Apple Stops Signing iOS 8.4

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 24, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has stopped signing iOS 8.4 for compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models, meaning that users can no longer upgrade or downgrade to that version using iTunes. Apple is now signing iOS 8.4.1 and later only.

iPhone, iPad or iPod touch users that have jailbroken their device on iOS 8.4 should refrain from updating to iOS 8.4.1, as the latest software update breaks the iOS 8.4 untethered jailbreak released in June by Chinese hacking team TaiG.

Chinese team Pangu demonstrated an iOS 8.4.1 untethered jailbreak (via iPhoneHacks) at the HackPwn2015 security conference last week, but the method has not been publicly released. With the public release of iOS 9 expected in less than a month, it is possible the team may hold off on exposing an exploit to Apple for a minor software update.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 8.4

2. rmbpuser macrumors 6502

Is it that hard for Apple to make the iPhone unjailbreakable?

3. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Some would hope that's exactly the case.

4. millerlite macrumors regular

millerlite

Anhone else feel really uncomfortable about putting Chinese software on your phone?? And MacRumors is helping them advertise...

5. KALLT macrumors 601

Would you feel better about it if it were American software?

6. jdillings macrumors 68000

Yeah putting software written by Chinese hackers on your phone doesn't seem to be the smartest thing. For all we know, Pangu could be composed of hackers working for the Chinese government.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Well, seeing how my iPhone is already running American software as is any Windows or Android device, the answer is yes.

8. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

No.

Not all Chinese software is spyware or malware. I have my iPod touch jailbroken with TaiG on iOS 8.4 and everything has been fine.

9. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Yeah, it's so weird to put Chinese software on a phone that's made there with pars from all over the world...

10. KALLT, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

KALLT macrumors 601

Are you sure that all your software originates in the US? Including all the apps you run? Do you check each time whether the developer is not Chinese?

Of course not, you install the software because you trust the origin. You trust Apple, you trust the App Store. You don’t trust obscure programs from random sources on the web whether they come from China or not (it is also easy to setup servers in the US, by the way). Jailbreaks are exploits and notoriously secretive and you can thus never be sure that you are not putting yourself at risk. No need to start becoming suspicious only because these hackers happen to operate from China. The developers of other jailbreaks are even more difficult to track.

11. gadgetguy03 macrumors regular

This is rather unfortunate but it's not something I didn't see coming.

8.4.1 was constantly locking up my Music app and anything I would do with my Apple ID in Settings on my iPhone 6. A reboot would fix it for a couple of hours until it prompted me to sign up for Apple Music again. If I attempted to sign up again it would lock up and any request to View my Apple ID would cause it to time out. I did a fresh install of 8.4.1 and it still happens, though not nearly as frequently.

I posted on Apple's support forums only to get similar responses.

The thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7183496?tstart=0

12. jwm macrumors 6502

jwm

I'm having this issue on my iPhone 6 too. It's very annoying rebooting my phone multiple times a day just to keep it functioning properly.

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Well, every iPhone that has been mass produced has been assembled in China. If we wanted to be really paranoid, we could worry that the Chinese could be installing something in the phones during assembly that allows them to silently hack into the device at the hardware level.

14. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I smell some xenophobia here.

15. agsystems, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

agsystems macrumors 6502a

No, they can query the phone and refuse to install any apps from Itunes or the App store if the phone is not set to factory default. Btw- this is the same thing the PS4 does - unless you update your console, you cannot play anything on it.

The question is would it be worth it to annoy the 5-10% of people who jailbreak? after all, these are paying customers as well.

16. HannahB4U macrumors newbie

HannahB4U

WAIT, does this mean that it was still possible to upgrade to 8.4 even with 8.4.1 available up until yesterday?

17. agsystems macrumors 6502a

Yes - the window is usually open for 1-2 weeks after a new release

For next time, bookmark this site which has a live status of what firmware are currently being signed:
    https://ipsw.me/8.4

18. HannahB4U macrumors newbie

HannahB4U

Dammit, did not know that, wish I had..., haha!! so now its too late, blehh!
    I gotta admit, the only reason I didn't do anything is cause I needed to backup my phone first (haven't since I got it, so over a year), and needed space on my computer to do it to then upgrade,and finally got enough space, lol...
    So, I'm still iOS 7.0.x, should I update, lol?

19. allpar macrumors 6502

allpar

Only update if you like having a secure phone. Otherwise feel free to use IOS 7.

20. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

No. I suspect that they keep a sliver of a window open for jailbreaking to keep the xx% of jailbreakers in the iOS fold. If they couldn't jailbreak some/many/most/all would switch to Android.

Only update if you want to turn your phone into a secure slug. Otherwise continue to enjoy using iOS 7.

21. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

nah wait a few more weeks and just do iOS 9 then. It should work better than 8 anyway.

22. seamer macrumors 6502

seamer

I like the idea behind jailbreaking but it never satisfied me with offering other ways of securing my phone. I couldn't justify adding another attack vector to my iDevice just for the sake of a few more wallpapers or whatever it is JB's offer these days.

23. 2457282 Suspended

They did something to the ATV 3 which makes it unbreakable, which is why the ATV2 is more valuable on ebay. Clearly there is something they can do, but I assume they are holding back for some reason. Can anyone shed additional light (spotlight maybe...:D)

24. elvismsmarta macrumors newbie

I tried to downgrade to IOS 8.4 from 8.4.1 and it has bricked my 4s. When i try to get back to 8.4.1 it brings up the error 48. Am kinda stuck now the iPhone boots shows the apple logo then it disappears. Anybody with such an experience?