Apple Stock Opens Trading at $300 Per Share

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 13, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In something of a psychological milestone, Apple's stock opened for trading today at just over $300 per share, having risen 25% since late August and 42% since the beginning of the year.

Apple has passed several stock-related milestones so far this year, including blowing past $200 billion in market capitalization back in March and passing Wal-Mart in market capitalization just a few days later. In April, Apple's stock topped $250 for the first time, and by late May Apple had passed Microsoft to become the second-largest U.S. company by market capitalization, trailing only Exxon Mobil.

Since that time, Apple has expanded its lead over Microsoft in market capitalization to nearly $50 billion, although it has been unable to close the gap on Exxon Mobil as the energy giant's stock has also performed well over the last few months.

Apple is due to release its earnings report for the June-September quarter next Monday, with some observers predicting that the company will reach $20 billion in quarterly revenue for the first time in its history and surpass Microsoft in revenue for the first time in 15 years.

Article Link: Apple Stock Opens Trading at $300 Per Share

2. landscapeman macrumors regular

Makes me wish I would of held on to the stock past 280.

3. BayouMan macrumors member

won't be a big surprise

Estimates put Mac quarterly sales over 4 million.
    I cannot walk across our university campus without seeing Mac laptops in virtually every students hands.

They have become the standard.

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

AAPL is easily the biggest gainer in my portfolio. My only regret is not buying shares sooner.

5. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Why couldn't I have had money to spend on AAPL stock back when it was $60? sigh.

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Or when it was $4/share

8. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

Should've bought stock when the iPhone was introduced...

9. Xavier macrumors 68030

10. plokoonpma macrumors member

plokoonpma

Every time Apple achieves something I remember Michael Dell and his advice to Apple when he said Apple should reimburse the money to the stock holders.
    Ironic eh?
    Apple 300.76
    Dell 14.06

hehehe :D

11. Greydog macrumors member

Don't get too cocky Apple, your lead over M$ will not last long - they have "Windows Mobile 7" now. :rolleyes:

12. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I bought 20 shares earlier this year (at $240) after I read an article that said it will hit 300 before year's end. My wife thought I was crazy because the only other times I bought individual stocks was AOL and Sirius radio and those were disastrous.

Yay, I finally made a smart investment move!

Now I remember telling my wife I would sell once it hit 300 but I can't bring myself to do it!

13. Dooger macrumors 6502

Oh dear God. Cvaldes has wet dreams about threads like this. How long til he's on pontificating about the three shares he inherited in 1985 like he's JD Rockefeller

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Checks portfolio.

AAPL up 2,579.86% since I bought in. :D :D

Can't wait for the earning announcement next Monday.

15. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Actually market capitalization looks like this:

AAPL 274.95B
    DELL 27.40B

:) Apple is only worth 10 dells? ;)

16. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

It's good to see people making money off of Apple's continued innovation and success.

For all that invested, long may it continue! :)

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How much is too much?

I mean many other successful multibillion dollar corporations issue a stock split when they perceive their stock prices get too high.

I know of other corporations that have high share amounts. Consider WTM which is floating around 312 right now. I remember when it was in the 600s a few years back.

18. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Dell is dead money........... just like MSFT and Adobe.

The only serious (big) player left to compete with Apple is Google. These two companies will rule the digital world. Between the two, aapl is a much better bet.

cheers to the longs
    JohnG

19. Jeffacme macrumors member

Current price targets range from $325 to $385 I am not selling and will play deep in the money calls on every pullback.

20. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Not me. I got out about there and I'm perfectly content. I'm happy to see the stock continue to rise. The continued rise of AAPL is dependent on monetary liquidity which is certain to plummet. It isn't a question of if. It's a question of when. Getting out ahead is a win.

21. carmenodie macrumors 6502a

I hope you're being sarcastic cause MS doesn't even take the risk of controlling the cell phone hardware running windows mobile 7.
    The hardware is the responsibility of 3rd party celly makers. That compete with one another. Apple makes money form their hardware and software. Thank you.
    MS saturated itself my licensing off their desktop OS to every tom, dick and harry OEM on earth. And with that business move came a flood of cheap a** pcs. No money in that crap. You can go to 7-11 and pick up a decent pc for about $99.00. pathetic. LOL!
    Normally when companies like MS become that big and saturated but still get pressured by wall street to make more money and get that stock up, they have to cannibalize themselves. Just like McDonalds. You can get 50 chicken nuggets for $10.00. WTF! that wasn't happening a few years ago.
    MS is going down. And so is Ballmer.

22. b11051973 macrumors 6502

A number of years ago, some stock trading website had a deal where you got a free 512MB iPod shuffle. If you signed up and bought over $100 in stock, you got the iPod. If I remember, I bought 2 shares of Apple stock at around $80 or so. As soon as I got the iPod, I sold the stock and that was that. I'm now wishing I had bought like a million shares. :D

23. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Why does MR care so much about the stock and similar-non Apple product news? Seriously, this website has really changed over the past 1-2 years. It's all about Jobs (such as his airport problem and supposed 1-word email replies) and the stock price of Apple. News? Maybe. Front page? Definitely not.

Again, for a site called MacRumors, there hasn't been a Mac rumor in years here.

-Eric

24. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Watch it plummet when Steve-o stubs his toe, retires, announces he might retire, etc.

Too bad stock price is a complete illusion that has little to do with a company's product or health, and everything to do with traders gambling that it will rise or fall. (I'm not saying Apple doesn't have good products, or isn't a healthy company--but it's the same company it was a year ago, and a year before that; so the surge in stock is based on speculation)