Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dutch media is reporting that an Apple Store at Leidseplein in Amsterdam was briefly evacuated today, likely after an iPad battery overheated.

apple-store-amsterdam.jpg
Image Credit: AS Media

At 2:20 p.m. local time on Sunday afternoon, the Amsterdam fire department tweeted that crews were on the scene. The tweet added that there was "no smoke" at the store, but "three people with breathing problems."

A spokesperson for the fire department said "there is probably a leaking battery pack," according to Dutch broadcaster AT5 and NH Nieuws. The incident was also reported by Dutch blog iCulture, which alerted us to the story.

Employees immediately placed the iPad in a container with sand, and the store was evacuated as a precaution, according to the reports. The three people who suffered breathing issues were treated on site by ambulance workers.

The breathing issues may have been prompted by chemical vapors or other irritating substances emanating from the iPad battery, according to the Amsterdam fire department, which aired out the store while it was evacuated.

Fortunately, there does not appear to have been any significant injuries or damage. At around 3:00 p.m. local time, employees and customers were allowed to re-enter the store as usual, according to the reports.

It's unclear if the iPad battery pack was an official part from Apple or an aftermarket replacement, or if the potential overheating was the result of improper handling during servicing by a Genius Bar technician.

Earlier this year, an Apple Store in Zurich was evacuated following a similar incident with an overheated iPhone battery.

All in all, these incidents are quite rare, but a very small percentage of lithium-ion batteries do pose a risk of overheating, swelling, and bursting open. Without additional details, it's hard to pinpoint the exact cause.

We'll update this article if Apple comments on the incident.

Article Link: Apple Store in Amsterdam Evacuated, Likely After iPad Battery Overheated

Last edited:

JessicaRose304

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
UK
Bucket of sand! Good idea, will have one ready the next time I swap an idevice battery.

It's standard procedure. I work for a UK AASP and all apples service manuals instruct you to have sand available when handling parts or devices that could suffer a thermal event. I've seen it used and it actually works really well to smother the battery / device and stop a runaway event.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
A thermal event is classic corporate speak :)
It's standard procedure. I work for a UK AASP and all apples service manuals instruct you to have sand available when handling parts or devices that could suffer a thermal event. I've seen it used and it actually works really well to smother the battery / device and stop a runaway event.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
My God, now we have terrorist iPads! Just wait until they use ML to coordinate! Funny how they don’t say if it was a mini, 9.7, 10.5 or 12.9! We must know who did this!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
iPad warranty immediately voided...

Apple: “Sorry, we don’t warrant devices which have been immersed in sand. We found particles of dirt and sand inside your device when we opened it to examine the battery.”

Customer: “But you did that”

Apple: “We don’t recall the incident that you speak of. Apple products do not have those kinds of battery issues. Your battery problem was caused by corrosive chemicals in the dirt we found in the contacts.”

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
A thermal event is classic corporate speak :)
It certainly is. But then, a more incendiary term would only inflame emotions. :)

Seriously, if you have a location crowded with members of the general public, the staff often uses code words in order to avoid a general panic. The security/public safety staff at a stadium or airport has a whole list of such code words. Each conveys specific meaning and triggers specific procedures.

In this specific example someone announces, "Thermal event." The staff knows exactly what's happening, and they take well-rehearsed steps to address the specific problem. (They bury the thing in sand, isolating and dampening the runaway chemical reaction while it runs its course. Traditional fire extinguishers are ineffective for this kind of thing - they're designed to temporarily deny oxygen to open flames.) Staff can then evacuate the area without risking the panic that might ensue if they'd simply shouted "FIRE!"

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
My original 5s battery burst and destroyed the phone. Apple said they'd replace the phone for $350. They can go to Hades.

Reactions: Onexy

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
This isn't as uncommon as some would like to think. Look at all the swollen battery issue with all of Apple's devices. Lots are reported in the beginning, but then the push immediately dies. That's the difference when it comes news like this in the tech industry. When negative news happens to Android OEMs, it gets pushed by everyone. Android websites and Android users take no prisoners when it comes to trashing Android OEMs. They are very critical of negative experiences with their Android devices. They will just keep pushing the story forever. For some crazy reason, Apple users go out of their way to protect Apple's image. They try their hardest to hide when they have warranty claims and negative experiences with any of their Apple devices. Only to get busted through a slip of the tongue by a partner or themselves. I don't know a single person who owns Apple devices that has not done this. It's not like they don't complain about any other product or service they pay for when they have a bad experience. But for whatever reason, Apple users have a very protective attitude with Apple. Very creepy. Maybe Android users having so much choice allows them to be more open with their experiences.

Cankoda

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Canada
This isn't as uncommon as some would like to think. Look at all the swollen battery issue with all of Apple's devices. Lots are reported in the beginning, but then the push immediately dies. That's the difference when it comes news like this in the tech industry. When negative news happens to Android OEMs, it gets pushed by everyone. Android websites and Android users take no prisoners when it comes to trashing Android OEMs. They are very critical of negative experiences with their Android devices. They will just keep pushing the story forever. For some crazy reason, Apple users go out of their way to protect Apple's image. They try their hardest to hide when they have warranty claims and negative experiences with any of their Apple devices. Only to get busted through a slip of the tongue by a partner or themselves. I don't know a single person who owns Apple devices that has not done this. It's not like they don't complain about any other product or service they pay for when they have a bad experience. But for whatever reason, Apple users have a very protective attitude with Apple. Very creepy. Maybe Android users having so much choice allows them to be more open with their experiences.

Where where you when bendgate happened, when the iPhone throttling happned, when the MacBook throttling happened. Apple users complain plenty, maybe they’re just happier and more satisfied with the service they get over android OEMs. Just a thought

Reactions: idmean

FourDegrees

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2017
... I don't know a single person who owns Apple devices that has not done this. ....
Maybe you don't have too many friends then. I know many people with Apple devices. Not a single one of them has mentioned any instance of problems with batteries. I'm one of them.

Reactions: LiveM

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
It certainly is. But then, a more incendiary term would only inflame emotions. :)

Seriously, if you have a location crowded with members of the general public, the staff often uses code words in order to avoid a general panic. The security/public safety staff at a stadium or airport has a whole list of such code words. Each conveys specific meaning and triggers specific procedures.

In this specific example someone announces, "Thermal event." The staff knows exactly what's happening, and they take well-rehearsed steps to address the specific problem. (They bury the thing in sand, isolating and dampening the runaway chemical reaction while it runs its course. Traditional fire extinguishers are ineffective for this kind of thing - they're designed to temporarily deny oxygen to open flames.) Staff can then evacuate the area without risking the panic that might ensue if they'd simply shouted "FIRE!"

They alzo risk a major lawsuit if they are using stupid terminology to cover the fact that there is a fire & someone dies.

Its a normal retail shop for goodness sake, this isn't a 100 000 seat superdome.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Maybe you don't have too many friends then. I know many people with Apple devices. Not a single one of them has mentioned any instance of problems with batteries. I'm one of them.

You just proved my point. Your knee-jerk reaction to protect Apple's image, got in the way of your reading comprehension skills. But I'll give you a chance for a do-over. Take a look at what you quoted, and then take your Apple Defense mode from "Auto" to "Pause", and I'm sure you'll see what I was actually referring to. Good luck. I'm rootin' for ya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.