Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Purple

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Yea I just bought in. Today or tomorrow will be the bottom (extremely short-term).

Good luck :)

Dow and Nasdaq just fell a bit the last days while stock exchanges in Europe and Asia dropped by 20% and more in the last days. There is more to come for the US too :eek:

Trooperof3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
[INSERT EVERY CURSE WORD KNOWN 2 MAN HERE]

128 (-27) ouch.. this is killing me.. To think it was JUST at 200 I thought everything was booming. I can't take to much more.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I think Apple is a victim of the broader economic climate. I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with Apple as a company. With the housing and credit problems in the United States being expected to cause a decline in consumer spending, Apple's revenue is expected to grow at a slower pace. Apple is a growth stock and much of the price on any given day reflects the market's confidence in Apple's prospects for future growth. Given the state of the economy, these prospect are not as bright now as they might have been.

That's a lot of buzz words up there, Izzy :eek:

128 (-27) ouch.. this is killing me.. To think it was JUST at 200 I thought everything was booming. I can't take to much more.

Cheer up -- it just recovered to 129!:D

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Makes the impression that it will go back down to last years value of below 100 and further down.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
You would have to be an idiot to buy right now. Maybe in a few weeks but not today. Its falling too fast.
Then I'm an idiot. And one who's going to make a good bit more money out of my Apple stock. If you wait to sell till it stops going up, or wait to buy until it stops going down, you're destined to buy high and sell low. You never know, short term, whether it's going up or down. You just don't. But long-term, if the fundamentals are good, you're going to make money. Just returning to its previous high - which it will almost certainly do within the next 3-5 years - will make you on the order of 60%. If it goes down even more, you buy even more. But you're kidding yourself if you think you know when it's hit top or bottom.

Right now there are bargains EVERYWHERE in tech. Look at garmin. Despite all indications of an enormous amount of sales over the holidays, it's selling at 50% off. That's 100% gain if it just returns to previous highs.

pnorris3

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
What to do I bought a little while ago at $190? Best to hold on I guess for the next several months. Any suggestions from you guys?

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
"So if it is a... bagel, the Fed thinks it's gonna be a mild bagel"

Apple has always outperformed wall street's expectations. Flat sales in iPods and their little teleconference with low expectations have people running. The market is going down, so you have to sell the most lackluster first...

mr.666

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
Yea I just bought in. Today or tomorrow will be the bottom (extremely short-term).

agree. like it's been said before the WHOLE worlds markets are suffering too. i'm giving it two weeks before making a buy or sell desisions. i bought apple at 120... so i will buy more.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
What to do I bought a little while ago at $190? Best to hold on I guess for the next several months. Any suggestions from you guys?

Keep it. It's price is only in paper, after all. Put some music on, stick you fingers in your ears and don't look for another 6 months. You'll be fine :)

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere

Apple is a solid company with solid earnings. I agree with what others have said that its the market and economy in general that is driving down the price. If you have money, let drop a little more and pick up some shares. Just humble opinion :eek:

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Keep it. It's price is only in paper, after all. Put some music on, stick you fingers in your ears and don't look for another 6 months. You'll be fine :)

What does make you think that this will be the case?

It could go down again to 100 or below as well and stay there for a year or longer or never recover to beyond 130, especially if the U.S. semi-recession is continuing like this, the dollar falling and so on. Apple can't help it if the entire market drags it's shares down.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
What does make you think that this will be the case?

It could go down again to 100 or below as well and stay there for a year or longer or never recover to beyond 130, especially if the U.S. semi-recession is continuing like this, the dollar falling and so on. Apple can't help it if the entire market drags it's shares down.

Well how are you judging a bottom to this? I'm looking at today's intraday happenings, for one...

Remember:
$18 Billion in the bank, no debt, blow-out quarter, new markets to expand into...

Earnings growth 40-50%, and people are selling?

EDIT: And yes, I'll put my money where my mouth is. I bought more at $128. I'm up nearly $10 a share today.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
First I dont own any APPL shares BUT here is my take on the situation.

First as many people have said all the markets are in panic right now so it is definatly not a time to sell. You either sell at the start of a panic (hard to tell) or dont sell at all. Dont forget that you only lose money when you sell, if you keep the stock it is only a lost on paper.

Here is my analysis of the situation and why the present is a good time to invest in APPL.

First Apple is a strong company with solid financial positions. They sell many desirable products and have the favor of the public. The market is currently diminishing all of these because they see Apple as supplier of commodity products which are often hit hard during recessions. The recession might hit Apple a bit but not much because Apples' market is quite resilient to recessions: educated workers (computers) and kids/teen (music & iPod). These group will keep buying the same products because they are already willing to pay a premium for the apple logo so to them a recession just mean that the product cost more (since they have less money).

Recession also means that the production cost of all products will decrease, which in return will yield more money to Apple. It could also allow Apple to buy some company on the cheap.

In the mid to long term, I dont think there is any reason to worry about the share. But I understand the feeling of the people who bought it at 190$. I still have shares from a company that I got at 11$ that now worth about 1$. It sucks but it balances the ones I got at 3$ that worth ten time more now...

Is it time to buy now? I cant tell. But if I had money to put in APPL, I would buy 1/3 of my budget today, 1/3 next week and the rest in another week. If the price keep falling down, I would reassess the situation. If everything was still equal, I would keep buying in small chunk. This might sound stupid but this is how you protect yourself againts risks. Each time you get more stock, you reduce the average cost of each of your share so once it rebounce (and it will eventually) you can make a quick profit and not have to wait for it to get back to its top level.

It will be great to resurect this thread in a few months ;-)

Bad market situation are the best way to test your nerves.

LangleyAls

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
the rebound is all down to me guys! i was an idiot and sold at 128, now just look at it rise on up! i take full credit...

(DAM)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#

This can happen in the stock market. If you do not feel comfortable with this, then maybe individual stocks or investing in the stock is not for you.

There are other ways of increasing your networth. And all have their pros and cons.

Don't panic.

The market is moving. Apple as a company has not changed in the last couple of days. It is still solid with a growing market share.

That's what always happens...
Yep.

Buy high and sell low -- not what you want to do that much is for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.