Apple Still Offering Free Delayed Battery Repairs for Some 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 13, 2017.

1. rgilld macrumors newbie

rgilld

Maybe their pricing has changed. Plus they charge for labour??? My authorization shows
    (1) Item 661-6532 Top Case Assembly with Battery $519
    (2) S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labour $109.

My repair is covered by them because I took it in before Nov 15th. So I didn't argue about the cost. But strange that the price is higher and they charge for labour.

2. keenkreations macrumors regular

Went back and followed up with battery/top case replacement. Genius said had to order it in, and this was on the 15 of November. Awaiting a phone call when the part comes in. Had to remind them that the repair was free, as per the notes written down from my last visit.
    It looks like the supplies are still constrained anyway.

3. Macalicious2011, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

I'm taking mine in to an Apple store in London tomorrow and will report back about how it went.

4. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

I took my 2012 rMBP in today.

The genius verified my eligibility to pay £0 instead of £400 by taking details from my appointment in October. It took her 15min at the back to generate a customer satifaction code to complete the “free” order. The top case assembly with assembly was not in stock at the store and will be ordered in.

I will be called in 3-5 days.

5. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

I just called the store and was told the part is constrained, has not come in yet and work has not started on the laptop yet. The estimate is now 1 month!

Basically my laptop could be with the Apple store for almost the whole of December. Yikes!

6. clutchm3 macrumors 6502

clutchm3

Took my Late 2013 rMBP for battery replacement. Was not able to get them to cover it for free, whatever I left with them for a week to repair for $199. They call me back today, when it was estimated to be picked up and say they need to order a certain screw that they do not have in stock. ONE SCREW...Extending my repair to up to 2 weeks! That is crazy, can I complain somehow and get my money back? Any tips?

7. rgilld macrumors newbie

rgilld

My repair was completed. Took a total of 6 days.

8. SneakyMonkey, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

SneakyMonkey macrumors newbie

SneakyMonkey

I took my MBPr (Mid 2012) to the Apple Store on October to have the battery replaced. Cool Dude at the Genius Bar told me they had the battery in stock but if I waited until mid November I can have it replaced for free. My notebook also had some other issues as well, so the dude recommend replacing the battery by sending it to the repair depot. He told me for a flat rate they'll fix all issues they find on my notebook. He told me if I wait it'll be free, so I took the offer.

Went back to the Apple Store November 15 to drop off my notebook. It took 15 days to have it repaired. I just got it back yesterday and it looks brand new. They replaced the top case, bottom case, display, ssd and left/right speakers. When I went to pick it up, guy at the Genius Bar congratulated me. He told me I basically won the lottery because the guy who setup the order wasn't aware the flat rate offer already ended. Guy told me everything is good and since it wasn't my fault I didn't have to pay for anything.

9. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Lucky you. I picked mine up yesterday and they only replaced the top case and the left fan. They could at least have replaced two missing bottom feet. Needless to say I'm delighted with the free upgrade, the keyboard and top case feels like new and it's a joy to one see one battery cycle in the systems report. :D

10. mattv99 macrumors newbie

Was there any problem with the left fan, did you complain about it? I missed my appointment in November, will have to get another one before Christmas for the battery replacement and I would love to get new fans at a reasonable price - mine get noisy all the time...

11. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

On collection they just told me that my left fan was noisy and that they replaced it. I didn't know it was faulty. Only when using chrome was my laptop noisy.

12. Cg2018, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

Cg2018 macrumors newbie

Cg2018

I have a mid 2012. A thunderbolt port stopped working and they changed the motherboard in 2015, in 2016 I had an issue with the screen and they changed the screen. Now after 5 years my battery is in 50%. Yes I would've wanted a new computer...but they are gonna change the battery for free in 2 months....best brand guarantees ever...

13. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

A week after being collected my 2012 rMPB has developed a clunk and clicking noise when moved from side to side. It sounds like a large component is rocking loose from side to side. The laptop did not make these noises previously and was solid as a brick.

Having lurked the web, I have discovered that some 2015 owners have experienced a similar issue. Given that I only have 90 days post repair service I'll give the Apple Store a call tomorrow and see what they say as it doesn't sound good at all.

14. mattv99 macrumors newbie

I just checked mine - same thing... After unscrewing bottom case I can only guess that the sound comes from the speaker area on each side. I had no idea of this thing or never paid attention. Next week I am finally going to leave my laptop for the battery replacement, so I could mention this.

15. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. In addition to something large rocking left to right, I also hear a smaller object rocking in the top right corner of the bottom case. Both can be heard and felt anytime I carry the laptop on its side from room tomorrow.

I have an appointment booked on Saturday and will give you all an update.

16. BoyD1951 macrumors newbie

BoyD1951

Cheers...

Please kindly update if you got it already. Thank you.

17. DrF8 macrumors newbie

FYI, I was one of the lucky ones to have my mid-2012 MBP repaired for free because I was willing to wait a month. It was actually much more than that, due to the continued constrained supply of the parts.

I first took it in Oct. 24th, got word the part was ready to be installed on Dec. 12th, took it in on the 14th and picked it up (!) on the 16th. It's only been a few days, but so far, so good.

FYI, the initial work order and invoice came up at $199, but when reminded to check about my "arrangement" the store promptly changed that to $0.

I'm happy, but I'm curious about these rattling/clicking/clunking sounds you guys have mentioned, so I'll be sure to keep an eye on it! Good luck!

18. keenkreations macrumors regular

Brought in my 2012 MBPr in mid-October, they said they could repair it in December. Sent to repair depot via Apple Store around December 6. Depot calls me a few days later to tell me that they still don't have the part available to replace it (probably cause a lot of people are doing the same thing we are doing). I decide to have it shipped back to me while we wait for the part to be available (which Apple guesses around mid-January).

The saga continues. Hopefully I'll have a battery and top case soon enough.

19. arsen32 macrumors newbie

I made a genius bar appointment and went in at the beginning of December for my early 2013 MBPr 15 inch. I was given the option for a delayed repair for free as well. I should get a new battery in February. Completely worth the wait. Great customer service.

20. msingh7 macrumors newbie

I just took my mid 2012 retina into a store yesterday for repair. They also said that the parts are constrained and there is no time table to have them in stock right now. they gave me 2 options: 1) Wait until the parts come in and have the service done for free, 2) Trade in the laptop for a credit of $750 towards a new 15 inch retina. I opted for the free battery but based on some of the above replies, not sure how long this process will really take.

I tried to chat and call apple about this, but the most they said was to wait at least 2 weeks and then maybe call back the store and see if there are any other options for me.

21. mattv99 macrumors newbie

Yesterday I finally picked up my MBP with a new battery (and top case). I left it at Apple Store on Wednesday before Christmas and week later, on Wednesday evening I got an email that it's ready. I mentioned some noises of fans and this sound when shaking the laptop from side to side but they didn't do anything about it. Also I got International English keyboard compared to English US I had before - I don't know if that's what was available or if Genius had only this choice when selecting the replacement top case. It's not that bad. I am happy to have it back finally and hopefully it will work well till next MBR redesign.

Here is the most interesting part for me - in the app for checking battery health I got 98% with 0 cycles and... date of manufacturing January 19th 2017 - I thought that if there is constant shortage for last 8-9 months, I will get something more fresh.

22. CamiMR macrumors 6502

CamiMR

Just took my mid 2012 retina (battery condition 81.7% on their diagnostics) to an Apple Store in the U.K., they confirmed the battery shortage, estimated (but not confirmed) date of availability February 2018. Options were leave the laptop until battery becomes available, try again later in the year, or a £500 discount off the baseline non-touchbar for sale now. That would still be roughly £1,300 for a new laptop, with 256 ssd instead of my 756.
    Thanks, but no thanks! Was then suggested a call to Apple Care, who might be able to do something else.
    Will do that this coming week and see what they have to say...

23. keenkreations macrumors regular

Just got back my MacBook Pro Retina a couple of days ago...and this new battery and top case makes it feel like a brand new computer! I was called to drop it off mid-week last week, and I ended up getting it turned around in 3 days, so i was able to pick up on Saturday.
    I looked over the repair invoice and noticed that Apple also replaced the logic board for free (probably due to the video chipset recall from many many years ago. Didn't fail the test at the time to get a replacement, but I guess it failed this time at the repair depot).
    I am over the moon, since a $700+ repair for a 5 year old laptop was basically free. Very nice and awesome.

24. dirtybirdy36 macrumors newbie

Ive tried to get a replacement battery since october. Still waiting!!!!!!

25. Mr.Manzana macrumors newbie

My battery is draining fast at 800 plus cycles...any time now it's kicking the bucket.

d'oh missed the replacement window back in 2017. any recent experiences on battery+top case replacement at Genius bars? free replacements anyone or average timeframe to get replacement done if in stock?

also any experiences with DIY route
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...vFyeksHmKAhvdneqhq2f5ebKw_VRa8jkaAijdEALw_wcB <sigh why the commercial grade glue Apple?>