Apple store able to swap eligibilities?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wailord, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Wailord macrumors 6502

Hey everyone... I intend to get the new iPhone when it comes out, but I've used up my upgrade eligibility (well, someone else on the family line did). While I know that I can use one of the other two upgrades available on my account, do you think that Apple Stores are able to do this? Also, can Apple deal with accounts with state discounts (I assume FAN)? Thanks in advance, guys. It's just a matter of camping out at Apple or AT&T at this point. :rolleyes:

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

No, the upgrade eligibility is from the carrier so Apple only have control of the upgrade eligibility on the number you're intending to upgrade. They have no access to your other accounts. You'd have to go to the AT&T store to upgrade (well, the owner of the account will have to unless you have access rights on the account).

4. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it, makes sense. Appreciate the help - guess I'll hit up AT&T. Thanks.

Would you agree with the above? I know it's /possible/, I'm just uncertain whether it's doable at an Apple location.

5. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Also make sure if it's not your name on the bill, they will have to be there authorize the change to another account.

6. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, I'm all set. Thanks.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can use the upgrade from another member of your family, but the account holder has to be their to approve it.

My sister and I have two different accounts, but last year I used her line to upgrade my iPhone 3G to the 3GS, and I gave her my 3G. the Apple Employee was aware of what we were doing, but she had to activate the 3GS with my sisters sim card first (which took 2 seconds), then the Apple employee swapped our sim card for us.

8. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

So you were able to use someone else's eligibility at an Apple Store? I sorta regret letting someone else use mine at this point... just gonna complicate things at this point. :x

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You could always upgrade their line and then head to an ATT store to get it sorted out

10. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess that's another option as well. I may go ahead and do this - upgrade an eligible line (if they can't get what I need done worked out) then swap.

11. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I was going to use someone elses upgrade on my account, order from apple, and swap the sim when it came... BUT the new iPhone will most likely take a microsim... :|

If I call AT&T will they swap the eligibility to my line, so I can upgrade as if I had the upgrade?

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Just head to an ATT store for it.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My sister and I went together to the Apple Store, she gave the employee her phone number and driver license to verify who she was, then she asked us which version we wanted (color, storage) and then I paid using my debit card.

the whole process was very simple and took no more than 10 minutes to complete.

as long as someone signs a new 2 year contract, AT&T doesn't care who pays or keeps the phone.

14. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Yea, I was going to order from apple, and then take the phone in and get a microsim.

15. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Unless I'm misinformed, I think you'll be able to just type in your cell phone number during the activation process in itunes and not have to deal with AT&T.

16. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

This is a common thing but you have to do it at an authorized AT&T store not apple store. And you have to be authorized user on account or the main account holder. It's called an upgrade swap

17. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I'll try to make it as simple as possible.

If the number on the account isn't eligible, you'll can use another number on the account to upgrade.
    How this works is, they add the phone and service onto the number that's been upgraded. It will take that service down for the other user for a few minutes.
    Once that is upgraded, they swap the numbers on the SIMs so that you can use it. It's not as simple as swapping out SIMS.

I also doubt they will have microsims for swapping out just yet since the only device that they sell it on will be the iPhone.

18. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It's not as simple as an eligibility swap. If there is someone on your family plan and they are willing to allow the upgrade swap, it affects them, not your eligibility. If they want to upgrade sometime in the future, they will have to use your eligibility.

19. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Hm? I know that when I use a family member's line to upgrade, it will automatically effect their upgrade eligibility in the future --that's not an issue. My point was unless I'm misinformed, when you activate the iPhone through itunes you're able to actually enter in the number for the line you're wanting to activate NOT the line I chose to upgrade with on AT&T, is that not the case?

20. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

They activate the number on the SIM before you even leave the store... Apple or AT&T store. You can't get it on one number, then just activate on another. The process is not that simple.

21. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Alright. I want to ORDER online and have the phone SHIPPED to my house, therefore I would go through the activation process myself. Are you saying, the SIM that will be shipped with the iPhone in the sealed box, will somehow already be tied down to the line I chose to upgrade with online?

22. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

With online orders, they check eligibility during activation IIRC (I've always went instore), so if your number isn't eligible, you won't be able to activate the phone. The reason they give you the price online is they check that you indeed have an account that can be upgraded.

23. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

That doesn't make any sense. I could pull the 4th gen out of my ass and activate it whether I was eligible for the discount price or not. It doesn't matter where the phone comes from.

EDIT: I say this because, If on my line I'm able to go to the Apple store and purchase for full retail price, why would I not be able to activate the iPhone because I'm illegible for a discount price. That's why I'm saying it's not making sense to me.

24. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Because you're still paying AT&T for what they subsidized on your last phone, that's why. If you have another line that's eligible, then that's the one that has to be upgraded, then the phones are swapped.

25. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Nah. Look, if the next iPhone used the same SIM as the current one, this wouldn't even be a question. It's done. You switch them out. What you're saying right now applies to my line not being eligible for the discount price in the first place. However, it does not apply to me not being able to "activate another iPhone on my line". That's garbage, doesn't make any sense. I know for a fact that if I went to the AT&T store and said "hey I used another line, but I want it switched over to mine and yada yada" chances are that'll be handled easily. That's not the point. My point was, I'm under the impression that I could simply handle all of this in the comfort of my own home through itunes during the activation process. So, my question to you was is the SIM in the sealed iPhone box that will be shipped to my house somehow tied to the line I chose to upgrade with online through the AT&T site, and you fail to really give me a clear answer, so f#ck it. I guess I'll find out in a week or two.

EDIT: WTF man, do you read? Haha, I see you added what's below to your comment. F#cking read man, seriously.