Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now offering same-day delivery of certain products in its Apple Store app, through a partnership with Postmates. In the San Francisco Bay Area, the Apple Store app is offering a same day delivery option on products that are available in local Apple Stores.

For example, ordering an Apple TV in the San Francisco Bay Area results in a four-hour same-day delivery window, as does an order for a Lightning cable. In some areas, like San Francisco, delivery turnaround times are as fast as an hour, but for some products, delivery times can take up to a day.

deliverstodaypostmatesapplestore.jpg
Customers who have Postmates delivery options available to them will see same-day delivery options listed whenever they search for a product that is available for purchase in a nearby Apple Store. After an order is placed, the Apple Store app offers live tracking options that let customers know where an item is and track it as it progresses from the Apple Store to the delivery location. The app also delivers notifications with estimated delivery times and tracking information.

postmatecouriertrackingapplestore.jpg
Customers who do not live in an area where Postmates delivers will not see same-day delivery options for Apple products, instead receiving only standard shipment delivery times without an option for Courier Delivery.

Apple products have long been available for order through Postmates' own iOS app, but this is the first time that Apple's offered same-day delivery on orders in its own Apple Store app. Delivery price varies depending on location and the distance that needs to be traveled to transfer an item from the Apple Store to your doorstep. In our location in the South Bay, the delivery price was $19 regardless of what was ordered.

Postmates operates in several major U.S. cities, including San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC, Seattle, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Denver, San Diego, Orange County, Portland, Phoenix, Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Minneapolis, and Charlotte, but it appears that Postmates deliveries for Apple Store app orders may be limited in scope for the time being, available only in the San Francisco Bay Area.

postmatestracking.jpg
Update: We received our Postmates Apple Store order within 35 minutes, much faster than the four-hour delivery estimate. According to our delivery driver, Apple's partnership with Postmates is brand new, with Postmates deliveries from the Apple Store app kicking off today.

Article Link: Apple Store App Gains Postmates Integration With Same-Day Delivery

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
These delivery rates are expensive. eBay now and Google Shopping Express are cheaper. eBay now is also faster, generally within an hour.

Google Shopping Express does have a problem with shipping times, if you order day before you can get a window. Day of is generally sold out.

DocPenguin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Florida
No go in NYC

On the bright side, we do have Amazon Prime Now here, so I get free 2 hour delivery on a whole lot more than just Apple stuff :)

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
For a second I thought that said "Promotions" and I was thinking "A sale? Directly from Apple!?" :eek:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
$19 is kinda high . Though that is for the customer to decide how quickly they want it .

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Maybe this will be incentive enough for Amazon to switch over to a better shipping company. They use Ontrac mostly for same day and local deliveries where I live. Ontario is the crappiest of the crap delivery companies I have EVER had the pleasure of dealing with. Same day deliveries that come two days later, deliveries that never come, lost mail, a customer service center located in the seventh level of hell. Seriously, someone set this company on fire.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
Maybe this will be incentive enough for Amazon to switch over to a better shipping company. They use Ontrac mostly for same day and local deliveries where I live. Ontario is the crappiest of the crap delivery companies I have EVER had the pleasure of dealing with. Same day deliveries that come two days later, deliveries that never come, lost mail, a customer service center located in the seventh level of hell. Seriously, someone set this company on fire.

They use one around Boston called lasership, which is equally as bad.

I don't think postmates is quite the same thing though.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
I'd rather pay $19 than try to find a parking spot at the Valley Fair mall where the pictured Apple Store is. Seriously.

</rant>

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
$19 is kinda high . Though that is for the customer to decide how quickly they want it .

Hey, they don't call it "instant gratification" for nothing! 35 minutes is absolutely insane. I guess this is where the future of retail is going. Best Buy and those types better up their game!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd rather pay $19 than try to find a parking spot at the Valley Fair mall where the pictured Apple Store is. Seriously.

</rant>
Just avoiding getting off the freeway exits there would be enough to warrant that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A U.S.A.-only feature from Apple?

I'm flabbergasted.
A brand new feature that is likely initially being tested out and is only available in some geographic locations (and not even close to even a single country) that are mostly related to where the third-party that is involved operates? What a completely new and surprising concept that is just so odd and horrible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.