Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
The entire MacArthur Mall is shutting down due to financial reasons. Every tenant has been advised in writing that no leases will be renewed. This has been ongoing for 18 months. Poor reporting here blaming “incidents” without doing some basic journalistic fact checking.
Feel free to contact me at joe@macrumors.com.

The Virginian-Pilot suggests a tenant renewed their lease just 12-13 months ago?: "The mall’s largest remaining tenant is the Dillard’s department store housed in 253,616 square feet of the 927,692-square-foot mall. Regal Cinemas is second, occupying 80,210 square feet. The movie theater chain, which hasn’t reopened any of its theaters since temporarily closing them in October, extended its lease at the mall in early 2020 by two years, through Jan. 31, 2022, according to data from Trepp."

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Nice Apple Store you got there, be a shame if anything happened to it...
buy.jpg

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow, I wonder what it is about that mall that attracts crazy people. :(

Either way, I'm glad they're not laying off the employees. Hopefully they can all accept the alternatives Apple provides.

EDIT: Wow, I looked it up on Google Maps and it doesn't even seem to be a bad area. Downtown, by the river, looks nice. What's the deal?

First ... you make the assumption that people that go and shoot random people in public (or seemingly random - watch Jack Reacher as an example; fiction I know but it has merit) are crazy. Secondly you make the assumption that shootings ONLY happy in less than 'nice' areas.

Bullets nor People care where an area is before choosing to start shooting others. It happens and can happen ANYWHERE.

Some people are so upset, angry, down to their last thread and just go out and take their frustration out on the world, others may have actual mental conditions that rely on medications they've refrained from taking (or cannot afford). Further more it's possible another crime is going on nearby and their paid handsomely (even not directly; family taken care of in a few years) for them doing this. You don't, I don't, nobody really knows most of the time ... but let's not assume people that shoot others are 'crazy' or it happens in 'non-nice' areas.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
but let's not assume people that shoot others are 'crazy' or it happens in 'non-nice' areas.
This is getting off topic, but I'm of a fairly firm opinion that one has to have a level of sanity below what is typical to be willing to shoot another human being for any reason beyond self defense or defense of others' lives.

Rationally minded people don't freely commit murder and there's never a justification for it. It's part of living in a civilized society.

RS52

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
I worked at Apple Store MacArther Center for many years up until recently. The truth is there have been several shootings at the mall, one of which I was there for when we took all of the customers in the store to the Back of House (Vault) because we feared our customer's safety. We hired actual city police for our store and higher ups would come in and we would have team meetings as they were very concerned for our safety, we even had bomb threats. So one can not undermine Apple's decision to close citing a failing mall which had several major store closings. MacArthur Center is way in debt at this point and I believe our store kept them afloat but the decision to close was not solely economically based. We often had more business and foot traffic than out larger store at the Lynnhaven Mall. If any of my orchard peeps read this, I hope you find whatever is net for you!

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2020
What's a shopping mall? /s

OH! Is it one of those places from the 80s and early 90s?
The death of shopping malls is highly overstated. There was so much expansion in the 90s that we were bound to see some retraction. There was also a shift to outdoor shopping centers, which are basically outdoor malls. I would love to see some data on the actual rate of retail space construction in the US by square foot per year for the past few decades but I can't find any.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Becoming a typical life-cycle these days for a mall. As they continue to die -- as a city dies -- crime goes up and maintenance goes down. It's a shame. A lot of dead malls in the country with no end in site.

I watched a pretty interesting documentary from the '80s by the intrepid Charles Kuralt. This is the mall lifestyle I remember from my youth...

CBS News Special "The Mall" Oak Park Mall - Overland Park, Kansas (1982)

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I know they have Best Buy now doing repairs, but just the one store at Lynnhaven really isn't enough. The appointments for MacArthur were a week, week and a half in advance.

And I haven't heard of crime there recently, especially with Covid restrictions. The crime there also seemed sporadic and mainly due to the parking garage which is used for more than the mall.

I prefer Lynnhaven, because I can get in and out easily.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wow, I wonder what it is about that mall that attracts crazy people. :(

Either way, I'm glad they're not laying off the employees. Hopefully they can all accept the alternatives Apple provides.

EDIT: Wow, I looked it up on Google Maps and it doesn't even seem to be a bad area. Downtown, by the river, looks nice. What's the deal?

It's a shopping mall.. big places, heaps of people to mingle in-between so as not to get caught.

Apple wants to be in with more customers.. you sometimes have to take the bad with the good.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
More and more malls are having problems with violence and are having to do this....
If you want less economic activity, just implement practices that reduce security. Stop punishing for violent crime, let people out of jail early for heinous crimes.
There's nothing more terrifying than a giant elaborate dance number breaking out unexpectedly.
I lol'd at this!
Yeah. Especially since malls were never known to be places where groups of kids went to do nothing else except shop.
But times are different now.
Let's close this feedback loop. What financial reasons are causing MacArthur Mall to shut down? Could it be.... maybe.... gang violence dissuading customers from visiting the stores? ?
You've probably hit the nail on the head there.
First ... you make the assumption that people that go and shoot random people in public (or seemingly random...
You got it right n the first sentence, but then you veered off into the weeds.

After suicide, the biggest perpetrators of violent crime are those practicing gang violence. According to the FBI, up to 60% of all crimes committed with a gun (after you remove suicides) are committed by gangs.

America, the power is in your hands to stop this. If you choose not to, well then stores will continue to close and I'll continue to be right: As a nation, we get the violence we want.
This is getting off topic, but I'm of a fairly firm opinion that one has to have a level of sanity below what is typical to be willing to shoot another human being for any reason beyond self defense or defense of others' lives.

Rationally minded people don't freely commit murder and there's never a justification for it. It's part of living in a civilized society.
Oh yes they do make rational decisions. Gang members? 12 year old terrorists? This is not mental illness; it is a conscious choice, especially knowing that we refuse to punish for the crime of murder.

Here's what WOULD be insane: A person, knowing that the penalty for murder is death and seeing that the penalty is consistently meted out for the crime of murder....still commits the crime. That might be a level of lowered sanity.

But in this era? No, we DON'T punish harshly for serious crimes; not at all. And when we do, we let them out of jail at the blink of an eye (Covid, early release, etc). So engaging in violence can be and often is a conscious choice made by duly considering all of the pros and cons.
The death of shopping malls is highly overstated. There was so much expansion in the 90s that we were bound to see some retraction. There was also a shift to outdoor shopping centers, which are basically outdoor malls. I would love to see some data on the actual rate of retail space construction in the US by square foot per year for the past few decades but I can't find any.
Malls are dying all over. Many were actually demolished/removed in the 80s, long before your "90s expansion". Then they started dying again in the late 90s and the 10s, and continue to this day.

Google "dying malls", there are a number of interesting (but very sad) sites documenting the death of malls, complete with pictures.

Theresa757

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2021
The entire MacArthur Mall is shutting down due to financial reasons. Every tenant has been advised in writing that no leases will be renewed. This has been ongoing for 18 months. Poor reporting here blaming “incidents” without doing some basic journalistic fact checking.
Where do you get your information from? The mall is not shutting down and there have been zero notices about non-renewing of leases. I have a store there, none of this is true.

Reactions: Complex757

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Uh no it's not. Still there as of today no news of the mall itself closing.

Reactions: Complex757

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Uh no it's not. Still there as of today no news of the mall itself closing.
Not closing, no, but not financially healthy either.

It may actually never completely close, but there’s a lot of uncertainty about what their “Downtown Plan 2030” would bring. I can see how businesses that can afford to leave, would. I’m curious about this whole Starwood situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.