Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
If I needed Siri to access my phone due to sight challenges and Apple axed it I would move to an Android phone. Hate to say it but there’s no other option. Jeez.

mozzo

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
Thank you macrumors for brining this up. It is really annoying and should not ne that gar to fix.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
So short-sighted (no pun intended). Apple's always going on and on about accessibility, so this really flies in the face of that.

Ugh, sometimes Apple (the company as a whole) reminds me of a child jumping around, randomly focusing on one thing at a time, impulsively, and without reason. Throwing toys right and left. No structure, no plan. Just kind of going with their mood. One day it's all about the Mac, the next it's all about the (rumored) Car, then it's all about homeOS. Hard to predict.

This kind of behavior was fine and even fun in the 2000s, but today, it's just gotten old. Apple needs to slow the eff down, really sit down, work through all their bugs, figure out a cohesive software and hardware plan, and just LISTEN. Focus on fixing up current software issues and creating a stable foundation, then add features.

I guess I'm just annoyed with Apple right now because of this article, but seriously... this is a basic thing they missed. I feel terrible for blind/low vision users, they suffer as much as it is already.
You nailed it.

You can see the entire build quality of iOS has been on a downhill slide since roughly iOS 9 or 10. They definitely have a "new kids on the block" vibe with the designers and developers.

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014

With the launch of iOS 15, Apple changed Siri functionality and removed features that were heavily relied on by low vision and blind iPhone users. Siri commands that provide details on phone calls, voice mails, and sending emails are no longer working, and Apple has yet to fix the issue.

siri-glow.png

We first shared details on this problem in September, shortly after the launch of iOS 15. Prior to the launch of the update, low vision users were able to ask Siri to play voicemails, check call history, check recent calls, and more, commands that no longer work.

We have received ongoing complaints from ‌iPhone‌ users who are missing this key ‌Siri‌ functionality, or their relatives who are attempting to help them navigate the changes. The ‌Siri‌ feature removals have also been documented on the AppleVis forums for blind and low vision users of Apple products, and complaints have continued to pile up on the Apple Support Communities. One user explains the issue:Asking Siri to provide details on recent phone calls or voicemails now results in the following response: "I can't help with that, but you can ask me to open the Phone app." Asking about email results in a similar response about ‌Siri‌ being unable to help.

MacRumors reader Joshua got in touch with us and explained that the change makes the iPhone almost unusable for his mother, and he's frustrated with Apple's lack of help.Joshua got in contact with Accessibility Support and received a non-answer about calling in to be added to the official engineering report as an "affected user" and to fill out Feedback Assistant, but he said he previously submitted a Radar and got no response. Other users on the Apple Support Communities are becoming increasingly upset with Apple. From user Maboc:We asked Apple when a fix might be coming or if the removal of the Siri functionality was intentional back in September, but we never heard back. Apple's lack of effort to address this issue for blind and low vision users is disappointing from a company that is usually on the forefront of accessibility.

Article Link: Apple Still Hasn't Fixed Siri Issue That Nixed Call, Email, and Voicemail Features Used by Low Vision and Blind Users
Since its launch, I have never used Siri and will not.

trlblzr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Not just the accessibility stuff... they killed off other things that were very useful too. As a fer'instance... we have a shared grocery list in Notes, and used to tell Siri to add such-and-such to our note Groceries, and it was done. Now, Siri is dumb and can't do anything like that. Sooooooo very frustrating. Now I have to unlock, open Notes, type everything out manually.

Oh, and after the change, it affected 14.8 also. I had upgraded to 15, wife was still on 14.8. She started getting the same "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that" messages. (Maybe with a little less psycho...)

Reactions: Artemis70

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I just don’t understand what would motivate Apple to remove features that already existed.
Apple is all about fashion and pizazz. What makes the keynote. Not the mundane stuff that makes a good product for all. Apple's target demographic is teenagers and twenty somethings with too much of their parents money on hand.

Unlike the Windows infrastructure, Apple focused Apps have to be continually upgraded to keep up with the changing APIs in the OS. Most Apps written two years ago will not run on Apple current OS. In windows I have used 20 year old apps with no problem. Different mindset. Apple just does not care what happened in the past, does not care about compatibility, and does not care about fringe users (unless there is some political points to be gained).

They probably removed it because they broke it with API changes and did not want to invest the time to fix it. That functionality will no longer feature in keynote, so no need for more resources that take away from the CEOs millions in compensation. The simple answer is that Cook needs his more than others need this functionality.

Reactions: scotty321

macwant

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
I have two HomePods and a good number of HomeKit accessories. It's been a frustrating experience.

Could have just said "Apple Still Hasn't Fixed Siri."

Reactions: AndyBMac

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Maybe it has something to do with security…. Just giving weak excuses here…..

It’s unconscionable that this hasn’t been fixed yet.

AndyBMac

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2021

With the launch of iOS 15, Apple changed Siri functionality and removed features that were heavily relied on by low vision and blind iPhone users. Siri commands that provide details on phone calls, voice mails, and sending emails are no longer working, and Apple has yet to fix the issue.

siri-glow.png

We first shared details on this problem in September, shortly after the launch of iOS 15. Prior to the launch of the update, low vision users were able to ask Siri to play voicemails, check call history, check recent calls, and more, commands that no longer work.

We have received ongoing complaints from ‌iPhone‌ users who are missing this key ‌Siri‌ functionality, or their relatives who are attempting to help them navigate the changes. The ‌Siri‌ feature removals have also been documented on the AppleVis forums for blind and low vision users of Apple products, and complaints have continued to pile up on the Apple Support Communities. One user explains the issue:Asking Siri to provide details on recent phone calls or voicemails now results in the following response: "I can't help with that, but you can ask me to open the Phone app." Asking about email results in a similar response about ‌Siri‌ being unable to help.

MacRumors reader Joshua got in touch with us and explained that the change makes the iPhone almost unusable for his mother, and he's frustrated with Apple's lack of help.Joshua got in contact with Accessibility Support and received a non-answer about calling in to be added to the official engineering report as an "affected user" and to fill out Feedback Assistant, but he said he previously submitted a Radar and got no response. Other users on the Apple Support Communities are becoming increasingly upset with Apple. From user Maboc:We asked Apple when a fix might be coming or if the removal of the Siri functionality was intentional back in September, but we never heard back. Apple's lack of effort to address this issue for blind and low vision users is disappointing from a company that is usually on the forefront of accessibility.

Update: It appears that Apple is going to be addressing these Siri issues in the iOS 15.2 update, which is available to developers and public beta testers at this time. In iOS 15.2, the missing call, email, and voicemail Siri features have been reintroduced and are functional.

Article Link: Apple Still Hasn't Fixed Siri Issue That Nixed Call, Email, and Voicemail Features Used by Low Vision and Blind Users [Updated]
Great update MR thanks I hope it fixes HomeKit as well!

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
Is it true what everyone is saying that that iOS 15 has been one of the worst so called upgrades in iOS history?
I would say it is true. I was pretty upset with iOS 13, iOS 14 was slightly less worse for me, but iOS 15 has taken the first place in bug-infested software, at least for my use cases. The problem I have is that so many functions behave erratic. Things will work one minute and not the next.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
By this time Apple should deprecate Siri as its so bad compared to the competition its reaching a Bixbi level.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
Adding things to individual notes with Siri has been broken in iOS 15 since launch.

Siri is abysmal. If Steve were alive, Siri would be leading the pack, and Apple Maps would have never gotten released until it was ready. If it was broken (as it was in iOS 6), it would have been fixed within a couple years.

Cook has done a good job with Apple, but there's no one at the top to throw a sociopathic tantrum and scream at people to fix things or be burned alive. I wonder if someone like Hairforce One could take Apple back to its perfectionistic ways...

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Apple needs Wozniak around. He is a fan of Siri, and has a user bias. He's ethical too. Obviously, he's not a contemporary business person.

Apple needs a Quality approval team, a small team, to verify that new versions work. Such a team would have to be independent of Apple, although paid by them.

I've a relation who approves high speed trains, and although he is paid by the manufacturer - a very huge company - he is independent of them. Without his approval a high speed train or a number of them, doesn't happen.

Last edited:

KermitPDX

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
FIXED: Apple came out with iOS 15.2 and Siri functions are returned.
HOW: Even if automatic updating in selected it is not automatically updating. So go to Setting, General, Software update. Request to update to IOS 15.2. Be sure your phone is connected to Wi-Fi and plugged in. Can take up to 30-60 minutes.

marinewonder

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
Hello,

I really need to get to the bottom of this.

I had purchased an Ipad Mini 5 WIFI that already came with IOS15, and it would not allow me to make VOIP calls over 3rd party apps (such as LINE). It would give the common error described here that Siri can't help me do that on this Ipad.

But I have an older Ipad Mini 2 WIFI with IOS 12 that does allow Siri to do it.

The problem is that The Ipad Mini 2 does not seem to respond to completely hands-free Siri, I must press the Home button for it to respond.

This is utterly frustrating as I bought it for a visually impaired adult that needed a replacement.

To top it off, my wife with Iphone and IOS 15 CAN use VOIP apps hands-free to call.

So my thoughts are, if its a WIFI-LTE Ipad, it may work with IOS15, but I'm not sure if it requires the LTE SIM with an active cellular service for Siri to see it as a "calling" device and allow VOIP?

It's really confusing what the real limiting factor is here with the facts I stated above.

1) Can anyone with Ipad Mini WIFI newer prior to IOS 15 (e.g. 12, 13, 14) confirm you can do completely free hands-free calls over a VOIP app like LINE or Skype?

2) Can anyone with Ipad mini WIFI-LTE on IOS 15 confirm you can do a VOIP app call by voice command?

Appreciate any help.

MarineW

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I just don’t understand what would motivate Apple to remove features that already existed.
Accessibility isn't one of Apple's main ideals. (which ticks me off more than any other aspect of Apple's arrogance) A product manager probably nixed it because they didn't want to waste time on making sure it worked.

• Sad
Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.