Siri network now, imaging it with iPhone 4 users. YIKES! I hope Apple knows what it is about to get itself into.

18. stevemiller macrumors 65816

as a 4S owner, i WANT them bring siri to the 4/3GS and be reassured that when the next iPhone comes down the pipe, my phone will also be provided any new OS features that it can capably run.

4S owners who complain would be very short-sighted and would no doubt find themselves on the other side of the fence in less than 12 months.

i didn't buy the 4S over the 4 to get an exclusive on siri, i got it to have hardware that can last as long as it feasibly can before becoming bogged down/obsoleted. and i would wish for no less for previous iPhone purchasers.

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

If Apple brings Siri to previous iPhones and iPads AND expands it a bit so that it can look up even more data, it could take a serious chunk out of Google's mobile ad business.

20. rkeato1 macrumors regular

21. Will69 macrumors regular

Siri was rock solid until three days ago. Then crap. What's interesting is that dictation works perfectly, and Siri repeats what I say, but then it says "something is wrong, Will. Would you like to try again?"

My friends report similar complaints. If it's a server overload issue, the Siri is not ready to expand its base by ten times to handle the iPhone 4.

They would first have to fix and overbuild their current server side.

22. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Anandtech's 4S review proved that Siri doesn't use a whole lot of processing power. In reality the 3GS would run it fine.

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

as far data goes Siri uses on average less then 40KB per request So honestly Apple server should be setup to handle that. however I still say since Siri is the biggest thing to most people in the 4S it's not going to happen at least not through Apple.

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Considering the processing is done by Apples servers and not the phone itself, that's utter nonsense.

The hacked version that ran on iPhone 4 ran flawlessly.

----------

Surely the A5, giving better graphics performance and future proofing was worth more than Siri?

25. JCCL macrumors 6502a

It has been demonstrated that Siri can run flawlessly on a 4, as most of the work is being done online by Apple Servers. Siri was hacked to run on an iPhone 4 a few weeks back.