Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byulasfjazz

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
why?

I dont think apple is ready for that yet... If the Ipod has a camera,... then who needs the Iphone? Besides service on the road ... They would be the same device...

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
They would have no right at all to be angery!

Boy is there going to be a lot of angry people if they plan to launch a camera version this year. Would be sensible to launch it in their next yearly revision.

Each buyer is free to make the decision to buy the current Touch and thus have no right to complain about what is in future models. If Apple can pull it off the thing to do would be to introduce the camera model a week or two before Thanksgiving. That would certainly stimulate the holiday sales. That is two and a half months from now.

I would be very interested to know exactly what the defect was. Considering that the current nano camera only does video I wonder if high resolution pic quality was crappy. They may be expecting to much from such a tiny device.

Dave

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I dont think apple is ready for that yet... If the Ipod has a camera,... then who needs the Iphone? Besides service on the road ... They would be the same device...

Yes, I am going to take my iPod touch and make calls when I head up to New Jersey this weekend. Hope I don't get lost.

An iPod having a cellphone and NOT having one is not a small difference.

People in cellphone markets aren't saying "Well since the iPod Touch has a camera, I will just get a crappy Nokia and an iPod Touch. And I will definitely ALWAYS carry both devices and make sure both are charged and ready. That won't be annoying at all, keeping track of two separate devices"

iPhone is king is because it's the utlimate all in one cellphone. Nothing else. When my contract is up, I will be getting m first iPhone. If I want a wifi media player, I'll get an iPod Touch.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I see this comment all the time and it is still BS.

The little bit of extra tech in the iPhone makes a huge difference in how the devices are used. A camera placed in the Touch doesn't even come close to making it an iPhone. That cell capability is huge. On top of that there are significant differences in battery life.

What would be funny though is if the defect they found was later traced down to somebodies finger on front of the lens.

Dave

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Maybe they had them already in production, but there was a last minute design problem (which was rumored) so they had to pull it. I can't imagine Apple INTENTIONALLY giving a video/picture camera to the iPod Nano, and not the iPod Touch. This to me seems like a 'time to market / production issue' that they are covering up and plan to fix for the next version.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I highly doubt that they will release a new iPod Touch with a camera in the immediate future. I would think that would have to wait until the next rev, otherwise they'll have a mob of early adopters with pitchforks :p

they did it with the 13 inch aluminum mac -> to 13 inch "mac pro"

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I think they planned it, but realized that it's a smarter business move to wait on the camera. They will sell plenty of Touches with the new lower prices and improved capacity and then when a camera comes those people will want to upgrade again.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Each buyer is free to make the decision to buy the current Touch and thus have no right to complain about what is in future models.

But if Apple plays this trick too often, people aren't going to buy anymore of their products, because they think they will be screwed again. I am planning on buying the new touch, and I know I don't have the right to complain, but sure as hell I will if they introduce an iPod touch with camera anytime soon. Apple wants to keep their customers, and a bunch of complaining customers ain't helping...

And I'm only talking about 'soon', which to me is before February.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
If Apple can pull it off the thing to do would be to introduce the camera model a week or two before Thanksgiving. That would certainly stimulate the holiday sales.

From a business POV - it simply doesn't make sense introducing one this quickly. Not a chance.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
technically jobs wasn't lying he said he wanted to drive the cost down... well, fixing production and design problems costs a lot of money.. there would be no way they could allocate the expense and lower the cost of the device...

design flaws are costly to fix especially when under the gun for a release deadline!

the difference is, a company like microsoft would just release the buggy device and just pray they could fix it with software updates... either that or it could be the next xbox! hehe .. ok im done

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
If apple seriously is coming out with a future update for the iPod touch with camera, I'll just wait for that one!

Or.... I'm going to get the iPhone 3G S

I'm waiting til' next year until i can actually upgrade to a iPhone 3g s.
It's either that or the sony ericsson w905 with the 8 MP camera. but iPhone still wins on my mind.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2009
Guys, this is what you don't understand. When you buy, your buying what's on offer at the time because you want whats on offer. If they come out with a camera tomorrow, then you can't complain, because you obviously didn't want a camera and was happy with what they were selling at the time. I'm getting an iPod Touch 3G, I'll be happy with it, and when an iPod Touch with a camera comes out, then I'll buy it. If you can't afford upgrading, wait until the iPod Touch has all the features you want.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I highly doubt they will add a camera before Feb/March of next year.
I think there were probably a combination of issues that made them not go with a camera.

Although the quality of the camera in the nano is decent, I think a item like the touch should have the ability to take decent still photos. I think if it was just production problems then Apple would have just delayed shipment, if they really wanted to add it.

People would have complained how crappy the camera was if it was the quality of the nano's on the iPod Touch.

Sadly, I'm not really in the market for an iPod anymore because I have an iPhone. Although I must admit, the new Nanos look really good.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I highly doubt they will add a camera before Feb/March of next year.
I think there were probably a combination of issues that made them not go with a camera.

Although the quality of the camera in the nano is decent, I think a item like the touch should have the ability to take decent still photos. I think if it was just production problems then Apple would have just delayed shipment, if they really wanted to add it.

I agree on your dates.

I would guess they wanted to put a better camera in the touch than the nano (i.e. stills) and they couldn't get one small enough that met Steve's requirements.

Greg

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
they did it with the 13 inch aluminum mac -> to 13 inch "mac pro"

The aluminum MacBook had a product life of 8 months though. If they're talking about the immediate future, that would mean that the current 3rd gen iPod Touch had a product life of much less than that.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I really hope you read what you have written because you might want to trim it a bit.

But if Apple plays this trick too often, people aren't going to buy anymore of their products, because they think they will be screwed again.
I'm really hoping you reconsider what you have written above because it places you in a marginal category. I don't often like being that blunt but my god are you so ignorant that you think it is reasonable to call this a trick? That really is a question I hope you will answer in this forum.

Every indication publically available and confirmed with the most recent pictures of the new Touches internals, indicates this was a last minute decision. The pics support the idea that production problems resulted in the camera being pulled after post production testing indicated problems.

Further this so called trick could easily have sunk lesser companies as it invalidates a great deal of engineering effort, marketing development and other support costs. This little problem will have likely cost Apple a big chunk of change.

I am planning on buying the new touch, and I know I don't have the right to complain, but sure as hell I will if they introduce an iPod touch with camera anytime soon.
Go ahead but don't expect any support what so ever from most of the forum members here. The evidence is as plain as day and if you can't deal with it that is totally your problem. If you can't see the future with respect to a camera in the Touch then take off your blinders.
Apple wants to keep their customers, and a bunch of complaining customers ain't helping...
Then ****! Your postings are complete garbage. For one you haven't even purchased the current model yet but you are complaining up front about one coming down the road with a camera in it. Frankly Apple doesn't need "customers" like you that are petty and immature. So go to MS and buy a Zune and see how well that is supported.
And I'm only talking about 'soon', which to me is before February.

Please go pound salt for a bit and clear your mind. It is obvious at this point the Touch was meant to have a camera. The best thing Apple can do is to get that feature into a production model as soon as possible. Ideally within a couple of months. The problem now is that people will be expecting that camera and a lot of sales will go on hold.

I'm not trying to sell the idea that one should wait for a camera built into the Touch here just that some will. Rather what I'm getting at is that you make a decision to buy based on info available at the time. It is clear now that iPhone had a camera destined for it's internals so buy smart and don't complain.

Dave

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Appppple could sell the current Touches for a long time without a camera.

The aluminum MacBook had a product life of 8 months though. If they're talking about the immediate future, that would mean that the current 3rd gen iPod Touch had a product life of much less than that.

I could see one or more of the current Touches remaining on sale for a long while. The reality is many of Apples customers really don't care one way or the other. If it can be sold a few bucks cheaper people will go for it.

Well except for those that like to complain. I can see people now complaining about how confused they are with Apples product line up if that where to happen.

Dave

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
The problem now is that people will be expecting that camera and a lot of sales will go on hold.

Only the hardcore 'geeks' on such forum sites will hold back in buying from - the average joe wouldn't have a scooby when and if the touch is going to get the camera in the future.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Only the hardcore 'geeks' on such forum sites will hold back in buying from - the average joe wouldn't have a scooby when and if the touch is going to get the camera in the future.

95% of people don't even get that Apple updates iPods every September.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.