Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I like email and text and don't really see where a video answering machine will get us...

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I dont think you understand how this is going to work, its not just something to let you leave a message saying you aren't available, its an answer phone, so you can leave a message for other people when you call them if they aren't available, like on your normal phone. Yahoo messenger already has it.

OK, I re-read the article and I think I misplaced like a word or two, which totally changed my understanding of the technology.
This could be cool, then.

Of course, there is the argument as to whether Video is really a good way to communicate from computers or iPhones (as the drunk dial comment exemplifies), but I hope and pray that this thread does not descend into an argument over that topic...

bobajoul

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2005
Beyond iphone

This may also be used in other appliances. Verizon recently revealed a home phone with software interfaces and conferencing features that used your wireless and VOIP connection. You could see some form of video appliance (perhaps the much rumored tablet that did more than internet surf) that Apple and ATT sell. I have heard rumors the ATT relationship will be extended. This would be a nice fit for both companies.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
and the phone flying away....
:confused:

He meant using the Roller Coaster background in iChat. Not recording his message while on the Superman. :p

This sounds like an interesting little feature. Maybe not one that makes me want the next OS, but an interesting one indeed.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Video messaging seems to me at best to be of marginal utility - though this may change in the future. If not everyone owns the technology, then the application of it has limits.

One day when we all own iPhones and Macs, I can see this being a no-brainer.

:apple:

Actually it can apply to the masses ,because there are a ton of people that have google talk, aim accounts, this will stem to those as well. I have several friends that do not own a mac that have Google talk and aim accounts that I chat with using iChat. Who knows if Apple plans on adding additional features to the iChat interface besides what is available now.
So the market does stretch beyond those whom own macs and iPhones as of right now with the mac version of iChat.
I can see Apple opening up the application to be more user friendly with other messaging applications like yahoo, msn for example( to enable video conferencing which allot of people use it for chatting and others for business purposes). Yahoo already has the ability to call others IM name and leave messages.....
Only thing needs to be implemented is adding other IM services to work with iChat... Problem solved

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
As if drunk texts and drunk voicemails weren't bad enough... :rolleyes:

Even better when you then send it to the wrong person.... i don't know who this idiot is leaving me a drunk video message but hmmm...

As to the technology I think we might need to wait and see on how it is implimented, in some ways it seems kind of pointless but if done right it could be quite useful.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
They say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

A video message could be worth more.

ex: "Hey, thanks for not picking up your phone. Just LOOK at what you're missing! (pan video of bar full of naked people with Bill Gates handing out free money) Sucks to be you!!"

Yeah, I can see that happening!!

:rolleyes:

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
They say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

A video message could be worth more.

ex: "Hey, thanks for not picking up your phone. Just LOOK at what you're missing! (pan video of bar full of naked people with Bill Gates handing out free money) Sucks to be you!!"

Yeah, I can see that happening!!

:D

grapemac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
One thing Apple are very good at is implementing features I've currently no use for that - when I have them - I end up using frequently.

I think I agree with what Stephen Fry said a while back; the third iPhone hardware/OS is going to be the big one.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Instead of text messaging it would be video messaging, eh? Nice!

Which would be lovely. I have been paying for unlimited text,video messaging etc. for our family talk plan for sometime now. The only ones that currently receive and send video messages are my wife and daughter. Hopefully this will change the game

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Front facing camera? Then what about pictures that your not in? Two camera's?? :confused:

What are you saying??
Pictures that your not in????......
I think you are missing the point.
The ability to have a front facing camera would make it easier to look at your display as well as see the person you are chatting with.
That is the reason for the front facing camera.
2 cameras:
1. On the back for capturing photos , videos etc..
2. Front facing camera to take face photos without searching blindly for the button that snaps the photo....
Clear enough for you?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
What are you saying??
Pictures that your not in????......
I think you are missing the point.
The ability to have a front facing camera would make it easier to look at your display as well as see the person you are chatting with.
That is the reason for the front facing camera.
2 cameras:
1. On the back for capturing photos , videos etc..
2. Front facing camera to take face photos without searching blindly for the button that snaps the photo....
Clear enough for you?

i think he was just giving you a hard time... although it's hard to tell

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
I don't think that there will be a front facing camera on the iPhone and I don't think video chatting will come to the iPhone, at least from any apple-made product. They're never going to have 2 cameras on a phone, because that would be paying extra for something that many people would not have ANY use for at all. It'll be a waste of money for ones who won't use it, or use it on an occasional basis. And they definitely won't take out the camera on the back.

Rarney22

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
i think he was just giving you a hard time... although it's hard to tell
No I wasn't trying to give anyone a hard time i was actually confused because i cant imagine apple giving us 2 cameras if right now their only giving us one 2 megapixel that doesn't have video. If your calling for more megapixels and video on each then that would be a pretty huge upgrade, something apple hasn't been doing much of lately. I hope this is more clear with my point.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I'm not too excited about this, but the one thing that made me happy was the remark about it working in an app on the iPhone :) A little more hope for a front camera! :D

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I remember seeing "Answering Machine" on iChat in Leopard beta build 10A222. At first I thought it was silly, more along the lines of the video effects. Then I began thinking about the concept.

As some on MacRumors may realize, the home computer system has been evolving quickly of the past few years. The trend seems to be heading towards an all-in-one home system, used for work, entertainment with iTunes and AppleTV, and communication with IM programs and mobile phones. Perhaps home computer systems become full communication systems, connecting with home and mobile lines. The computer interacts with digital cable systems and/or land lines, becoming an answering machine. A message is digitally recorded for audio and video communication, depending on the type of medium an away message is played and the computer system records any left messages. With the "Time Capsule", messages may be stored and retrieved from any where using your iPhone.

I know, at the point in the game it is simply conjecture, but it is an interesting concept. I'm not certain what hardware would be required in order for a standard land line to communicate with home computer systems, but it was an interesting idea.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I don't think that there will be a front facing camera on the iPhone and I don't think video chatting will come to the iPhone, at least from any apple-made product. They're never going to have 2 cameras on a phone, because that would be paying extra for something that many people would not have ANY use for at all. It'll be a waste of money for ones who won't use it, or use it on an occasional basis. And they definitely won't take out the camera on the back.

Don't worry, no matter how useless it really is the media will tell us how amazing it is and ask how we managed to live without it for a few thousand years :D

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I remember seeing "Answering Machine" on iChat in Leopard beta build 10A222. At first I thought it was silly, more along the lines of the video effects. Then I began thinking about the concept.

As some on MacRumors may realize, the home computer system has been evolving quickly of the past few years. The trend seems to be heading towards an all-in-one home system, used for work, entertainment with iTunes and AppleTV, and communication with IM programs and mobile phones. Perhaps home computer systems become full communication systems, connecting with home and mobile lines. The computer interacts with digital cable systems and/or land lines, becoming an answering machine. A message is digitally recorded for audio and video communication, depending on the type of medium an away message is played and the computer system records any left messages. With the "Time Capsule", messages may be stored and retrieved from any where using your iPhone.

I know, at the point in the game it is simply conjecture, but it is an interesting concept. I'm not certain what hardware would be required in order for a standard land line to communicate with home computer systems, but it was an interesting idea.

+1. i would really love my mac mini to be the center hub for my phone, my media center, my internet, my network and plain old computing!

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Video messaging seems to me at best to be of marginal utility - though this may change in the future. If not everyone owns the technology, then the application of it has limits.

You know this kind of comment was made when wall-mounted wooden-encased crank-type telephones were introduced to the world.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida

So what you are saying is that the iPhone will never see the light of day of video chatting using iChat AV???
Do you seriously believe that?
If so , then you need to take your blinders off. The world moves in faster circles towards the future of making it happen than others that are at a standstill and do not move by saying that it will never happen.......

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Apple has a winner if they include video and front-facing cameras in the next iPhone.

The world is full of teenaged girls that can't resist snapping a shot or two of their naked budding bodies. Now they will be able to do it with video. Stand ready to see more of Miley making mimi-vids for her 20 year old lover accidently making their way to the late-night internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.