Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
My battery is draining fast at 800 plus cycles...any time now it's kicking the bucket.

d'oh missed the replacement window back in 2017. any recent experiences on battery+top case replacement at Genius bars? free replacements anyone or average timeframe to get replacement done if in stock?

also any experiences with DIY route
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...vFyeksHmKAhvdneqhq2f5ebKw_VRa8jkaAijdEALw_wcB <sigh why the commercial grade glue Apple?>

I'm in the same boat and also interested to hear!

The rubber lining around the screen of my 2012 rMBP is peeling off. Also curious whether the "staingate" warranty extension is still in effect and whether this would qualify.

arsen32

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Took my MBPr early 2013 back in today after getting on the list in early December and checking multiple times with status being keep waiting. So I made a genius bar appointment and explained I had waited patiently and I needed a new battery. They agreed and will be working on my machine to add a new battery and top mount with speakers, trackpad, keyboard as the battery is attached to this part. Then they also listened to my screen issues and added a new display to the order. No charge on the service. Should get it back in about a week.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Took my MBPr early 2013 back in today after getting on the list in early December and checking multiple times with status being keep waiting. So I made a genius bar appointment and explained I had waited patiently and I needed a new battery. They agreed and will be working on my machine to add a new battery and top mount with speakers, trackpad, keyboard as the battery is attached to this part. Then they also listened to my screen issues and added a new display to the order. No charge on the service. Should get it back in about a week.

Why is there no charge for all those parts?

arsen32

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Why is there no charge for all those parts?

I brought my computer in in December during the battery replacement program. The battery status in menu and in System Report both said Service Battery. The top case and pieces are all a part of that return. My display has some adhesive issues so they honored that replacement program as well.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
I brought my computer in in December during the battery replacement program. The battery status in menu and in System Report both said Service Battery. The top case and pieces are all a part of that return. My display has some adhesive issues so they honored that replacement program as well.

Interesting. Congrats on all the free repairs.

Did you get the sense they were still constrained on the battery and were making an exception for you because you had been waiting so long? I have a 2012 with "Service Battery" and I also have some display issues (the rubber black border is peeling and I have several stuck pixels). They are not super critical but I wouldn't mind getting those replaced for free.

Cide

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2022
Edmonton, AB
Is this battery replacement warranty process still available? I have a Mid-2012 rMBP which has 175 battery cycles which is telling me "Service Battery". According to the Serial Number checker, it says my unit is not eligible because it was already repaired?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I think these units are EOL regardless, so getting apple to do anything either extended warranty replacement or even just PAID warranty replacement is probably not happening.. one CAN do it themselves and at this point the battery AND The keyboard module - which come together making it easier and more reliable as a procedure, are pretty cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.