Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm IDC has released the results of its survey of worldwide smartphone sales for the fourth quarter of 2010, finding Apple holding onto the same second-place ranking it earned last quarter as the top manufacturers see their shares decline slightly as small vendors ride the Android wave to greater sales.

135929-idc_4Q10_smartphones.jpg

Worldwide Smartphone Sales in 4Q10 in Millions of Units (Source: IDC)
According to the results, Apple's 16.1% share of the smartphone market in the fourth quarter trailed only Nokia's 28.0% share and came in solidly ahead of Research in Motion and its 14.5% share. Apple's share dipped slightly from the 17.4% share it held in the previous quarter, and came in on par with the same 16.1% share the company held in the fourth quarter of 2009.
Apple's iPhone gained more ground in the worldwide smartphone market, with shipment volume growth coming from Asia/Pacific and Japan. In addition, Apple made further inroads into the enterprise market, with more companies adding Apple to their approved smartphone list and increased development of corporate-centered applications. Rumors of an iPhone 5 have begun to heat up the blogosphere, with many expecting a new design and perhaps a mobile wallet.
Consequently, Apple's 86.2% year-over-year growth essentially mirrored the smartphone industry's overall growth rate of 87.2%, with major players Nokia and Research in Motion checking in at only 36% growth while Android-focused manufacturers such as Samsung (438.9%) and HTC (258.3%) saw tremendous growth in market share, but not enough to overtake the three leaders. Total smartphone sales topped 100 million in the quarter for the first time in history.

135929-idc_2010_smartphones.jpg

Worldwide Smartphone Sales in 2010 in Millions of Units (Source: IDC)
In looking at full-year results for 2010, Research in Motion edged out Apple by a margin of 16.1% to 15.7%, although the gap was much smaller than the 5.4 percentage point difference seen in 2009.

Article Link: Apple Still Holding Second Place Among Global Smartphone Manufacturers

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I'd love to see this a quarter from now after it has had time to reflect Verizon sales.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Big change for Samsung and HTC... looks like they were out of the race before Android came around.

But... they have a long way to go to catch Apple. RIM and Nokia seem to be the ones loosing ground if the overall growth rate is at 86% and they only grew 35% (or about).

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Lol...anyone recall when Steve Jobs unveiled the very first iphone, he said his hope was to sell 10 million units by the end of 2008 or something like that? They clearly aimed waaaay too low.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
RIM is going to take over baby!!!

A Blackberry in every hand! Or is that supposed to be an iPhone in every hand?

I wonder if every Corporation dropped RIM tomorrow, what their numbers would look like just in the hands of average consumers? I know 2 people that own a Blackberry for personal use that it isn't their "work" Blackberry. They are always asking me to do stuff on my iPhone for them.

TilWink

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

gnasher729 said:
Apple's 4Q 09 market share looks very, very wrong to me.

You beat me to it.

rbgaynor

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Southern California
Lol...anyone recall when Steve Jobs unveiled the very first iphone, he said his hope was to sell 10 million units by the end of 2008 or something like that? They clearly aimed waaaay too low.

They did 11.6 million phones in fiscal 2008, a bit more than that in calendar 2008 - so the 10 million number isn't all that far off.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Android-focused manufacturers such as Samsung (438.9%) and HTC (258.3%) saw tremendous growth in market share, but not enough to overtake the three leaders.

The Android market is divided between Samsung, HTC and others (Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc) who are competing with each other and sometimes themselves (How many different DROIDs are there Moto?)

If we Android was a single entry on this list it would be more impressive (but it's a hardware list, not software...)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The Android market is divided between Samsung, HTC and others (Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc) who are competing with each other and sometimes themselves (How many different DROIDs are there Moto?)

If we Android was a single entry on this list it would be more impressive (but it's a hardware list, not software...)

That would look something like this...

canalys-110131.gif

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

In a round about way, you hit the nail on the head as to why the iPhone remains easy to single out. With Android based phones it's a very diluted market. Lots of hit and miss choices and price points. Although this gets numbers (like what other choices do Motorola and Samsung have? Windows7 Mobile?)... it makes it so you're in a "me too" market.

Not slamming Android, but from a market positioning standpoint, it makes the job easier on Apple to keep it's product positioned as the number 1 single selling smart phone. RIM can't seem to recover this.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Jesus that's impressive, could Android really have grown by 600% in one year?

I can't see Nokia maintaining that share, Android and Apple may well erode that.

Why not? It's the best iOS alternative after they all (HTC, Samsung, Moto) failed miserably trying to do their own after the iPhone 1 release and it has the magic price of "free".

BTW... poor little MS down there at 3.1 Million units. At least they beat "Other"! LOL!

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Just add this to the obit for The Death of Apples Control of the Mobile Space.

They have literally given the space to Google / Android.

Sure, its all big profits now..... but there are tough times ahead.

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Meaningless ...

This is meaningless and literally compares one Apple to multiple Oranges.

Apple does this with a single phone.

Nokia requires multiple "smart" phones and multiple operating systems to maintain its lead.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
This is meaningless and literally compares one Apple to multiple Oranges.

Apple does this with a single phone.

Nokia requires multiple "smart" phones and multiple operating systems to maintain its lead.

It's just telling you which manufacturer sells the most smartphones.

It's Apple's choice to only sell 3 models just as it's Nokia's way to sell lots of different models. Apple takes the largest share of the profits from this market so I'm sure they won't mind sitting at No2 in the charts. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.