Apple Store Birmingham - Friday Warning

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheBama, Dec 16, 2014.

1. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Just a heads up to those doing Holiday shopping. A local Black Lives Matter group is planning to shut down the road leading to The Summit where the Apple Store is this Friday at 3. If they pull it off it's going to be a huge mess on the busiest road in the state and people will likely be stuck at the mall.

Would suggest avoiding the area altogether Friday.

2. Wiggle macrumors member

Thus causing everyone to not care about whatever cause they are protesting about. Pissing people off is terrible strategy.

3. kolax macrumors G3

If they didn't, then no one would pay attention to their protest.

4. Wiggle macrumors member

This is definitely ONE way to get people to pay attention, it's NOT the way to get people to care about it.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Protests are viable and are the only recourse aside from violence when the system fails you. Labor unions do this quite successfully, but usually are more orderly (strike) although some people still get pissed about the inconvenience.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm sick and tired of hearing about these protests. I wish they'd all get a job and stop this nonsense.

7. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Yes, protests are visible and one of the main ways to get that information out, but there has to be a better way than blocking traffic on a Friday? At that point, all they are going to accomplish is to piss people off and then the message gets lost. Just like when the people looted and burned buildings and cars after the verdict. It does no good at all for the cause.

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Yes. When I see of gangs shutting down traffic (causing people to be late picking up their kids, or missing their trains/flights) and generally causing mayhem, what sympathy I may have had for their cause evaporates.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, because being inconvenienced in traffic is way more important than shining a light on racism in this country.

10. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

If this is in regards to Ferguson, then it's not about "shining a light on racism".

11. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The mobs in Ferguson and in other cities where they looted, destroyed, and in some cases, became violent, may have garnered respect in your eyes, but not in mine.

Blocking streets, bridges, tunnels, etc. goes beyond just causing "inconvenience." Ask any ambulance driver or first responder trying to get through.