Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Apple, I am very disappointed in you for not making a public statement about this and whether or not a fix action is being worked. Doing so would exhibit “courage” and the intent to do the right thing. It’s not like this was discovered yesterday. It has been almost 3 months.

MacRumors, thank you for being a leader and publishing this article. It’s time for Apple to acknowledge this and your efforts should help.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
That’s extremely disappointing.

Is there any legal action that can be taken?
I don’t see what would be actionable. In any case, I’m sure it’s covered by the terms of service.

It’s crappy of Apple to walk back the functionality in this way but I don’t see how it is illegal.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Is it true what everyone is saying that that iOS 15 has been one of the worst so called upgrades in iOS history?

They focused a lot on features no one was asking for (and in many cases, features that were actively rejected like the Safari redesign) and seem to have let quality control slip pretty badly.

Reactions: AndyBMac

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
They focused a lot on features no one was asking for (and in many cases, features that were actively rejected like the Safari redesign) and seem to have let quality control slip pretty badly.
IMO they should stop with the "major update every year" cycle and just add features when they're ready. Because right now they have boxed themselves into a very specific timeframe for their OS releases that they have to stick to whether they're ready or not. The updates are free anyway, so who really cares? The average user just updates when it pops up on their device, they aren't anxiously awaiting the next macOS or iOS.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
My bet is that these features depend on having a license for some underlying IP and that Apple has been playing chicken with the IP holder, to get a cheap royalty rate, with users trapped in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyBMac and Tres

Nixiiao

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2021
I don't get it, this is not something completely stop blind people from using those features, there is a thing called VoiceOver. Siri is not the only way, they can just turn on VoiceOver, use it to open Phone app, navigate to voicemail and listen to them.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just another reason to never update an iPhone to the next version of iOS until you have to in August at the least. Of course everyone who buys a new iPhone is screwed because the new version comes preinstalled on the phone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would rather blame their so-called “courage” that clearly works as a double-edge sword to go favour or against them depending on the situation.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Is this a joke? Ffs what's happened to Apple? What happened to the company that actively cared and courted people with disabilities? That courted true pros?

Oh wait. August 24th 2011. The day the bean counters took over.

Reactions: TMax

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
It is really bad that Apple hasn't even addressed this in any way.
How would they address it? Maybe they’ve been working on a fix but we don’t know about it. I agree they should address it, but how would they communicate this? Maybe they need a PR person that communicates the progress of fixes, blog-style? I’m sure they prioritize these bug fixes, but the accessibility team has got to have some voice. Not sure how it works in a large company.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
If I recall correctly Apple announced on iOS 15 that Siri requests would be handled on iPhones themselves (rather than relaying them back/forth from Apples’s servers). I believe this is when Siri became even more unusable. It’s really sickening to read about them dropping, what were, supported accessibility features. This should be headline news rather than the daily lawsuits/investigations into Apple.

kross515

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2021
Let's also remember the fact that Siri can't read you reminders back too you. If you depend on speech for communicating Siri won't read your reminders back to you, just a sound and showing the reminder on the screen. My spouse would love to use Siri for reminders, but needs them spoken back to here when it's time, not displayed on a screen. Apple is definitely dropping the ball on accessibilty.

Reactions: Artemis70 and TMax

fmillion

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
As a member of the blind/low vision community myself, I've already seen two distinct reactions. Thankfully, the much more minority reaction is along the lines of "just use VoiceOver and open the phone app, this is obviously for your security."

To be fair, I have to imagine that whether this was intentional or not, it likely does have to do with new security isolation in iOS. I could even possibly imagine it was intentional, with the justification being the very argument made above - "as long as there's a way to do it without vision, even if sub-optimal or outright ridiculous, it's accessible" (an argument I've dealt with countless times in my work in the tech industry). Apple definitely has shifted a lot of their focus to security, especially with the whole app store lawsuit issue, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're tripling down on the secure OS idea (so as to make their argument against sideloading stronger) while simultaneously allowing some issues to be de-prioritized or even have features outright pulled in the name of that security.

The issue is that accessibility and security are naturally at odds. Accessibility is designed to, well, give you access to things; security is designed to protect things from (undesired) access. Google has had issues with apps misusing the Android accessibility APIs for malware purposes, and they've hugely struggled with how to balance those two needs. Given that there are also some legitimate apps that use the accessibility APIs (macro engines, password managers, etc.) apps asking for accessibility permission is unfortunately not uncommon, so it's still a method of infiltrating a device. Of course I'm going to be biased as an accessibility advocate and a savvy user who knows how to protect himself online, but I can still acknowledge the challenges of building something that is actually secure. ("As soon as you offer an option to override security, malware scam callers will instruct un-savvy people to turn on that option...")

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I have turned off Siri on all devices (iPhone, Watch, iPads and Macs) years ago. Apple just doesn't care and it's one of their worst products. Considering how old Siri is it has barely improved at all.

I periodically give it another chance when I get a new device, but always always turn it off after a while again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.