Apple stock free-fall!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by roland.g, Jan 23, 2008.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

What is up with Apple stock?

It is in a free-fall. It was just around $200 per share a few weeks ago and now it is down around $135, dropping another $19 today alone!!!:eek:

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I have this view of the situation.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...k_drop_seen_as_latest_buying_opportunity.html

No one ever said that the stock market behaves the way you think it should. It will go back up unless Apple really does something to screw up.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm counting on today being the right day to buy shares.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Looks that way, if only I had the money to gamble.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Theres a threat of recession right? Stocks will inevitably go down as people sell their shares at the higher rate before the recession kicks in when stock values will definitely fall. The more that sell the more the price goes down.

I'm not a stock guru by a long shot but I think now and in the immediate future would be a good time to buy Apple stock. It may initially continue to fall but with the way Apple is performing at the moment confidence will remain and the value will inevitably rise.

Just wish I had some money and knew how to go about buying shares. :D

EDIT: Actually WTF am I talking about? Now is a good time to sell. Buy when the recession hits! Damn I'm a frickin idiot. Thats why its going down because people are selling.

6. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

7. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Yes, my retroball tells me I should have bought all I could at $78 Dec 2006 and sold it all at $200 Dec 2007. Then I could have rebought in the near future. Where's Doc Brown when you need him.

8. MBX macrumors 65816

i was so dumb not having sold when it was at 200. was too optimistic about the macworld and never could've thought the entire market would fail so quickly.

anybody know if i should wait out, let me know if there's any hope of aapl getting back up again.

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

May I just add that today alone, Steve Jobs has lost $148,090,241.69.

That's no fun at all.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

How does one go about buying, say $2000 or so of Apple stock?

11. John Purple macrumors regular

No surprise that Apple stock is falling, falling and falling as Apple is seen as a consumer goods maker. Consumption sectors in US and Europe aren't really a big hit at the stock exchange for the moment ;)
    Maybe (and hopefully) this downturn makes SJ think of investing more in Apple's Pro lines.
    (Still waiting for MBP & Aperture updates :( )

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Recently, stock markets around the world are all exhibiting the same downward trend. Some might think it's the "R" word.

13. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

14. macmike47 macrumors regular

Lol, that's funny :p

Poor Steve... Then again, it's not like he'll miss it.

Also, it's an impetus to not stop making cool products.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My retroball tells me I'm an idiot for selling all the shares that I bought at $12 when the stock was at $60 before the first split. It's all I hear in the quiet times...

idiot idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit idiot idiot idoit......

16. macmike47 macrumors regular

Hey, that's a 400% gain... Not bad going. But yeah, you have a point. We could all use a retroball.

17. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Yeah, its not really apples fault as far as i can tell...the whole stock market is kinda crashing at the moment. Turn on the news for a peek...

18. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Almost everyone is taking a beating right now....But Steve Jobs might be out of comission for a couple days to get over the hang over he is creating today!

19. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Might be a good idea to SELL now before it goes below $100 per share. Its really falling fast.

20. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

This is a phenomenal buying opportunity. This is when you really make your money, when the masses run the opposite direction. The price apple is at now is what it should be if earnings were stable. But they're not. They're on a quickly expanding trajectory. They just released a groundbreaking new laptop, and will be at the forefront with multitouch trackpads the way they were with iPods. They have an enormous reservoir of untapped market share. They have no debt and oodles of cash.

Yes, the stock could go down more tomorrow, and the next day, and the next week. But over the next 3-5 years - which is the perspective you should have - it'll probably double from current levels. It does take a strong stomach to buy now, but you'll be rewarded if you hang on. $25 cheaper than yesterday! That's a sale, baby. They may even buy back some of their own shares. If I had a buck to spare, i'd be buying right now. Unfortunately it's already invested, have to wait for the next paycheck to put in s'more. :)

21. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

You would have to be an idiot to buy right now. Maybe in a few weeks but not today. Its falling too fast.

22. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yea I just bought in. Today or tomorrow will be the bottom (extremely short-term).

23. NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

I think he can handle it ;)

24. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

It would have been nice to sell at the top, but if it never went above $140 in the first place it still would have been an enormous gain over the last year.

I'm not going to sell into a panicked market.

25. Izzy macrumors member

I think Apple is a victim of the broader economic climate. I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with Apple as a company. With the housing and credit problems in the United States being expected to cause a decline in consumer spending, Apple's revenue is expected to grow at a slower pace. Apple is a growth stock and much of the price on any given day reflects the market's confidence in Apple's prospects for future growth. Given the state of the economy, these prospect are not as bright now as they might have been.