MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A patent application published today reveals that Apple may still be working on a video "answering machine" technology for inclusion with iChat. The technology made a brief partial appearance in early OS X Leopard developer seeds in December 2006, but was omitted from the finished product.

The patent application, filed in October 2007, describes the use of pre-recorded video messages that can be enabled and offered in response to video chat requests from other users. The pre-recorded video message could be displayed to the caller in response to a "do not disturb" status message on the part of the receiver or after a set period of time without a response from the receiver.

143923-ichat_answering_machine_300.png

The invention also includes possible additional features of allowing the original caller to leave their own video message for the receiver and a user interface for viewing the message at a later time. Incoming messages could either be stored locally on the receiver's computer or on a central server, allowing both outgoing and incoming messages to be stored for later delivery even when the receiver's computer is offline.

The use of pre-recorded video clips was also a concept employed in early prototypes of the iPhone. In that case, it was planned that iPhone users would be able to "call ahead", sending a pre-recorded video message to their intended recipient to be viewed before the recipient answered the call. With increasing evidence for video camera functionality in the next-generation iPhone, the possibility exists that the "video answering machine" technology could also make its way into Apple's mobile devices.

Article Link: Apple Still Pursuing iChat 'Answering Machine' Technology?

schneb

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
What if the other party does not have video capability? Will it work the same with just audio?

Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What if the other party does not have video capability? Will it work the same with just audio?

Well, given that it is designed to respond to incoming video requests, the other party would have to have video.

Comment

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
sweet. I can't wait till leave a video message with me riding the roller coaster!

Comment

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I'm not really sure how useful this would be. After all, in iChat, there is a pretty painfully simple way to tell if someone is or isn't there, without the need for a message telling a caller that they are not there.

I'm not sure I understand how the iPhone bit would work, either, but if done right it could be a very compelling feature...

Comment

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I'm not really sure how useful this would be. After all, in iChat, there is a pretty painfully simple way to tell if someone is or isn't there, without the need for a message telling a caller that they are not there.

I'm not sure I understand how the iPhone bit would work, either, but if done right it could be a very compelling feature...

I dont think you understand how this is going to work, its not just something to let you leave a message saying you aren't available, its an answer phone, so you can leave a message for other people when you call them if they aren't available, like on your normal phone. Yahoo messenger already has it.

Comment

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Before this, how about they make it usable with the rest of the world first.

Comment

micko2004

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
iPhone would have to have a camera on the front screen side though to work, right? :)

Comment

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
The conversation I had with a person that works for apple is coming to be more and more a reality.
I was told there would be an instant messaging application designed by apple and "BOOM!" Here comes this nice little patent that has been sitting since 2007 seeing the light of day.
If you think about it, it would be easier to leave a video message by having a front facing camera to make sure you are centered in the video and or to reject it or reposition your iphone to make it just right.
That being said, Im betting on a front facing camera.
That is one of the hardware features allot of users have been gunning at since the 1st iPhone.
I know I might get a bit of "flack" and others ruling out a front facing camera, but in all reality some countries use a front facing camera phone to converse with family members in other parts of the world.
Given the iphones popularity and also user base, it would be a nice little edition IMO.....

In ending, Allot of Mac users use iChat on their macs, so it would make perfect sense to make some sort of application on the iphone to regulate when a call/incoming message is received. Instead of the incoming chat to take over what the user is currently doing

Comment

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
iPhone would have to have a camera on the front screen side though to work, right? :)

Your right!
There are other forums that I am apart of with people complaining about Apple not adding iChat (This has been since the 1st iPhone), that being said, It will only be plausible for the iphone to have a front facing camera.

Comment

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
the governator

this sounds like Total Recall.

baby...you making me wish i had three handsssssss.

Comment

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Calling Dick Tracy, calling Dick Tracy...

"Please leave your video message at the tone."

Awesome. This would rock if it comes to fruition. :)

Comment

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
I really hope this is incorporated in the upcoming iphone. I got so amped up last time around over the speculation of this tech. By the time it was unveiled, I was beyond disappointed lol.

Comment

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
if this comes out i will definitely purchase the system!! man. just what i want - another web based service that replaces something i pay for per month!

Comment

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
I really hope this is incorporated in the upcoming iphone. I got so amped up last time around over the speculation of this tech. By the time it was unveiled, I was beyond disappointed lol.

Matter of fact that same speculation was shown here on this site. The patent details with it showing iChat along with other new features. I was a little dismayed as well but figured it would be the following iPhone that would present the feature set along with all of the other major upgrades to the phone as they saw fit.
Seems as though they have been focusing on all hardware feature sets that need to be implemented into this new version. So like you and others We will see what is in the final product and what is not.
iChat would be awesome but all the same Apple is the only one who knows what will or will not be entered, thats why hopes do not get too high on all rumors that come along. Even though it sounds nice

Comment

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Video messaging seems to me at best to be of marginal utility - though this may change in the future. If not everyone owns the technology, then the application of it has limits.

One day when we all own iPhones and Macs, I can see this being a no-brainer.

:apple:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.